Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jimmy Vesey re-signs (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I don't think he's very good, can pot the occasional goal, but poor defensively and maybe the worst passer in the entire NHL, but he's still sort of young I guess?
He's at minimum a good bottom six player, but I think there is a bit more offensive potential that he can reach into.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think he's very good, can pot the occasional goal, but poor defensively and maybe the worst passer in the entire NHL, but he's still sort of young I guess?
He’s ultimately what a 3rd round pick is likely to become. He was drafted as a 19 year old before he even got to Harvard. Did 4 years there and 2 in the nhl. He’s 25 now so he is physically mature. Goal totals are fine but his assists are pretty low. If he can up those he would be a mid 30 point guy.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This is a fair deal. Not paying for past results or potential.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
And for the record, I didn't like the way Vigneault would deploy him. Keep him on the 4th line and then all of a sudden he'd be playing 2nd line for a game or two and then back on the 4th.

Not saying it was all AV's fault as I don't think Vesey helped his cause at times, but that didn't exactly help him either.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
2.275m for 17 goals? That is good value.

1) I question how repeatable that might be moving forward, considering his Sh% is several ticks above average @ 13%

2) I question how useful he is as an NHL player when you factor in everything but the 15-20 goals he might get you.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
1) I question how repeatable that might be moving forward, considering his Sh% is several ticks above average @ 13%

2) I question how useful he is as an NHL player when you factor in everything but the 15-20 goals he might get you.
1. His Sh% was 12.5% the season before so obviously it is repeatable.
2. For a 3rd line energy player, 15-20 goals is great.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Vesey isn’t 19-20 y/o, but I think people underrate that older rookies/soapmore players need time to adjust to the NHL too. Of course a 19 y/o have more growth potential than a 24 y/o. But there is a — very big — difference between college and the NHL.

Vesey was a dominant player in college, could slow the pace down and master shifts. His biggest challenge is to adopt to the faster pace in the NHL and execute perfectly in that environment. He has good thoughts and is obviously a smart player, but the game has been fast for him.

I think he has potential to improve a lot. Would have preferred a longer deal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Vesey isn’t 19-20 y/o, but I think people underrate that older rookies/soapmore players need time to adjust to the NHL too. Of course a 19 y/o have more growth potential than a 24 y/o. But there is a — very big — difference between college and the NHL.

Vesey was a dominant player in college, could slow the pace down and master shifts. His biggest challenge is to adopt to the faster pace in the NHL and execute perfectly in that environment. He has good thoughts and is obviously a smart player, but the game has been fast for him.

I think he has potential to improve a lot. Would have preferred a longer deal.
Also consider he broke out offensively in the NCAA as a junior. So he was never dominating his peers until he was one of the older guys in the NCAA.

Is there more to give from him? A little bit more, but this term gives both sides enough time to determine whether he’s part of the turnaround in NY or whether he’ll be gone by the tdl of 2020.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Also consider he broke out offensively in the NCAA as a junior. So he was never dominating his peers until he was one of the older guys in the NCAA.

Is there more to give from him? A little bit more, but this term gives both sides enough time to determine whether he’s part of the turnaround in NY or whether he’ll be gone by the tdl of 2020.

Yeah, good point.

And I mean like, he can do a lot of things at the NHL level that stands out. He is also a perfectly OK craftsman in all areas, a coach won’t get any grey hairs from him.

What he hasn’t been able to do in a top offensive invironment is go into the high danger areas and execute plays that open things up. He is good at going to the net, but often that option isn’t available. And today so much of the game is about driving to the net, creating havoc, finding a trailer and just keep going until you get there.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Do you remember those days when everybody was acting like Nashville lost a superstar by not managing to sign him? These college FAs get so overhyped.

Fair deal for a 3rd liner RFA. I don't really see him becoming more than that, he should just work at being good at his role.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad