Nyquist's Next Contract

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I would do 8 years and 40 million without batting an eye if he would.

I am guessing he wants it broken into two significant paydays. So 5 years at 4.5 million probably isn't bad. Anything under 5.5 million and I will be happy, I think we come out winners on this deal regardless.

Absolutely wonderful would be Patches contract in Montreal. Six years at 27 million, it could set Tatar's next contract too, though the cap world does change these. It is always hard to say what the raise is in terms of this.

I do think we want to avoid a nasty RFA scenario, not sure if Nyquist is eligible for arbitration, but that would be very contentious. He and his agent could rightfully push for a fairly large settlement and the Wings would come in with a very low number more than likely. Some feelings could get hurt if we get into that process.

I see Nyquist as a core piece, so really I am okay with anything ranging from 4 to 8 years, hopefully we keep the price down to some degree as Tatar is looking at a similar contract coming out of his three year deal. So if it gets extremely expensive we might be in trouble there depending on what the cap does.

8 years? Woah boy. Making me nervous TZE.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
8 years? Woah boy. Making me nervous TZE.

I have been quite clear on my belief in Nyquist clear back to Maine. I understand others not going there, I will be curious to see what they do, I honestly would be surprised if they went that high on term. I just said I would do it without worrying.

I don't think we should do a short bridge. We will see what both sides want, but I expect Nyquist to be in Detroit for a long-time and there are very few things I would move him for and few reservations I have about locking him up and eventually slapping a letter on his jersey.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I have been quite clear on my belief in Nyquist clear back to Maine. I understand others not going there, I will be curious to see what they do, I honestly would be surprised if they went that high on term. I just said I would do it without worrying.

I don't think we should do a short bridge. We will see what both sides want, but I expect Nyquist to be in Detroit for a long-time and there are very few things I would move him for and few reservations I have about locking him up and eventually slapping a letter on his jersey.

I'd be more surprised if Nyquist was willing to take that long of a deal than the Wings offering it to him. If he keeps playing the way he's trending, he could hit UFA and score a massive deal somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if he could pull in nearly $5m on a short deal, and then look at $6-8m on another deal on the open market with a higher cap.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'd be more surprised if Nyquist was willing to take that long of a deal than the Wings offering it to him. If he keeps playing the way he's trending, he could hit UFA and score a massive deal somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if he could pull in nearly $5m on a short deal, and then look at $6-8m on another deal on the open market with a higher cap.

Agree, that is why I said I don't really have a problem with much of anything they would offer him. I think we will come to terms with him on something that most of us will find fair. I hope there is a long-term relationship between the two sides.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Agree, that is why I said I don't really have a problem with much of anything they would offer him. I think we will come to terms with him on something that most of us will find fair. I hope there is a long-term relationship between the two sides.

I'm with you TZE. Lock that boy up for life. He's the kind of player you build around and when he's old, he's that veteran the young punks learn from.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm with you TZE. Lock that boy up for life. He's the kind of player you build around and when he's old, he's that veteran the young punks learn from.

I'll third this motion. Also think he wears a letter one day, as mentioned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad