Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #11

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This I agree with. Tambellini, Nieves, Iverso all could turn out to be good third liners. Halverson has the skill set to be a starter down the road. Graves took a huge step forward this year and could end up being a very good 3rd pairing guy. And we haven't even added Bodie yet!

Buch, Kristo and Haggarty could end up as scoring middle 6 wingers.

This is probably the deepest the Rangers prospect pool has been BUT (and this is a big but) there are no top line potential players or top pairing dmen in the system.

I would put this team in the 16-24 range in prospect pool rankings.

I think Buchnevich and Duclair absolutely have top line potential (though they're not yet close to reaching it), and Skjei definitely has the ability to excel at both ends as a real number two defenseman.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I think Buchnevich and Duclair absolutely have top line potential (though they're not yet close to reaching it), and Skjei definitely has the ability to excel at both ends as a real number two defenseman.

Was going to say almost the exact same thing. However, they do seem alot less certain than guys like McDonagh and Kreider.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
Halverson... although I can envision Graves as a regular NHL d-man with great size in 5 years time. Nieves, in particular, failed to show the necessary improvement to keep his value as a former 2nd rounder.

Add Iverson... a recent 3rd rounder has more value than any prospect remaining on the list.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

I may have worded that poorly. They have potential but there is a greater probability that they end up as 2nd line players or 2nd pairing Dmen.

There is no one in this system that stands out as yeah this guy has a really good chance to be a #1C or a first line winger.

Buch has the best chance at becoming one and I could be off in my assessment. Out of the group I've seen him play the least.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I may have worded that poorly. They have potential but there is a greater probability that they end up as 2nd line players or 2nd pairing Dmen.

There is no one in this system that stands out as yeah this guy has a really good chance to be a #1C or a first line winger.

Buch has the best chance at becoming one and I could be off in my assessment. Out of the group I've seen him play the least.

They're prospects. You don't get guaranteed top-line players unless you're picking in the top five. We have potential first line wingers in the system and we have a potential first pairing defenseman. The big hole is in the middle. We really don't have any high end center prospects unless one of Nieves or Tambellini takes a giant leap forward.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Was going to say almost the exact same thing. However, they do seem alot less certain than guys like McDonagh and Kreider.

IDK. Montreal gave up on McDonagh (stupidly) because his offense hadn't yet developed as they hoped. I remember when we acquired him, I think everyone recognized that we got a really nice prospect. He wasn't a sure-thing though. And then the half-season he played in Hartford, he was good but not great. To that point he looked like a nice shutdown-type second pair defenseman in the making. IMO, McDonagh was never a certainty to be more than a really good second pair guy until about the two years ago. At respective stages in their development, I think Skjei and McDonagh are relatively even.

The same for Kreider, really. He had a relatively underwhelming college career, and until this season there were very real questions about whether or not he'd put it together. For me, Kreider has been the exact opposite of "certain" at every point in his career. Hell, I'm still not certain he can take the next step to become a consistent force.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

McDonagh was never pegged as a top pairing D from what I remember.

Kreider definitely had bust potential, too.

No pick is safe unless top 5, really.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Halverson... although I can envision Graves as a regular NHL d-man with great size in 5 years time. Nieves, in particular, failed to show the necessary improvement to keep his value as a former 2nd rounder.

Add Iverson... a recent 3rd rounder has more value than any prospect remaining on the list.

Eh. Sophomore slump for Nieves? It's a fair prediction.

I don't remember who posted this but Sophomore slumps happen, you get figured out by opposing teams, and you have to change it up. And it's not like Nieves had a truly awful season.

If he underwhelms next year, then he's absolutely a disappointment.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Graves. Was a rock in CHL playoffs.
Add Bodie - fabulous ice awareness, instincts and leadership, very good passer, smart on the PP point, intense competitor

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
IDK. Montreal gave up on McDonagh (stupidly) because his offense hadn't yet developed as they hoped. I remember when we acquired him, I think everyone recognized that we got a really nice prospect. He wasn't a sure-thing though. And then the half-season he played in Hartford, he was good but not great. To that point he looked like a nice shutdown-type second pair defenseman in the making. IMO, McDonagh was never a certainty to be more than a really good second pair guy until about the two years ago. At respective stages in their development, I think Skjei and McDonagh are relatively even.

The same for Kreider, really. He had a relatively underwhelming college career, and until this season there were very real questions about whether or not he'd put it together. For me, Kreider has been the exact opposite of "certain" at every point in his career. Hell, I'm still not certain he can take the next step to become a consistent force.

While I agree with this fully, let's keep in mind that prospects are much more likely to underwhelm than overwhelm. Prospects go bust all the time, but it is rare for them to become more than expected, the way McDonagh became.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Eh. Sophomore slump for Nieves? It's a fair prediction.

I don't remember who posted this but Sophomore slumps happen, you get figured out by opposing teams, and you have to change it up. And it's not like Nieves had a truly awful season.

If he underwhelms next year, then he's absolutely a disappointment.

Nieves' year wasn't quite as bad as it seemed. His assist per game rate was where it was his first season, despite being bumped down the lineup due to lack of goal production. His shooting percentage fell to barely over 6%, which for a kid with his talent is just too low--it shows a fair bit of bad puck luck. He shot closer to 13% his freshman season, for example. I think he'll rebound as a junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad