And now a break for our sponsor ...

Smartwater.
20230220_101528.jpg

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Hey Sabres fans,

I'm a Zona fan. I come in peace.

Watched the game today because I was curious about Levi -- as a neutral (wrt Buffalo that is) I feel like your goaltending hasn't been great the past few years, probably since Ryan Miller. Imo every SC contending team needs a goalie who is at least good, so maybe it would help to sort that out as part of the effort to get to actual contender status. Levi obvi is a top goalie prospect but I'd never seen him play before today.

Today, imo Levi was VERY good, could not reasonably have been much better. I played goal at a decently high level so I pay more attention to the random stuff no one else cares about (footwork / positioning, not chasing the play etc). To me, seems like Levi can stop the puck and also has top tier fundamentals, more than most NHL starters as far as I can tell.

It's only one game but I could not have been more impressed, esp after he saw barely any shots the first couple periods (as a goalie, games like that are really hard to play, esp when against world class talent like the Rangers have). Again, it's only one game but after seeing this one game I really hope that if / when the Yotes make the SC finals we play literally any team except you guys.

Still very early of course. But holy hell I think you might have a really good goalie on your hands

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I rip on Dunleavy a lot, but I gotta give credit where it's due: Skinner Skinner overtime winner was a fantastic call

I read through a bit of the Rangers GDT, and they were giving both DD and Rayzor a lot of credit as a good booth.

I think DD's really taken the job this year and done a very good job of it...........when he stays focused on the game.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I read through a bit of the Rangers GDT, and they were giving both DD and Rayzor a lot of credit as a good booth.

I think DD's really taken the job this year and done a very good job of it...........when he stays focused on the game.
We haven't really had much to be hopefull for the last 12 years, now they are exciting and are pulling in new fans.

Probably a lot easier to call games when you actually enjoy watching the team.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
We haven't really had much to be hopefull for the last 12 years, now they are exciting and are pulling in new fans.

Probably a lot easier to call games when you actually enjoy watching the team.
I just wish RJ had another year in him. Would have been great to hear him with a team that is young and exciting, as opposed to the crap he had to call over the past decade.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He's grown into it with RJ gone and also now that he and Ray mostly are able to travel with the team. I don't think he enjoys/excels at calling the game off a TV monitor.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
He's grown into it with RJ gone and also now that he and Ray mostly are able to travel with the team. I don't think he enjoys/excels at calling the game off a TV monitor.

He's definitely gotten better. He doesn't have that "It" factor RJ has - most don't - but he's pretty solid and I'm at least not annoyed. Not sure what the Rangers fans see in Ray though. I think he can be great as the third guy on the ice but they need a solid Lorenz / Neale type with a larger vocabulary and more insight than just reading what's on the screen.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

he is supposed to be a play by play announcer, the problem is he cant do that, he has problems tracking the game.
When there is a confusion with a call or uncertainty he falls quiet before the ad break; I think last night he didn't announce the PP before the break so I had to check nhl.com who actually got penalized. never had that with RJ.
he is not unsympathetic like those homer crews.
If he was a player I would sent him a level down to learn to call the game at a slower speed. but maybe he was called up to early even tough he had some veteran protection for a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad