Confirmed with Link: #NYR have acquired the 41st pick and Etem from ANA for Hagelin

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Brassard wasn't a reclamation project. He was an established NHL player with multiple seasons under his belt.

He was considered a disappointing underachiever by a team that was mediocre at best. This was his first good regular season. Lots of skill but never really put it together. Not a reclamation on the level of Etem at all, but I remember a lot of people on different boards that thought Brassard was a brainless 3rd C with no defense. Always amazing what the right environment will do for a player.

That said, Etem has a lot to prove, but it is possible that he starts to bloom into a better player. Also possible that he is a career AHL player. I think the Rangers have at least a 4th liner that can be a stellar PKer.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
You guys are trying really hard to put lipstick on a pig.

Etem is an infuriating player. There is no upside. He is what he is - a fast guy who makes a ton of mistakes and can't finish.

He's a thrown in. The real move was moving up close to 20 spots to grab a coveted goal scoring prospect and save money.

They will replace Hagelin in free agency.

Just accept it: When your good, your players become expensive. All of them. What Gropp does or doesn't become will judge this trade.

Etem stinks. He's not going to improve in any portion of the game except maybe penalty killing.

if this is your criteria, then hagelin also stinks as he's a mirror image of stem in many ways. moving carl and not overpaying him was as much a win as getting another young asset in return along with the pick.

saying gropp is the "real move" is highly questionable. etem is an nhl player with atleast as good skills as carl hagelin. gropp is a maybe. considering we couldn't pay hags 3.5 mil, i think we did quit well actually.

and we don't need to replace hags in free agency. we have jesper fast signed and etem can play the same game.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
if this is your criteria, then hagelin also stinks as he's a mirror image of stem in many ways. moving carl and not overpaying him was as much a win as getting another young asset in return along with the pick.

saying gropp is the "real move" is highly questionable. etem is an nhl player with atleast as good skills as carl hagelin. gropp is a maybe. considering we couldn't pay hags 3.5 mil, i think we did quit well actually.

and we don't need to replace hags in free agency. we have jesper fast signed and etem can play the same game.

Etem is not as good as Hagelin. That is blind homer rhetoric.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Not at this moment, but he definitely has higher upside than Hags.

2 weeks ago he was 22 years old still....

The problem is that his issue is finishing and making smart plays. Not work ethic. Not hustle. The Rangers have plenty of those types.

I remember Chris Higgins (for example) had a ton of chances when he was here and just couldnt bury one. And he was already an established 20-goal scorer and former top pick. He hasn't hit 20 since.

People forget that Hagelin was an excellent top-line scorer in college. It just didn't translate when he got to the NHL.

I like Etem as a roster addition but in no way do I have any expectations other than that of a normal 4th line player.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The problem is that his issue is finishing and making smart plays. Not work ethic. Not hustle. The Rangers have plenty of those types.

I remember Chris Higgins (for example) had a ton of chances when he was here and just couldnt bury one. And he was already an established 20-goal scorer and former top pick. He hasn't hit 20 since.

People forget that Hagelin was an excellent top-line scorer in college. It just didn't translate when he got to the NHL.

I like Etem as a roster addition but in no way do I have any expectations other than that of a normal 4th line player.

Etem was a first liner in the WHL and with the USNTDP. Unlike Hags, he was also projected and taken in the first round of his draft.

Higgins is a second liner in Vancouver right now.

I think Etem is going to start on the third, and he may show on the second at some point.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
I wish I knew how to upload links. Anyway, I think a lot of people's hate/frustration for Hags, blinds them to the fact that he was second on the team in even strength goals the last two seasons behind only, Rick Nash, and beyond that, he was 4th on the team in goals overall. Hags is definitely gonna be missed and we are worse as I type this. Oh, and F*^% the cap!

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I wish I knew how to upload links. Anyway, I think a lot of people's hate/frustration for Hags, blinds them to the fact that he was second on the team in even strength goals the last two seasons behind only, Rick Nash, and beyond that, he was 4th on the team in goals overall. Hags is definitely gonna be missed and we are worse as I type this. Oh, and F*^% the cap!

I think this is more of an explanation as to the frustration of many around here... Aside from Hagelin being on the 3rd line, how are the other top 2 line wingers doing apart from Nash?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

So young players an only improve hustle and work ethic?

Why can't he improve his smarts a little more with more experience, better coachin, a new environment, etc? NYR specifically have seen a lot of guys go from nothing to something here, may of whom were in more unlikely positions to do so than a barely 23 year old first round pick.

I think he'll be a good 3rd liner here at the very least.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Yeah, Chris Higgins is not a bad player.

The point is that he never developed into the kind of player people thought he'd be after being a top pick. He looked good in Montreal and is a role player since.

I'm under the impression a lot of fans don't stay up late enough to watch West Coast games. Etem was brutal all season.

All season.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The point is that he never developed into the kind of player people thought he'd be after being a top pick. He looked good in Montreal and is a role player since.

I'm under the impression a lot of fans don't stay up late enough to watch West Coast games. Etem was brutal all season.

All season.

Your right, I didnt. But according to Duck fans:

-He played the least amount when he was in the lineup
-He played with players as good as Tanner Glass, like Thompson for the majority.
-They played him on the wrong side the majority of the season (and they said he played MUCH better when he was on his natural right side, which he rarely played on).
-He was being bumped up and down the AHL/NHL and never was given a real shot...basically like Miller the last 2 years, this year he was given a real shot and started to put it together.

I just dont see why you are writing him off so fast, at least let him play a game in a Ranger uniform before calling him a bust.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Your right, I didnt. But according to Duck fans:

-He played the least amount when he was in the lineup
-He played with players as good as Tanner Glass, like Thompson for the majority.
-They played him on the wrong side the majority of the season (and they said he played MUCH better when he was on his natural right side, which he rarely played on).
-He was being bumped up and down the AHL/NHL and never was given a real shot...basically like Miller the last 2 years, this year he was given a real shot and started to put it together.

I just dont see why you are writing him off so fast, at least let him play a game in a Ranger uniform before calling him a bust.

I agree--not thrilled with the trade (liked Hagelin, thought he would be worth more), but that's water under the bridge. Hopefully coming to a new team will energize Etem and he'll do well here.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Etems NHL stats seem very similar to JT and his AHL stats are better than JT. Why don't we give him a chance and see if he progresses?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
AHL | JT Miller | Emerson Etem
Age 19 | 0.54 PPG | 0.35 PPG
Age 20 | 1.02 PPG | 1.08 PPG
Age 21 | 0.83 PPG | 0.95 PPG

NHL | JT Miller | Emerson Etem
Age 19 | 0.15 PPG | 0.26 PPG
Age 20 | 0.20 PPG | 0.38 PPG
Age 21 | 0.39 PPG | 0.22 PPG

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The consensus from Ducks fans is Etem is big, strong, fast, talented but lacks hockey sense and was yanked around and misused and never really got a fair shake

That description could apply to, aside from JT, also Chris Kreider under Torts.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
The consensus from Ducks fans is Etem is big, strong, fast, talented but lacks hockey sense and was yanked around and misused and never really got a fair shake

That description could apply to, aside from JT, also Chris Kreider under Torts.

Sounds so much like how Kreider was described a couple of seasons ago, like you said. Kid has too much talent not to give him a fair shot. If he is a bust, then he is. However, there is too much upside to just throw him away or write him off.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Sad that Hags had to leave. Thanks for the fight and the passion!

Won't miss your boneheaded plays though buddy!

In this case I'd still say, ONCE A RANGER ALWAYS A RANGER!!!!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
AHL | JT Miller | Emerson Etem
Age 19 | 0.54 PPG | 0.35 PPG
Age 20 | 1.02 PPG | 1.08 PPG
Age 21 | 0.83 PPG | 0.95 PPG

NHL | JT Miller | Emerson Etem
Age 19 | 0.15 PPG | 0.26 PPG
Age 20 | 0.20 PPG | 0.38 PPG
Age 21 | 0.39 PPG | 0.22 PPG

Bingo.

It's not to say that Etem is incapable of being a complete washout, but it certainly shouldn't be a forgone conclusion.

This kid has a lot of natural talent and has performed well at the AHL level. He doesn't have to turn into a star to be an effective NHL player.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Sad that Hags had to leave. Thanks for the fight and the passion!

Won't miss your boneheaded plays though buddy!

In this case I'd still say, ONCE A RANGER ALWAYS A RANGER!!!!

If you think Hagelin is stupid...........you're in for a real treat with Etem.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Hope he works out for you guys, hope Hagelin works out for us too...

I see a lot of comments on how he was not used correctly because he played on 3rd and 4th line....you know there is a reason for that right? He was tried on 2nd line as well as first at times. Didn't work. It wasn't that he wasn't given a chance it was that he didn't take the opportunity. I think he is one of those players that dominates in juniors/minors because of his speed and strength but in the big leagues he has tunnel vision, turns the puck over all the time. He skates full speed and shoots the puck at the goalies logo from the blue line over and over. I wish he would at least shoot low for a rebound. He has all the tools to succeed though.... He reminds me of a forward version of Luca Sbisa.

Anyways cheers.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Hope he works out for you guys, hope Hagelin works out for us too...

I see a lot of comments on how he was not used correctly because he played on 3rd and 4th line....you know there is a reason for that right? He was tried on 2nd line as well as first at times. Didn't work. It wasn't that he wasn't given a chance it was that he didn't take the opportunity. I think he is one of those players that dominates in juniors/minors because of his speed and strength but in the big leagues he has tunnel vision, turns the puck over all the time. He skates full speed and shoots the puck at the goalies logo from the blue line over and over. I wish he would at least shoot low for a rebound. He has all the tools to succeed though.... He reminds me of a forward version of Luca Sbisa.

Anyways cheers.

Sounds like brian boyle minus the defense. mother of god.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So glad that Jessiman and McIlrath still haven't taught this franchise a lesson of not acquiring players based on measurements. Al Davis would make a great GM of the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad