Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jimmy Vesey re-signs (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
College hold outs are the worst. Tim Erixon can suck it.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
He should be used as a 3rd liner. He is perfect there. Didn't like AV using him over Buchnevic in the top 6.

Vesey works hard but simply doesn't have top 6 talent.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Vesey should have been on the PP full time. Miller and Buchnevich should have never been on the PP. Miller is dumb and has no hockey IQ. Buchnevich doesn't win any puck battles.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
He’s ultimately what a 3rd round pick is likely to become. He was drafted as a 19 year old before he even got to Harvard. Did 4 years there and 2 in the nhl. He’s 25 now so he is physically mature. Goal totals are fine but his assists are pretty low. If he can up those he would be a mid 30 point guy.

Most of the third round picks don't regularly make the league.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

BerlinBlueShirt

Feb 25, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I dont understand the Vesey hate here. He is a solid player for the 3rd line, maybe even 2nd line. He is still young enough to get better so being a 20 gaol / 40 point player is not out of reach and those dont grow on trees. The contract is fine as well. Comparable or even a lot of worse players get a lot more $

Besides that he scored a hat-trick when I was at MSG for the first time with my 5years old daughter. So maybe he is the reason she will be a Rangers fan as well and that would be priceless for me ;)

Reactions: iSophagus

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
In hindsight all that hype about him was ridiculous.

Reactions: BHD

member 157595

I think I remember him being on the All-Machinehead 1st team, along with Dan Girardi and Cam Fowler. I believe Chris Kreider was cut in training camp.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Forgot he was in the league.

Glad rangers fans are high on the future development of this 25 year old. :laugh:

It's almost like 3rd and 4th liners aren't needed in the NHL these days.:sarcasm:

Rangers got him for nothing, and he's scored over 15 goals in both seasons we've had him. We signed him for a little over 2 million /2 years. Even if he doesn't improve and pops in 15-17 goals again for those years, it's not exactly a bad contract.

Sorry he had hype because he could sign with any team he wanted. We didn't think we were getting a 40 goal scorer and winning a #1 draft lottery here.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Wasn't the hype for this guy at one point extremely huge?

There was more hype than normal because he just won the Hobey Baker award. If you followed college hockey that year (I'm not saying you didn't. Just that most people don't), he shouldn't have won it.

There was hype he was coming to the Rangers with the friendship him and Kevin Hayes had.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think he's very good, can pot the occasional goal, but poor defensively and maybe the worst passer in the entire NHL, but he's still sort of young I guess?

Pretty much. I had high hopes for him when they signed him, but after watching him the past couple of seasons the shine has certainly tarnished. That said, he's still young ish, has good size, and belongs in the NHL - so even if it's just a depth role it's not like NYR is wasting time or money on him.

Vesey is a 3rd liner, not a terrible deal, but he isn't a great player.

Guess it's a good thing he's getting paid like a low end 3rd liner then isn't it?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Pretty much. I had high hopes for him when they signed him, but after watching him the past couple of seasons the shine has certainly tarnished. That said, he's still young ish, has good size, and belongs in the NHL - so even if it's just a depth role it's not like NYR is wasting time or money on him.

Guess it's a good thing he's getting paid like a low end 3rd liner then isn't it?

I would have preferred 1.75 or so, but I guess it could have been much worse. And this signing makes me believe they are going to extend Hayes soon as well.

Reactions: Riptide

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Wasn't the hype for this guy at one point extremely huge?

the hype, every August,
about the college guys who wait til then to be UFAs,
is not about any particular player's actual projected potential,
it just gets crazy online for any/every free asset
Vesey is pretty much as advertised, a decent 2-way player with some good instincts but no particular stand-out skill

but also Vesey has been playing for a coach (Vigneault) whose had 2 underperforming frustrating years, with no effective responses to ineffective play, which led to little patience for trusting young players too much

Reactions: BHD

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
There was more hype than normal because he just won the Hobey Baker award. If you followed college hockey that year (I'm not saying you didn't. Just that most people don't), he shouldn't have won it.

There was hype he was coming to the Rangers with the friendship him and Kevin Hayes had.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Yeah I do t watch college hockey truth be told.

If he came to Detroit instead GMKH probably would have given him 4x4.5

Seems like this contract is sensible for what he is, from NYs perspective. I'll admit all I watch of NY is when they play Detroit so I could be ignorant to the facts lol.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yep. IIRC I said he was a 3rd / 4th liner. For some reason he was considered some elite prospect who can jump in and score 30+30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad