Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Igor Shesterkin signs extension with Rangers (4 years, $5.666M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I mean agent secured him a life after hockey if he flopped which he isn't.

Sometimes hockey players want to secure the bag because injuries happen.

After this contract if he continues to impress he can ask for the bag.

He's already missed games due to two groin injuries. Not something you want your #1 Tendy to have chronically.

The deal was fair for both sides given the uncertainties either way.

Reactions: KotkaZuki

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's already missed games due to two groin injuries. Not something you want your #1 Tendy to have chronically.

The deal was fair for both sides given the uncertainties either way.
Him and Blackwood scare me every time they go into a split. I really fear the longevity of their careers.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Honestly, after seeing how he’s playing right now, I wish Drury locked him up longer.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
When this deal was given I thought it was a bit high compared to what I had thought Juuse Saros had set the market as, but looks a bargain right now.

Igor (along with Markstrom) should be Vezina favorite

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
When this deal was given I thought it was a bit high compared to what I had thought Juuse Saros had set the market as, but looks a bargain right now.

Igor (along with Markstrom) should be Vezina favorite

Yea, Igor’s deal was based more on projection than production. I would’ve liked the longer deal at the time (obviously, a no brainer now) but there were were some injury issues. I’m also guessing Igor wanted some security with one more shot to cash in on a big deal. Some people forget that it’s not just Drury in the negotiation but Igor and his agent as well.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The term is bad no? Does this buy any UFA years?
Would have preferred 2yrs x 5 and then give him 6-7yrs x 7.5-8 mil if he keeps up his current level.

Either way, 4yrs is medium term and NYR are a force right now.

EDIT- didn't realize he was 25, thought he was 23 for some reason. He stayed in KHL for a while

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The term is bad no? Does this buy any UFA years?
Would have preferred 2yrs x 5 and then give him 6-7yrs x 7.5-8 mil if he keeps up his current level.

Either way, 4yrs is medium term and NYR are a force right now.

EDIT- didn't realize he was 25, thought he was 23 for some reason. He stayed in KHL for a while
The issue with this is that if you think he's your guy long term you sign him longer now so that in the NYR situation his cap hit is lower in 2 or 3 years when nyr is trying to juggle next contracts for their other kids like kakko laf Miller ect

Maybe for other teams your structure makes more sense if they need cap space now, but nyr needs it moreso a few years down the road

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The issue with this is that if you think he's your guy long term you sign him longer now so that in the NYR situation his cap hit is lower in 2 or 3 years when nyr is trying to juggle next contracts for there other kids like kakko laf Miller ec

Maybe for other teams your structure makes more sense if they need cap space now, but nyr needs 8t moreso a few years down the road

Rangers just buy players at will anyways. What's the difference? They are playing with Monopoly money.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Was I just transported to 1999 with the newly invented time machine and now there's no salary cap?

I mean you got a Norris winner for basically nothing.

licensed-image

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Rangers just buy players at will anyways. What's the difference? They are playing with Monopoly money.
Not only that, it’s MSG, the history, etc it’s just an attractive destination for young guys in their 20s/30s with millions of dollars.
It’s why guys like panarin take less to come or why guys like kreider take less to stay.
Fox growing up a Ranger fan was very lucky. Thank god he wasn’t born in south or Midwest.
New York is going to have that allure over a lot of city’s in that regard. especially with hockey guys. You’re rich and famous but you have enough anonymity to live a normal life.
They aren’t front page guys like nba/NFL/MLB etc like they are in Canada, and as far as finances go, there’s a lot of people in that city that make far more money then them.
NY is a place where you can do anything you want and any time day or night, as long as you have enough cash in your pocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightrain

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
A player’s best ability is his availability. If he keeps missing 10 games each year due to injury, it’s frustrating. He’s worth way more than his contract right now, but only if he’s healthy.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

He would only play in New York. That's privilege no matter how you slice it. Are you trying to tell me that the Rangers have it bad?

You went from saying the Rangers just buy players to then bringing up Fox, who we traded 2 2nd round picks for. In a Igor Shesterkin thread who we drafted.

Sounds like you just want to bitch about the Rangers.

200w.gif

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
You went from saying the Rangers just buy players to then bringing up Fox, who we traded 2 2nd round picks for. In a Igor Shesterkin thread who we drafted.

Sounds like you just want to bitch about the Rangers.

200w.gif

It's not bitching when it's factual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad