Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #18

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Petr Zamorsky won the #17 spot. G Mackenzie Skapski becomes the third goalie added to the poll.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. C J.T. Miller
2. D Brady Skjei
3. LW Anthony Duclair
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Jesper Fast
6. LW Pavel Buchnevich

SECOND TIER

7. C Oscar Lindberg
8. D Conor Allen
9. RW Danny Kristo
10. RW Ryan Haggerty
11. G Brandon Halverson
12. C Adam Tambellini

THIRD TIER

13. LW Marek Hrivik
14. C Boo Nieves
15. D Ryan Graves
16. LW Ryan Bourque
17. D Petr Zamorsky

Petr Zamorsky
Defense -- shoots R
Born Aug 3 1992
Height 5.11 -- Weight 185

2013-14 Zlin ZPS HC Czech 44 7-11-18 80PIM

zamorsky_d_c.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Andersson, Calle
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hughes, Tommy
Kantor, Michael
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Missiaen, Jason
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
Walcott, Daniel
Yogan, Andrew

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Easily Mat Bodie. He is the only one who has anything close to a 50-50 chance of playing in the NHL. Everyone else is a long shot.

Add Mantha, who was just drafted in the fourth round. Big bruising defenseman who, if he develops, becomes very useful for the team.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Easily Mat Bodie. He is the only one who has anything close to a 50-50 chance of playing in the NHL. Everyone else is a long shot.

Add Mantha, who was just drafted in the fourth round. Big bruising defenseman who, if he develops, becomes very useful for the team.

Who set his odds at 50-50?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Bodie, add Mantha - great size, i trust Clark about his skill potential, and he'll play Major Junior; except for the very best (McDonagh, hopefully Skjei) D men out of college seem a bit less immediately NHL-ready than D from Junior

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Went with Iverson. Current 3rd rounder has most value at this time. Add Hughes. Good AHL season coming from junior. All guys left are either boom/bust or lower ceiling. I'll take the safest player next to add in Hughes.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Who set his odds at 50-50?

My estimation is that Bodie has somewhere in the ball park of 50-50 of playing in the NHL. Not exact science, but I think he has a decent shot or he doesn't get the max ELC. Why didn't Hughes, Kantor or McCarthy get this kind of a contract in the same position? Hell, even Hrivik didn't. Conor Allen did and he looked really good last year.

At this point, we have to have at least some trust that the team's management knows what it's doing. It's similar to the way we rank the 3rd rounder ahead of the 7th rounder. Have we seen either of them? No, but presumably the management knows something about it, so we have to have some level of trust in them. Similarly, when they decide to give out a major contract, let's hope they know what they are doing.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If Bodie were anywhere close to a 50-50 shot to make the NHL, he wouldn't have gone undrafted.

I have faith in the Rangers management to scout these guys. I just see no way that any of the guys on the list at this point are remotely close to even odds to make the NHL.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I went Iverson, add McCarthy

Very telling that I can see this easily going to 25 with some guys who are at least decent NHL prospects still

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If Bodie were anywhere close to a 50-50 shot to make the NHL, he wouldn't have gone undrafted.

I have faith in the Rangers management to scout these guys. I just see no way that any of the guys on the list at this point are remotely close to even odds to make the NHL.

By the time Bodie began to perform at the college level, it was too late to get drafted. The draft argument doesn't work here. Many players who weren't drafted and certainly had a better than 50-50 chance of making the NHL as soon as they were signed.

In this case, I trust the management that it knows what it's doing in giving away a maximum ELC to a player, so he deserves the #18 spot, which isn't all that early at all.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Very telling that I can see this easily going to 25 with some guys who are at least decent NHL prospects still

We have some players who aren't in the poll yet who have a decent shot at the NHL: Yogan, Kantor, Hughes, maybe McCarthy. Then there's a series of defensemen (Andersson, Mantha, Noreau, Walcott, Nanne, Donnay) that we haven't seen enough of.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

the problem with this logic is that most kids who play NCAA don't enroll until they're 20.
If Bodie had been eligible after entering Union, he'd likely have been picked.
Drafting is lots of guessing based on limited data, otherwise Henrik wouldnt have been drafted a few rounds after a long-forgotten Union College goalie.

undrafted NCAA (like Allen, Bodie) or Junior kids (Girardi, Hughes) get signed over unsigned drafted kids (like the 2 guys who came to NYR Dev camp)

Not every athlete shows his upside potential by 18

would you rather have Hugh Jessiman or Dan Girardi?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
the problem with this logic is that most kids who play NCAA don't enroll until they're 20.
If Bodie had been eligible after entering Union, he'd likely have been picked.
Drafting is lots of guessing based on limited data, otherwise Henrik wouldnt have been drafted a few rounds after a long-forgotten Union College goalie.

undrafted NCAA (like Allen, Bodie) or Junior kids (Girardi, Hughes) get signed over unsigned drafted kids (like the 2 guys who came to NYR Dev camp)

Not every athlete shows his upside potential by 18

would you rather have Hugh Jessiman or Dan Girardi?

For all of the Hugh Jessimans and Dan Girardis, there are far more Hugh Jessimans that succeed (i.e. first round picks) compared with Dan Girardis (i.e. undrafted).

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
MSC add Andersson. I think Calle has potential to be a bottom pairing Dman in this league. Although hope has run out for me on Tomas Spelling, I think Andersson can still make it in the NHL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me we've been C+-B prospects pretty much since Kristo and we have a few more to go including everyone up for a vote now + McCarthy, Mantha and Walcott. There's almost a thousand ways to credibly rank the 9 through 26 prospects. Might even add Yogan, Hughes and Nanne. Most of these guys from Kristo on down are not going to make it IMO. I think there's a pretty good chance that 2-3 or 4 of them become decent NHL players--but I try to be an optimist.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
For all of the Hugh Jessimans and Dan Girardis, there are far more Hugh Jessimans that succeed (i.e. first round picks) compared with Dan Girardis (i.e. undrafted).

But we aren't talking about a first rounder nor about a run of the mill undrafted kid.

Matt Gilroy spent 4 seasons plus a half season in the NHL so far and may play more purely on the strength of his offense and skill.

At the same age, Bodie scored double points per game in college. If you compare their senior years when Gilroy was a year older than Bodie, Gilroy had .822 points per game, while Bodie had .975, significantly more at a younger age.

Stats don't mean everything, but it means an awful lot for an offensive player. It isn't as if Gilroy brought some kind of intangibles to the game. My only concern with Bodie is his ability to withstand the physical element of the game. If he can, no reason he can't have a career as a third pair guy.

Last edited:

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Went with the Canadian, err I mean Czech.

add Missiaen

But we aren't talking about a first rounder nor about a run of the mill undrafted kid.

Matt Gilroy spent 4 seasons plus a half season in the NHL so far and may play more purely on the strength of his offense and skill.

At the same age, Bodie scored double points per game in college. If you compare their senior years, Gilroy had .822 points per game, while Bodie had .975, significantly more at a younger age.

Stats don't mean everything, but it means an awful lot for an offensive player. It isn't as if Gilroy brought some kind of intangibles to the game. My only concern with Bodie is his ability to withstand the physical element of the game. If he can, no reason he can't have a career as a third pair guy.
Based on the age-production theory, if Bodie ended up somewhere between Krug and Girloy, I'd be very happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad