Nyquist's future

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And Pulkks is on course for 50 goals, doesn't mean you aren't complaining about him constantly.
It's possible to not play that well overall but still be effective. I think Nyquist has lots of room for improvement, but he's not been ineffective. Neither has Pulkkinen.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's possible to not play that well overall but still be effective. I think Nyquist has lots of room for improvement, but he's not been ineffective. Neither has Pulkkinen.

I believe that Nyquist has been the most disappointing player purely because he's so talented.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I believe that Nyquist has been the most disappointing player purely because he's so talented.
I think defensemen have adapted to him. Here's the book on Nyquist: if you close the gap on him and get physical, he's got nothing. His entire game is using his skating and stickhandling to go wide and wrist it in. Take that away and he's not doing anything at all. He's not a physical threat, he'll never go through you, and if he's in traffic, he's quiet as a mouse.

Nyquist needs to find a way to get strong enough to protect the puck along the boards. He's too one-dimensional because he needs to always be skating somewhere to make plays, but today's game just doesn't have that kind of room. If he can find the strength to protect the puck and look around for lanes, he can be more of a playmaker like Zetterberg.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

That is a pretty interesting take. I thought you just didn't like him very much.

I think defensemen have adapted to him. Here's the book on Nyquist: if you close the gap on him and get physical, he's got nothing. His entire game is using his skating and stickhandling to go wide and wrist it in. Take that away and he's not doing anything at all. He's not a physical threat, he'll never go through you, and if he's in traffic, he's quiet as a mouse.

Nyquist needs to find a way to get strong enough to protect the puck along the boards. He's too one-dimensional because he needs to always be skating somewhere to make plays, but today's game just doesn't have that kind of room. If he can find the strength to protect the puck and look around for lanes, he can be more of a playmaker like Zetterberg.

He did by most accounts gain weight/bulk this off-season. Can't say I notice a huge difference, but he does need to diversify his game. That said, he does find a way to break it open pretty often, even if the defense know what's coming. One good outlet pass or turnover in the neutral zone, and he can turn that into a goal in no time. And when we have numbers you can't really do anything about it.

I would like for him to continue to get stronger, and do some of the things you say, but even with defenses knowing the book on him I still see him getting scoring opportunities pretty regularly. They know the book on him when he led the league in goals 2 years ago over about 4-5 months, and he followed that up with a 27 goal campaign, and now has 2 goals in 5 games so far. So I mean, it's not like people have figured him out and shut him down. But to take it to the next level, if there is going to be one, he definitely has to do what you are saying.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That is a pretty interesting take. I thought you just didn't like him very much.

He did by most accounts gain weight/bulk this off-season. Can't say I notice a huge difference, but he does need to diversify his game. That said, he does find a way to break it open pretty often, even if the defense know what's coming. One good outlet pass or turnover in the neutral zone, and he can turn that into a goal in no time. And when we have numbers you can't really do anything about it.

I would like for him to continue to get stronger, and do some of the things you say, but even with defenses knowing the book on him I still see him getting scoring opportunities pretty regularly. They know the book on him when he led the league in goals 2 years ago over about 4-5 months, and he followed that up with a 27 goal campaign, and now has 2 goals in 5 games so far. So I mean, it's not like people have figured him out and shut him down. But to take it to the next level, if there is going to be one, he definitely has to do what you are saying.

I don't dislike him, I just think that he plays way too cute at times and it makes him a lot less effective as a player. So he angers me a lot, but I wouldn't trade him for a bag of pucks or something.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't dislike him, I just think that he plays way too cute at times and it makes him a lot less effective as a player. So he angers me a lot, but I wouldn't trade him for a bag of pucks or something.

Yeah, I hear you. When he passed the puck wide open in the slot the other day on a 3 on 2, or 2 on 1, or whatever it was, I almost threw a shoe at my TV.

Like c'mon dude. Hold it and shoot a wrister. He does do that stuff sometimes. Over-thinks things, or tries to make things harder than they need to be at times.

Interesting though that you think he is disappointing because of how talented you think he is. Do you think he should be producing more? Or do you simply think he should change his play style a bit?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah, I hear you. When he passed the puck wide open in the slot the other day on a 3 on 2, or 2 on 1, or whatever it was, I almost threw a shoe at my TV.

Like c'mon dude. Hold it and shoot a wrister. He does do that stuff sometimes. Over-thinks things, or tries to make things harder than they need to be at times.

Interesting though that you think he is disappointing because of how talented you think he is. Do you think he should be producing more? Or do you simply think he should change his play style a bit?

I think that if he didn't force plays as much, and didn't pass first he would have scored 30 goals for sure by now. I also think the fact he's gotten away with cute plays in the past has given him incentives to not strengthen up and now that D-men know what to expect it's catching up a bit. He has all the tools to be top 15 winger in the league, he just needs to get stronger and not force things and I think he could be a 70 point guy. I don't know if he will now under Bash, but I think Babcock was trying to break him of the cuteness, hopefully Bash will continue that.

I tend to post a lot when I an frustrated, or when I think people are over blowing things. I like a lot of players more than people would expect. AA, Abdelkader, Nyquist and Kronwall are all players I like, and I own jerseys of three of them (the last three), I just think at times it's hard to be that excited on here when some people are so over the top about them.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
All Nyquist needs to do is step up in the playoffs and the fans will defend him mostly.

A bit of better dfence skills help 2.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
My argument is.

How much has he developed the last two years? Is he even better now than he was when he first got a sure spot on the big team?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
My argument is.

How much has he developed the last two years? Is he even better now than he was when he first got a sure spot on the big team?

Well he was 24 when he first started. It wouldn't surprise me if he was already pretty damn close to his peak at that point, which a lot of players are. It also wouldn't surprise me if he hit his peak at 28 or 29. Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad