nyr or nyi ?

Harlyy35

May 6, 2017
the islanders and rangers always had that new york rivalry but the rangers were always better as of late, with the additions of eberle,barzal,hosang, and some holes in the rangers center line, who do you have doing better this year?

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i think it's going to be close. i don't see the Rangers getting off to such a hot start, and i think the Isles will be much better under Weight.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As long as Lundqvist can still be a #1 goalie the Rags will have the edge.
Even though I feel like head to head the isles have played really well against him the last few years now.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think this is particularly close following the offseason.

Both teams were weak on D. The Rangers addressed their defense; the Islanders got more wingers.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I don't think this is particularly close following the offseason.

Both teams were weak on D. The Rangers addressed their defense; the Islanders got more wingers.

BS.... the Rangers D has been severely over rated for a few seasons now. They finally did shore it up back there, and they look real strong on D. The Islanders defense has been severely under rated, and while they did lose Hamonic, it's been their depth that makes them strong. Both teams need another center, Isles need a 2C, Rangers a 1C.

That said, I believe people are underestimating both teams this season. In the standings prediction thread, many people had the Rangers barely making it, or not at all.... while almost no one had the Islanders making the playoffs, with even some having them 7th in the Metro.

I think this is the strongest both teams have been, and wouldn't be surprised to see both finish with around 110 points.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Islanders have a better offense.

Rangers now have a better defense, and already had the better goaltending and coaching.

It's going to be close, but I think the Rangers will be better again. Although, I will say offense is more important than defense, and the Rangers goaltending won't be as good as last year and the Islanders goaltending should be better.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
BS.... the Rangers D has been severely over rated for a few seasons now. They finally did shore it up back there, and they look real strong on D. The Islanders defense has been severely under rated, and while they did lose Hamonic, it's been their depth that makes them strong. Both teams need another center, Isles need a 2C, Rangers a 1C.

That said, I believe people are underestimating both teams this season. In the standings prediction thread, many people had the Rangers barely making it, or not at all.... while almost no one had the Islanders making the playoffs, with even some having them 7th in the Metro.

I think this is the strongest both teams have been, and wouldn't be surprised to see both finish with around 110 points.

For all their apparently impressive depth on defense, only Arizona gave up more attempted shots last year. What have they done to address it?

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
For all their apparently impressive depth on defense, only Arizona gave up more attempted shots last year. What have they done to address it?

The isles D may not be great but the rangers center depth is laugh out loud funny. Think the better team this year comes down to lundqvists performance

The islanders offense could be very very good this year with a full season of ho sang eberle and pulock running the PP. Who knows though

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011

Shot attempts don't always tell the whole story... high danger shots are much more important than flipping a puck from center ice on goal.

With that being said, the Islanders were quite often outshot, especially early in the year when they were not a very good hockey team at all. I think the coaching changes will lead to improvements in many aspects of the Islanders play this season.

I also think the offense will be improved, which will in turn lead to more offensive zone time and, therefore, less shots against. Their PP almost HAS to be better since it was absolutely horrible last season

Finally, Greiss/Halak is infinitely better than Greiss/Halak + Berube

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers seem to always be "on the decline".

Get back to me when they get under 100 points.

Also, who said we were going into the season with out centers as is? It's July 4th.

Funny, the same fanbase that called Stepan a fourth liner now thinks we're ****ed without him.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
As long as Halak is in the Islanders organization, we won't do well against them with Lundqvist in net.

That's how the universe works.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cant say i blame the Rags for reloading a bit here ,the Met is nuts with the number 1 and 2 slots pretty much gone. Add in a team like CLB ,and now is as good a time as any not to try and overspend:nod:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
As long as Halak is in the Islanders organization, we won't do well against them with Lundqvist in net.

That's how the universe works.

The Rangers match up really badly or at least DID match up badly vs the Isles the last 3 years because the Isles generally perform best when they are allowed to get in the slot area or to the front of the net. The Rangers didn't have an extraordinarily physical or big D core which really allowed them to just constantly create traffic and get great chances. The blue print since 2014 to beat the Isles is generally keep them to the outside and they rarely will beat you consistently because they're loaded with forwards who don't have great shots and aren't overly creative with passes but are very good once they get inside of 10 feet from the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad