GDT: Nyquist and the Kentucky Derby 5/7/16

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/211370/nyquist-draws-post-13-is-3-1-derby-favorite

nyquist-winner-2015.jpg

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think the race shape sets up well for him. I can't remember another derby with such little early speed. I still don't trust an Uncle Mo to get a mile and a quarter.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
ok so I know nothing about horse racing, but love that Gus is apparently really good. could anyone give me an idea of why he is the favorite, and why position matters. any info would be helpful. thanks guys.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
ok so I know nothing about horse racing, but love that Gus is apparently really good. could anyone give me an idea of why he is the favorite, and why position matters. any info would be helpful. thanks guys.

He has won all seven of his lifetime starts (6 graded stakes races) and has earned $3.3 million to date. His wins include the Breeder's Cup Juvenile last fall (the biggest North American dirt race for 2-year-olds) and the Florida Derby (one of the bigger KY derby prep races where he beat leading Derby contender Moyhamen). He has shown an ability to run at the front of the pack which is helpful in this race because it may allow him to control the pace to one degree or another.

In the KY Derby you do not want a post down on the rail and you don't want to be super far outside (19 or 20). The rail is much worse, however, than the far outside (a horse named Danzig Candy is in post 20 and could factor in this year's race for pace reasons). Anyways, he has a good post position for this race.

The downside is that his sire (Uncle Mo) is not known for producing horses that excel at the longer distances.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We need to see a Nyquist succeed in May, am I right?

Thought Nyquist was actually fine in terms of the playoffs this year. A lot better effort. Also he did score the GWG for Sweden yesterday...

I get it was a joke, but Nyquist hasn't had nearly as difficult of a Spring. It isn't always your fault when things don't go well in the post-season. While it is alarming I was happy with the way he played this year in the series if he keeps that up his playoff struggles should disappear moving forward.

Obviously rooting for his namesake horse today, hope he can make it four straight Kentucky Derby favorite champions.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Thought Nyquist was actually fine in terms of the playoffs this year. A lot better effort. Also he did score the GWG for Sweden yesterday...

I get it was a joke, but Nyquist hasn't had nearly as difficult of a Spring. It isn't always your fault when things don't go well in the post-season. While it is alarming I was happy with the way he played this year in the series if he keeps that up his playoff struggles should disappear moving forward.

Obviously rooting for his namesake horse today, hope he can make it four straight Kentucky Derby favorite champions.

You can play good and not produce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad