Post-Game Talk: NYR @ CGY: Bye Bye Stu

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Nah, I wish this was the case but from my point of view these games are just a reminder of what I to be perfectly honest expects from us, not early this year, but for quite some time.

When Torts coached this team, I often made it known that I felt that we were heading in a direction which would hurt us for years to come when he left because we would have a lot of catching up to do.

I am not very impressed with Fast overall, but I can only notice that Fast is making passes with the puck that are much smarter and more poised than we see from many of the veterans of this team. To be perfectly honest, that says more about the others than of Fast. Like when you go -- wow he didn't give the puck away there -- it says something about your expectations...
Utter nonsense to blame any coach for the present after they have left. How long does that flimsy excuse exist for poor play?

Do you blame Kreider's coach in school for his poor NHL play?

Do you blame a player's old coach after the player is traded if he underperforms?

At what point does it become up to the players to play well?

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
What perplexes me (and gives me hope) is that he has had those excellent games in the playoffs both in 2012 and 2013.

Love the kid. He is pure talent physically. I am not seeing it at all these days though and havent for a long time.
Besides clutch goal in 2013, that was not mindblowing either though, was it?

He was very good in 2012 playoffs however.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Utter nonsense to blame any coach for the present after they have left. How long does that flimsy excuse exist for poor play?

Do you blame Kreider's coach in school for his poor NHL play?

Do you blame a player's old coach after the player is traded if he underperforms?

At what point does it become up to the players to play well?

Agreed.

As for your last question, it never has to be on the player's personal skill level if you can keep blaming a coach.

The view that Tortorella's style of play mutilated these player's so much, that they are unable to create offensively after his departure is a laughable one. Far more insane than thinking most of these players just simply aren't creative at the NHL level.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The Rangers curse, where the big names go to decay in uselessness, since the mid-nineties.

couldn't we have just traded Duby and Artie for Brass and Moore ... probably not ...

Decay into uselessness... lead the team in scoring...whatever.

Nash didn't score in some preseason games that are completely meaningless for him. Meanwhile, he had 42 points in 44 games last year.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Agreed.

As for your last question, it never has to be on the player's personal skill level if you can keep blaming a coach.

The view that Tortorella's style of play mutilated these player's so much, that they are unable to create offensively after his departure is a laughable one. Far more insane than thinking most of these players just simply aren't creative at the NHL level.

I agree that the idea that Tort's influence is still throwing them off is crazy, but I'm not sure it's an issue of that or an issue of players that can't be creative. We still haven't seen anything like the full lineup together under a new coaching scheme. Even if AV put out the NHL lineup as it stands today, it'd still be missing 3 top 6 forwads in Hagelin, Stepan and Callahan. It's too early to say how the team will play under AV once the expected lineup is out there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kreider needs to be put into a spot where he can succeed. He's not an all around player, he's not a defensively good player. He's got his speed, size and shot. Put him in a simple role where he's basically a shooter, he'll succeed. If he doesn't have the talent around him to allow his skill set to be brought to the forefront, he's most likely going to be drifting around the ice aimlessly.

Mostly, but not entirely this^.

Speed size and shot are not everything, but still is pretty formidable.

We all remember how in last year's playoffs he fearlessly went through none other than Zdeno Chara like a hot knife through butter. On D, I must admit he is still learning, but I think he is holding up his end, and will continue to improve without Torts.

Where the &*((* Nash was, I have no idea, but that didn't help.
It was obviously a huge mistake to not cut Richards, esp. since we have to bury him for the season before we finally do so next year.

None of that helps a young player, any young player, who is trying to keep track of his own defensive assignment and then has to ask 'where are my linemates?'. Kreider lacks the pro experience to do that type of thing on autopilot at the pro level, but he will get there.

Obviously, Nash was kidnapped by the Martians and will be returned immediately. Too early to panic there.

Richards should be Redden-ed. Stepan/Brassard the #1.
CK is good there, but someone said he might be better as the leader of a rookie line rather than trying to follow vets.

While Lindberg/Miller is otherwise best served by open competition, a killer line would be Kreider-Miller-Callahan/Fast. Speed kills, and these guys have it. Say buh bye to Pyatt, asap, make that happen.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Agreed.

The collective group, however, may not be. They work well together in short spurts and that seems to be it most of the time. They have a lot of great individual players, and maybe it's just me, but I don't feel much cohesiveness in the team anymore.

KreiMeARiver*

Decay into uselessness... lead the team in scoring...whatever.

Nash didn't score in some preseason games that are completely meaningless for him. Meanwhile, he had 42 points in 44 games last year.

How did he do in the playoffs?

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
I agree that the idea that Tort's influence is still throwing them off is crazy, but I'm not sure it's an issue of that or an issue of players that can't be creative. We still haven't seen anything like the full lineup together under a new coaching scheme. Even if AV put out the NHL lineup as it stands today, it'd still be missing 3 top 6 forwads in Hagelin, Stepan and Callahan. It's too early to say how the team will play under AV once the expected lineup is out there.

I don't consider it creativity, it's just executing passes. A major reason why they didn't have a good power play was because they couldn't string together 3+ passes without making a bad pass or mishandling a puck. There aren't a whole lot of players on the team that are good passers.

Now you have AV and he's doing a lot of regrouping. That means the players might have to string together four passes just to get the puck up the ice. The players need to step up or else this Rangers team might struggle to get the puck in deep.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
No idea how to assess talent much???

What are you, a scout? :laugh:

Sure the playoffs are what matters most, but to discredit the regular season (especially considering how we hung on by a thread) is stupid imo

People ignore over and over again how Nash played a huge part in getting us into the playoffs. Does he not deserve at least more than one post-season before we start writing him off?

Pre-season loss and people are already losing their minds. Missing integral players, and have a new coach, how cohesive are they supposed to be?

Last edited:

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Nash sucks, he pulled a move in tight and hit the post.

According to a bunch of HF scouts last night, who probably can't skate. The criticisms people decide to cling on to around here are the most ridiculous things.

Nash probably scores a goal in that situation like a quarter of the time? Might be a bit generous, it's not an easy move and being that close to the goalie you don't have much room to shoot.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
And so far not an offensive enigma. What Kreider need to do is to realise that he'll have nothing for free and go back to basic, check hard, get his ass into the corner battling for the puck and show that he belongs in the line-up.

And it's time to stop blaming his line mates for his lack of effort.

He just looks lost. He needs some more seasoning and guidance from the coach. He's still very much like every other AHL player who has yet to learn what it takes to stay at the NHL level. Over time, with more appropriate instructions from AV and co., hopefully he'll be able to develop a game that's fluid enough for him to be a operational part of a line. Right now, his use is limited and the struggles are going to pile in the coming months but hopefully he learns by the time we hit game 30 or so. Once he learns what he needs to learn, then the coaching staff can start throwing him in spots where his skill set can succeed.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I was there in the lower bowl with the wifey watching this game. Outside of seeing the players up close during the pregame skate, the highlight of the night was running into Sam Rosen and Joe before the game started. Got pictures etc and they talked to us like they remember us from the last time there were here lol.

Anyways, Flames were hungrier. A few fellas fighting for a spot and it really showed in their hustle. Everyone from Nash, Richards and regulars skated like this was a shinny game. The problem is, some of the guys fighting for a spot were doing the same.

I really wanted to believe Richards is man possessed this season, but he really really looked like he did last year. BUT, this is preseason. I'll reserve judgement.

I liked Kristo, Asham despite what anyone else said on here in this thread - was really the only other one that stood out as someone really trying to do something.

Man John Moore can really move his feet and cover the rink effortlessly.

There were some good displays of quick puck movement that I liked in the offensive zone, but overall a game were there wasn't much heart into it.

Bardof425*

Just watched the highlight of our only goal last night. Could have been Boyle's goal but the problem is he's a friggin' clod.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Nash sucks, he pulled a move in tight and hit the post.

According to a bunch of HF scouts last night, who probably can't skate. The criticisms people decide to cling on to around here are the most ridiculous things.

Nash probably scores a goal in that situation like a quarter of the time? Might be a bit generous, it's not an easy move and being that close to the goalie you don't have much room to shoot.

mid season he scores... we can't forget that these guys are still a little bit rusty especially since we've only played three games.. just give it time when the regular season starts I bet everything will be just fine

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I still think kreider will be fine. I though he did well in the first preseason game. last Night i admit i was not impressed. However the same can be said for most of the lineup. Besides Staal they also looked rusty after not playng for a week. Lets see how Kreider responds tonight. Cant give up a him after one bad preseason game lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00