Confirmed Trade: [NYR/FLA] Dylan McIlrath for Steven Kampfer and conditional 7th

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
@machinehead cam Fowler has a 5.0 cfRel now that he's not paired with Bieksa, how do you feel about this (this post will probably be ignored)

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
And they will too

I'm beginning to think there's hard copies of my posts in a safe somewhere in Orange County :laugh:

Outrageous comments are easy to remember. In a forest of posts, the ridiculous statement is the one lit up like a Christmas tree.

What am I wrong about?

Having McIlrath on your team comes with absolutely no risk. If he sucks, he gets waived.

Having Fowler on your team is commitment. It's dollars. It's minutes. It's Girardi and Staal all over again.

Ducks fans from the beginning have been making this all about McIlrath. My distaste for Fowler never had anything to do with McIlrath. It's in the numbers.

And yet no GM was willing to take that risk. McIlrath passed through waivers. No one bit. Maybe it's because 29 other teams have D prospects better, or with more potential.

Fowler doesn't play with a McDonagh, but you always gloss over that part. You love to bring up Girardi when people discuss Fowler's role, but when people press you to dig a little deeper you're conveniently quiet, until you can bring up Girardi again. Rinse and repeat. You're a broken record, and the song sucks. Even now, you can't seem to admit that Fowler is the superior player. A top pairing defenseman on a good team, and because your numbers determine your opinion, you've decided that he is worthless. Garbage, to use your exact words.

@machinehead cam Fowler has a 5.0 cfRel now that he's not paired with Bieksa, how do you feel about this (this post will probably be ignored)

I'm going to take a swing at this:

Sample size.

Manson. Vatanen.

It's not him.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Literally every single NHL GM determined that McIlrath wasn't worth the roster spot while at the very least, there's one NHL GM who thinks Fowler is worth a roster spot.

So either everyone is wrong, including the Rangers GM, or one poster here simply knows better than them all because corsi (and yet even though this is a statistical argument, we should conveniently disregard that this was an extremely small sample size).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Literally every single NHL GM determined that McIlrath wasn't worth the roster spot while at the very least, there's one NHL GM who thinks Fowler is worth a roster spot.

So either everyone is wrong, including the Rangers GM, or one poster here simply knows better than them all because corsi.

At least one GM thinks Dan Girardi is a top pairing defenseman, so who cares?

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
At least one GM thinks Dan Girardi is a top pairing defenseman, so who cares?

Just as relevant as saying the sky is blue.

You make lots of piss poor arguments. Answer as to why you think you are smarter than 30 NHL GMs, not to mention a GM doesn't control who gets which role. I figured you would know that but there's no stat for that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just as relevant as saying the sky is blue.

You make lots of piss poor arguments. Answer as to why you think you are smarter than 30 NHL GMs, not to mention a GM doesn't control who gets which role. I figured you would know that but there's no stat for that.

I never said I was smarter than all of them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
wait you mean Fowler can put up good numbers when his partner isn't trash? I guess you are going to credit Manson for Lindholm's numbers to then right?

No because Lindholm has put up numbers away from Manson.

Fowler hasn't put up good numbers with anyone outside of a dozen games with Manson.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Fowler has consistently lead one of the better teams in the NHL in TOI over his time in the league while putting up anywhere from 1-t3rd in (team) points from D. Please explain your stance...or tell us who you would have picked instead of McIlrath that year?

It's amazing that you are so rigid about this, what pains you so much to simply admit that you are wrong?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Huh, guess McIlrath actually isn't very good after all. Who woulda thought?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
This is nothing more than a swap of two AHL defenseman. If either one was picked off waivers they would have had to been put on an NHL roster for 30 days but since they both have already gone through waivers they can both report to the AHL clubs.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What am I wrong about?

Having McIlrath on your team comes with absolutely no risk. If he sucks, he gets waived.

Having Fowler on your team is commitment. It's dollars. It's minutes. It's Girardi and Staal all over again.

Ducks fans from the beginning have been making this all about McIlrath. My distaste for Fowler never had anything to do with McIlrath. It's in the numbers.

Yeah man.

I'm sure this if this sucky Fowler kid got waived no one would claim him. Why waste the cap dollars and TOI minutes on such a black hole of suck?

I'm just curious...I gotta know. Do you still think McIlrath is better than Fowler?

Also I'm curious to know your thoughts on this post. You seem to have missed it.

Fowler doesn't play with a McDonagh, but you always gloss over that part. You love to bring up Girardi when people discuss Fowler's role, but when people press you to dig a little deeper you're conveniently quiet, until you can bring up Girardi again. Rinse and repeat. You're a broken record, and the song sucks. Even now, you can't seem to admit that Fowler is the superior player. A top pairing defenseman on a good team, and because your numbers determine your opinion, you've decided that he is worthless. Garbage, to use your exact words.

Huh, guess McIlrath actually isn't very good after all. Who woulda thought?

Absolutely everyone outside of New York.

Last edited:

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Sorry for being behind the times, but weren't NYR fans around here pretty high on McIlrath last season? What happened for his stock to drop so much so quickly?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Sorry for being behind the times, but weren't NYR fans around here pretty high on McIlrath last season? What happened for his stock to drop so much so quickly?

He had a stretch of like 8-12 good games or so where his fancy stats looked really good and a chunk of NYR fans proclaimed he was gonna prove all the doubters wrong and then...well...here we are.

Apparently it's AV's fault though.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Actually, based on that link, he said his ceiling would be a #2. Do people really not understand the concept of a "floor" and a "ceiling"?

Oh it wasn't his only post saying it. And even if it was, I think he's the only one on the planet who thought Mcilrath still had a chance as a top 2 D at the age of 24 with 30 games of NHL experience.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
You're kind of (conveniently) missing the main point with McIlrath.

It was never simply about being a 10th overall pick. It was who was still available when New York decided to pick him 10th overall. At the time, it was surprising and questionable. Now? It's idiotic. Showing us a list of other 10th overall picks is just an attempt to justify it. The reason it was such a questionable pick was because there were a number of much better prospects still available, and a number of those better prospects have been much, much better players at the NHL level.

Edit: As an example, Jack Campbell was drafted high too. He has also failed to be worth where he was picked. The difference? People understood why he was picked where he was, and why he was chosen ahead of names like Tarasenko and Fowler. It was a risk because he was a goaltender, but he was viewed as a potential stud goaltender. McIlrath was always a questionable pick.

That'a a name I haven't heard in a long time. A very long time.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Fowler has consistently lead one of the better teams in the NHL in TOI over his time in the league while putting up anywhere from 1-t3rd in (team) points from D. Please explain your stance...or tell us who you would have picked instead of McIlrath that year?

It's amazing that you are so rigid about this, what pains you so much to simply admit that you are wrong?

Don't bother. He's clearly not going to admit anything, or he'll simply sidestep the question.

He got overrated from a short stint of games. That said, I am surprised he didn't have more value than he did. If the Ducks didn't have as many defenseman as we had, I would have liked to see us claim him. If anything it would have been extremely ironic given some of the conversations taken place with some Ranger fans.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
He got overrated from a short stint of games. That said, I am surprised he didn't have more value than he did. If the Ducks didn't have as many defenseman as we had, I would have liked to see us claim him. If anything it would have been extremely ironic given some of the conversations taken place with some Ranger fans.

If you actually watched him last season, him and Yandle were the team's best pairing when they played together. So no, he wasn't overrated. He played well and a lot of the fans thought he deserved a chance to play. He was better than Girardi and Staal last season. Anyone who watched the Rangers on a nightly basis could tell you this.

I honestly don't care about Fowler and the arguments between you guys and Machinehead, it holds no relevance to me. However, a lot of you guys simply have not watched the guy, so why chime in on the guy and sit here and hate on someone who has done nothing to you?

It's just as childish as the "asinine" statements that Machinehead has supposedly made.

The fact that someone who has played a grand total of 38 games in the NHL can have this much of an effect on people's lives is just... sad.

Let's go Rangers and best of luck to Dylan in Florida. Hopefully, he gets his shot.

Oh and technically isn't it only 28 general managers, since one of the other 29 traded for him?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If you actually watched him last season, him and Yandle were the team's best pairing when they played together. So no, he wasn't overrated. He played well and a lot of the fans thought he deserved a chance to play. He was better than Girardi and Staal last season. Anyone who watched the Rangers on a nightly basis could tell you this.

I honestly don't care about Fowler and the arguments between you guys and Machinehead, it holds no relevance to me. However, a lot of you guys simply have not watched the guy, so why chime in on the guy and sit here and hate on someone who has done nothing to you?

It's just as childish as the "asinine" statements that Machinehead has supposedly made.

The fact that someone who has played a grand total of 38 games in the NHL can have this much of an effect on people's lives is just... sad.

Let's go Rangers and best of luck to Dylan in Florida. Hopefully, he gets his shot.

Oh and technically isn't it only 28 general managers, since one of the other 29 traded for him?

Because you don't have to watch a player play often to know a guy who can't crack the NHL at 24 is not a better player than the guy who is a top pairing D and was commanding a 1st Rd pick + when he was on the trade block... something a certain poster refuses to admit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad