Nyquist's future

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Could be worse fates than ending up a 25-30 goals + 25-30 assists player.

That said he is 26, not 36. So he could still find ways to improve and become better overall player. Obviously the playoffs is where he needs to find ways to contribute more, that's his biggest hurdle right now.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
When you realize he makes less than David Bolland and Clarkson you will smile.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i think what we saw last season is pretty much what he is going to be for the rest of his career. around 55-60 points per season for his prime. some years less, some years a bit more. average at best all around game.

dangledangledeke

One thing I've noticed when I did some fact checking last season is Red Wing prospects tend to hit their primes around 28 years old. That differs from the rest of the league who hits their offensive primes around 23-26. Probably due to the long development path the Wings use. If I recall, there was only 1 player - Henrik Zetterberg - who didn't follow that path (Without checking, I believe his offensive prime was around 22?).

As for Nyquist, I'm still optimistic he finds another step in his game. He has the Hockey IQ. He has been dynamite at every level in his career. The realist in me says he will settle in at around a 55-60 point player though. With how low scoring is around the league, that should be looked at positively.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
One thing I've noticed when I did some fact checking last season is Red Wing prospects tend to hit their primes around 28 years old. That differs from the rest of the league who hits their offensive primes around 23-26. Probably due to the long development path the Wings use. If I recall, there was only 1 player - Henrik Zetterberg - who didn't follow that path (Without checking, I believe his offensive prime was around 22?).

As for Nyquist, I'm still optimistic he finds another step in his game. He has the Hockey IQ. He has been dynamite at every level in his career. The realist in me says he will settle in at around a 55-60 point player though. With how low scoring is around the league, that should be looked at positively.

Zetteberg's best offensive seasons were 25-28. His peak was at 27. He was a rookie at 22.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Oops, correct. It was someone else then. It's been almost a year since I did the research. Should've written a blog post about it just to cite.

But, that does add evidence to what I was stating, Red Wing primes are later than most NHL players.

Maybe Yzerman? His peak offensive year was at 23.

Your right though, almost all Wings' prospects in the last 25 years have hit their prime post-25 years of age. Larkin might be an exception starting at 19.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Most forwards do hit their offensive peaks somewhere around Nyquist's age, but I'd be curious to see what he does this year before I'd say anything is conclusive.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
It took Zetterberg a couple years and more responsibility to break out as a star. Nyquist will do the same

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Seems like you're the stereotypical Red Wings fan who isn't happy unless he's unhappy.

Nyquists development is fine. That's why they paid him 4.75 over four years.

Uhhhh what? How is he complaining or unhappy ? He made an observation that Nyquist appears to have stopped improving. It's still early in the season, but I agree with him at this point

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
From an offensive standpoint, i don't expect his game to develop any further. 50-60ish point winger. Now he just needs to improve his two way game, which is something he is definitely capable of doing.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I wouldn't get our panties in a bunch much. Its probably just a fantasy related probe on what Nyquist's ceiling is. It seems at worst his development tops off as a 60ish points winger and that is pretty darn good if you ask me. If his development is done he is still a great player.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This season he's been very ineffective. He falls down a lot, he seems to be chasing the play, and he tries to get way too fancy.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I think a lot of guys have unrealistic expectations of Gus. If he continues to score 25-30 goals and 25-30 assists he is a great asset. My only concern with Gus is he seems to get knocked off the puck too easy. Then he tries to get too cute. But he is a solid weapon. About 15 guys I am more concerned with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad