Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #15

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Boo Nieves won the #14 spot. G Igor Shestyorkin is the second goalie added to the poll.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. C J.T. Miller
2. D Brady Skjei
3. LW Anthony Duclair
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Jesper Fast
6. LW Pavel Buchnevich

SECOND TIER

7. C Oscar Lindberg
8. D Conor Allen
9. RW Danny Kristo
10. RW Ryan Haggerty
11. G Brandon Halverson
12. C Adam Tambellini

THIRD TIER

13. LW Marek Hrivik
14. C Boo Nieves

Boo Nieves
Center
Born Jan 23 1994 -- Baldwinsville, NY
Height 6.03 -- Weight 200

2013-14 U. of Michigan Big-10 34 3-19-22 18PIM

boo-nieves-michigan-hockey-thumb-646x429-134063.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Andersson, Calle
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hughes, Tommy
Kantor, Michael
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Missiaen, Jason
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
Nejezchleb, Richard
Skapski, Mackenzie
St. Croix, Michael
Walcott, Daniel
Yogan, Andrew

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Graves because he improved so much last year. He's probably underrated by now because as a defensive defenseman, he doesn't have flashy stats.

Add St. Croix because he is only a year removed from scoring over 200 points in his last two seasons in juniors.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Does anyone have last year's rankings? Curious where St. Croix ended up on that list. Oh have the mighty junior-league offensive stars have fallen.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Does anyone have last year's rankings? Curious where St. Croix ended up on that list. Oh have the mighty junior-league offensive stars have fallen.

In January, he was ranked #15, and last July he was #10. He probably won't be in the top 20 this time around. If he makes the AHL in the upcoming season, he will rise a little, and if he proves himself capable of scoring well in the AHL, he'll rise quite a bit. But if he gets stuck in the ECHL again, St. Croix will essentially fall off the radar and go to Nicholls level.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
voted Graves. St Croix for Pete Peters' sake!

I'll take a 5-10% chance of someone making it as a top-6 forward than a 30% of someone making it as a low-end player.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
still voting Bodie, then I'd go Graves but he'll probably make it sooner than Bodie.
Shestyorkin added ahead of Skapski? This board just like to fall for the next new thing
(yeah you could accuse me of that picking Bodie, I've watched Bodie a bunch, and anyone who watched the ECAC or NCAA playoffs knows why NYR signed him quickly)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
still voting Bodie, then I'd go Graves but he'll probably make it sooner than Bodie.
Shestyorkin added ahead of Skapski? This board just like to fall for the next new thing
(yeah you could accuse me of that picking Bodie, I've watched Bodie a bunch, and anyone who watched the ECAC or NCAA playoffs knows why NYR signed him quickly)

The word on the street is that he's much more talented than where he was drafted, but fell due to the Russian Factor. Shestyorkin put up very good numbers in the KHL and was just obscene in the Russian Juniors with 1.42 GAA and the league-leading .947 SV%. The mere fact that he was playing in the KHL (and putting up very solid numbers there) is extremely impressive for a 17-year-old, in particular a goalie, who take longer to develop.

Think about how much slack we give to a rare 19 year old who makes the AHL and keeps up there. And the KHL is superior to the AHL, while Shestyorkin is 2 years younger. And we don't even have anything to give him slack for - he got called up to the KHL and performed well enough that we don't need to give him slack, he only earned praise.

I want to see him stick around in the KHL the whole season next year, and if he does that, he'll need to skyrocket in our rankings.

If he can improve on his disastrous stick work and learn to focus better, he'll be an NHL player and a good one.

Last edited:

mti79

May 11, 2007
Voted for Iverson. Not really sure why. Add Nejezchleb.

In January, he was ranked #15, and last July he was #10. He probably won't be in the top 20 this time around. If he makes the AHL in the upcoming season, he will rise a little, and if he proves himself capable of scoring well in the AHL, he'll rise quite a bit. But if he gets stuck in the ECHL again, St. Croix will essentially fall off the radar and go to Nicholls level.

oh come on... maybe he's just a really late bloomer. He's 22 but he has still scored at every level. Hopefully he is in Hartford this year and takes another step. Probably asking way too much for him to become a productive NHL'er but he could be a guy who is in the AHL a while with occasional cups of coffee in the NHL.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Voted for Iverson. Not really sure why. Add Nejezchleb.

oh come on... maybe he is a really late bloomer. He's 22 but he has still scored at every level. Hopefully he is in Hartford this year and takes another step. Probably asking way too much for him to become a productive NHL'er but he could be a guy who is in the AHL a while with occasional cups of coffee in the NHL.

I don't think that asking him to establish himself as a top-9 AHLer while scoring 0.4-0.5 points per game is too much.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Graves.

How the hell has Skapski not been added but Shesterkin and Halverson have?

Add Skapski

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Why is Nejezhchleb getting votes ahead of our fourth rounder Mantha, who a few days ago was chosen 18 picks earlier?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Probably because of the lack of knowledge of Mantha as a prospect. Hard to rank a prospect most of us, including me, don't know about.

I like Nejezchleb better regardless.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Why is Nejezhchleb getting votes ahead of our fourth rounder Mantha, who a few days ago was chosen 18 picks earlier?

People asked the same thing last year when Buch (And I think Duclair) were voted ahead of Tambellini. Sometimes HF doesn't value prospects the same way NYR management does.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
These polls are tough for me this year. So many guys that I haven't seen at all. I've made it a point over the past five years or so to avoid trying to analyze guys I haven't watched, and we have so many of them this cycle. Based off of scouting reports, I really want to vote a guy like Zamorsky higher up the list, but I'm holding back because I just don't know enough about him. It's almost the opposite of Shiny New Toy Syndrome.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00