Waived: [NYR] F Nick Bonino waived by the Rangers (cleared)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This goal, too. The HBK line was a one spring wonder.

That said, he's washed. He was invisible after the Pens brought him back last season.

This. I felt pretty bad for him because I actually really do like the guy. The money was right for the NYR to take the chance but, yeah, he'll go unclaimed. He needs to hang it up after this year.

Reactions: bigd

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Is this guy done? Or just a bad fit?
A little of both.
He's slow and offer zero offense. He's a guy hammered in his own zone while blocking a lot of shots.
The Rangers don't have a roster full of speeders, and at times they can player slower then the speed they lack. Bonino doesn't address their lack of footspeed, lack of fast play, or lack of 5 on 5 productions. When paired with Goodrow, it's a bigger mess. He doesn't provide forechecking. He doesn't provide much gritty puck separation.

I have this wierd feeling Ducks will claim him... Whats his contract like?
League min'ish . UFA end of season.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Bonino can't skate. Never could. He relied on his hockey smarts to be in the right spot as play developed. I can see how this would be a problem in Laviolette's system.

Reactions: bigd and biturbo19

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Team USA Captain/1st Line Center last world championship. No wonder they lost to Latvia

Hey, two years ago C1 on the first day of the WC's was... Sam Lafferty.

Injuriers have forced Bonino to play third line minutes. Guessing this means they have a timeline for Chytl.

Is Chytl back from Czechia? That would be good news for the Rangers if he's close to returning.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seems like he can still be a depth center that was apart of a good PK in New York. Did he maybe request more time or a trade?

As it seems this is the type of guy if on a shit team a contender would be giving a future pick for some depth at center for the playoffs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I kinda hope someone claims him, so we can continue the experiment. Wherein, we find out once and for all, if it is possible to skate so slowly, that time reverses itself.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
had a few good years but has been on the decline for awhile
He'd be great on a team with some young players that isn't really looking to win yet. By all reports, he's been a great teammate, he helped a bunch of guys improve their faceoff technique, and he has a ton of experience in the league. He just doesn't really fit on a team that wants to win a lot of games anymore. It'll be up to Bonino to figure out if he wants to extend his career by being a "player-coach" for a bit. I can see him doing it if he's the kind of guy who wants to get to 1,000 games played. Either way, good guy, and I hope he lands somewhere that's a better fit.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
He'd be great on a team with some young players that isn't really looking to win yet. By all reports, he's been a great teammate, he helped a bunch of guys improve their faceoff technique, and he has a ton of experience in the league. He just doesn't really fit on a team that wants to win a lot of games anymore. It'll be up to Bonino to figure out if he wants to extend his career by being a "player-coach" for a bit. I can see him doing it if he's the kind of guy who wants to get to 1,000 games played. Either way, good guy, and I hope he lands somewhere that's a better fit.

Sounds like you're talking about the ducks. Wouldn't mind at all seeing Bones come back and finish his career where it all began. Always liked him as a player.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Wouldnt be worse than the trash that has been dressing currently
If you’ve ever seen the movie X-Men: Days of Future Past, there’s a scene in which Quicksilver runs around a bunch of armed security so fast that it looks like time has slowed down and Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce is playing.

Those security guards are Nick Bonino and Quicksilver is the game of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad