NYR Prospect Poll: #12 TIE-BREAKER

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like Tambo's potential far more than I do Hrivik's. However, the way Tambo's year unfolded just makes we a little wary of getting too excited about him. Obviously we're not all aware of what he went through at UND, but I didn't really like the way that breakup occurred, and his relative struggles there are cause for concern. His play in the WHL was very good, though again, a huge amount of his production came on the PP. At age 19 a guy of his skill should be expected to put up big numbers in the CHL leagues. So all in all, I think his season was just okay--reason for concern, reason for optimism, and certainly nothing to help me form a definitive opinion on him.

Hrivik, on the other hand, I think played a lot better than his numbers suggested. I watched a good deal of Wolf Pack games, and I usually felt good about his performance at the end of each game. He's never a liability out there, makes some nice little plays that won't show up on the score sheet, and flashes good offensive ability. I don't often write off a whole season as a fluke, but with Hrivik's 2013 season, I'm almost inclined to do so.

I give a slight edge to Hrivik. I think he's significantly better than last season's numbers indicate, and I'm still leery of Tambellini. With all that said, another bad year statistically for Hrivik and I'll be ready to drop him entirely; a good, consistent year from Tambo with physical development and he'll shoot way up my list.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'll take the higher upside in Tambo. He has size and that should be coveted with our current players and prospects. Potential to be a 6'4 220-230 forward since he is filling out and has that kind of frame is much needed here. If he can develop as a center that way, even better. Not saying Hrivik is small, but more that Tambo is a big guy with a lot of potential. He is more of a project than Duke and Buch, but he has a lot of upside.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This is a make or break year for Hrivik. Big bodied and a good all around player. Don't know why Kenny G put him at Center last year, but Hrivik did not play with Lindberg or Miller. I was hoping he'd get some minutes with the two better centermen to see what sort of offense he'd bring.

The two years prior Hrivik showed that he had a good pair of hands in and around the net, a willingness to go there, in addition to playing a 3-Zone game.

He'll block shots, take a hit to make a play and do all the little things that some skilled player (looking at Kristo here) simply won't do.

Unfortunately for the Rangers if Hrivik doesn't sniff some NHL time, he'll bolt to Europe and have a very nice pro career there.

I'd look at Hrivik as a dark horse candidate to make the roster as a winger and have him above Kristo on the depth chart in terms of NHL contribution. Not saying he's got more upside, but a big body that can skate and be counted on defensively is more valuable for 3rd and 4th line minutes.

With all that said, if Hrivik doesn't crack the roster this year, he's Euroleague bound.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I'll take the higher upside in Tambo. He has size and that should be coveted with our current players and prospects. Potential to be a 6'4 220-230 forward since he is filling out and has that kind of frame is much needed here. If he can develop as a center that way, even better. Not saying Hrivik is small, but more that Tambo is a big guy with a lot of potential. He is more of a project than Duke and Buch, but he has a lot of upside.

Agreed.

I didn't like how Tambs year unfolded, but at #12 I think he's way to low on this list still. Size and scoring.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Will the loder of this poll automatically be 13? I feel other players would get some of Tambellini's votes if he was not even in the poll. Since other players had votes, a couple with 8, is this a clear cut lower is 13 or would it be better to open poll 13 up with the addition and if Hrivik opens a considerable lead, closing it for 14?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Will the loder of this poll automatically be 13? I feel other players would get some of Tambellini's votes if he was not even in the poll. Since other players had votes, a couple with 8, is this a clear cut lower is 13 or would it be better to open poll 13 up with the addition and if Hrivik opens a considerable lead, closing it for 14?

No, Hrivik (or another player) will need to win the next round to get placed. I will post the next round when I get home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad