Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] F Blake Wheeler signs with the Rangers (1 year, $800k)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The Rangers sign an aging former star player? I’m shocked!
In fairness, this is a bit different than signing a play for big bucks, thinking that aging player is going to help carry your team. They're hurting on the cap this offseason, so to get a RW, non-call up type player for 800k is pretty good for them, despite going after older players.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
In fairness, this is a bit different than signing a play for big bucks, thinking that aging player is going to help carry your team. They're hurting on the cap this offseason, so to get a RW, non-call up type player for 800k is pretty good for them, despite going after older players.

Yeah absolutely. Pretty much a risk free contract. Just having some fun.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
@MapleLeafs9 “Agree with Jamal Mayers on SN here, signing a contract like that is signs of something else and means there weren't many suitors for him. Losing the captaincy, rumors of locker room problems in Winnipeg, kind of insane to sign a deal like that for so cheap.”

Nah.

I’ll state the obvious and say that many players that have already made big $ are willing to take a major discount to play in NYC or Toronto.

With that advantage, it’s still unfathomable that together those 2 franchises have one Cup in the last 116 years combined.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Agree with Jamal Mayers on SN here, signing a contract like that is signs of something else and means there weren't many suitors for him. Losing the captaincy, rumors of locker room problems in Winnipeg, kind of insane to sign a deal like that for so cheap
He’s made around 80mil in his career, he’s chasing a cup not a bag of cash.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Gotta be easy to be a GM as the NYR

Even with that, they find a way to crap the bed.
1552759512-genie.png

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Not really. He had the 3rd best 5on5 production of all jets last season.

That "Wheeler only gets pp and en points" is a sad narrative promoted by Laine fans and Wheeler haters that is not at all rooted in reality.
Yeah, it all goes back to Laine ... such a shame, Blake is the real deal for 12 years and all they care about is Laine. That's a great deal for NYR and I hope it rejuvenates him a bit.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Factually not true. 3rd best on jets at 5v5 production
Factually true, his off puck play and details were non existent in wpg. sure he produced on that team playing with the players he played with, he's got talent like i said, but he's not a guy you win with in playoffs at this stage in his career, unless there's a serious re-make and give a **** change with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad