Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #14 TIE-BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Marek Hrivik and Ryan Haggerty are too close to each other to make a call, so we are going to a tie-breaker.

Marek Hrivik
Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Aug 28 1991 -- Zilina, Slovakia
Height 6.01 -- Weight 197

2014-15 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 42GP 5-11- 16 8PIM

Ryan Haggerty
Forward -- shoots R
Born Mar 4 1993 -- Stamford, CT
Height 6.00 -- Weight 200

2014-15 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 42GP 7-11- 18 15PIM

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hags 2.0 has a higher upside, but Hrivik is much more of a sure thing. I will take a guy with an 80% chance of being an NHLer over one with a 25% chance of playing on the top 6. Those percentages aren't a certainty of any kind, but Hrivik has an overwhelming chance to play in the NHL, while Hags 2.0 is definitely below 50-50.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Hags 2.0 has a higher upside, but Hrivik is much more of a sure thing. I will take a guy with an 80% chance of being an NHLer over one with a 25% chance of playing on the top 6. Those percentages aren't a certainty of any kind, but Hrivik has an overwhelming chance to play in the NHL, while Hags 2.0 is definitely below 50-50.

Last thread he was over 50%, now Hrivik has an 80% chance of making the nhl?? What are you seeing in this guy? If the league expands to 50 teams I would agree...

Besides for Duclair, Buch, Hayes, Fast, and possibly Skjei, none of our other prospects have an 80% chance to make the NHL, but somehow Hrivik who hasn't really shown much of anything in the AHL level, is almost a sure fire NHLer? AND a 1/4 chance to be a 2nd liner? Im so confused. That would make him a top 5 prospect for us.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Unless the Rangers make a trade and have a forward hole to plug or unless two Rangers forwards are out injured at the same time there is 0 chance that any of the forwards down in Hartford are going to play in the NHL this year. The best candidate right now to make it if an opening occurs (and I don't think it's close) is Oscar Lindberg. IMO--he may be our best prospect in Hartford.

Hrivik will have to be signed again this summer. His ELC will be done. If the Rangers commit to him again that would tell me that the Rangers might think he's close--or at least a viable future option. His stats have not progressed as a pro. They're actually a little worse now than they were a couple years ago. That doesn't necessarily mean his game hasn't got better but it does point to a limited upside.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Last thread he was over 50%, now Hrivik has an 80% chance of making the nhl?? What are you seeing in this guy? If the league expands to 50 teams I would agree...

Besides for Duclair, Buch, Hayes, Fast, and possibly Skjei, none of our other prospects have an 80% chance to make the NHL, but somehow Hrivik who hasn't really shown much of anything in the AHL level, is almost a sure fire NHLer? AND a 1/4 chance to be a 2nd liner? Im so confused. That would make him a top 5 prospect for us.

You misread my post.

1. I specifically said that those percentages aren't personal to players, just a general statement that if one player has a much better shot at the NHL than the other who has a higher upside, he's more valuable in my eyes.

2. The 25% chance was for Haggerty, not Hrivik.

To respond to you, Hrivik did improve since he joined the AHL. Not statistically, but his overall play is much better. I watch most Hartford games, and Hrivik looks as much like an NHLer as much a minor leaguer possibly can. Speed, size, smarts, puck handling, IQ are all looking up to par.

I know he can still fail to make a transition, but I would bet my own money that he makes it.

Meanwhile, Haggerty is awful away from the puck. I mean, he makes Kristo look good (the difference is that he's 3 years younger). He needs a ton of polishing before sniffing the NHL.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Marek Hrivik and Ryan Haggerty are too close to each other to make a call, so we are going to a tie-breaker.

Marek Hrivik
Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Aug 28 1991 -- Zilina, Slovakia
Height 6.01 -- Weight 197

2014-15 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 42GP 5-11- 16 8PIM

Ryan Haggerty
Forward -- shoots R
Born Mar 4 1993 -- Stamford, CT
Height 6.00 -- Weight 200

2014-15 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 42GP 7-11- 18 15PIM

^^^ These stats are terrible. Are we really voting these turds ahead of a guy who put up a 25 goal rookie season in the AHL last season? You say many don't believe Kristo will ever make the NHL, yet we believe these guys will? People may say Kristo is having a down year but he is still having a better season than these two.

Don't really care how you feel about his age either, it's his second year as a pro and he has done more than half the guys on this list, which is a popularity contest, not a real ranking of these prospects.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
^^^ These stats are terrible. Are we really voting these turds ahead of a guy who put up a 25 goal rookie season in the AHL last season? You say many don't believe Kristo will ever make the NHL, yet we believe these guys will? People may say Kristo is having a down year but he is still having a better season than these two.

Don't really care how you feel about his age either, it's his second year as a pro and he has done more than half the guys on this list, which is a popularity contest, not a real ranking of these prospects.

Did you not get the PM?
Concensus is Kristo Stinks!
:naughty:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Have you ever heard of Jean-Yves Roy? I bet almost nobody remembers his name. There's a reason for it - despite the fact that he was part of the Rangers organization for 3 years. He was great offensively, but not useful elsewhere, so all he got were some cups of tea for the Rangers plus two-thirds of a season in Boston. That's Kristo. It's not just all stats, he just doesn't do the rest of the game well enough and his offense isn't dominant at all (not even remotely close to J-Y Roy's).

Hrivik is just the opposite of Kristo: not much offense, but better in every other way: bigger, stronger, faster, better without the puck, better rushing the puck, better playing defense, better hitting. Yes, Kristo has a better shot, so his stats look better, but who cares? He doesn't have a monster shot that would single-handedly keep him in the NHL, so he'll be in the minors for his whole career except maybe a few cups of tea in the NHL.

P.S. Kristo has only 5 points more than Hrivik and 3 more than Haggerty. How's one a "turd" with "terrible stats" and the other is a good prospect by having 3 or 5 more points despite being years older?

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kristo plays a small game. Good shot. Not good defensively. It's pretty much all about offense with him and his offense has taken a step backwards this year too. He may have something of a pro career but I don't think it's going to be in the NHL. The guy we traded to get him--Christian Thomas is not going to be much either IMO. Kristo's contract will be up this summer as well. I think I'd walk away from him.

I think the Rangers have a very solid 10-12 prospects and maybe 3 or 4 others that have a chance of being NHL players--and that's including Hayes and Fast. We have some real quality but we're not really deep in prospects. Signing Hayes was just so ****ing huge for us. He needs to get a lot better at face-offs but centers with that kind of size and skill are very hard to find. The Rangers made the absolute right decision to develop as a center.

There are a couple guys I'm really not too sure about. Both have signed NHL contracts--Zamorsky and Calle Andersson. Andersson seems to have taken a step forward in the Swiss leagues this year after he was moved from Zug to Lugano. Not sure how to qualify that experience or league. Zamorsky looked good in training camp. His new Finnish team however doesn't seem to be getting a lot out of him. Actually Donnay would be a third guy like that. He's signed as well. Great size but very lanky.

Tommy Hughes is my sleeper to possibly become something but he'll need patience.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Prospects always thin out in the Winter polls. Some graduate (JT Miller), some disappoint (Kristo, St. Croix, Noreau, Iverson, Bodie, Zamorsky), some are traded away (Yogan).

However, what's left seems to be top heavy since those are overachievers that year (Shesterkin, Fast, Hayes, Duclair, Butcher).

The summer poll will reverse as some of the kids who were hot the first half a year go cold, and as we add a bunch of prospects through the draft and UDFAs.

This same pool of prospects, sans JT Miller and Yogan, was seen as very deep, but not top heavy enough this past summer.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Five hours before closing, only 2 votes separate Haggerty from Hrivik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad