Trade: [NYM/PIT] Neil Walker for Jon Niese

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jan Hrdina for Danius Zubrus...except it actually happened.

This is the definitive unsexy trade that just makes too much sense for both teams.

I love Walker, but he's 100% going to test free agency in a year (so the Mets will likely recoup a sandwich round pick to make up for Niese having more years of control) and is a luxury when we need to rebuild the bottom 3 spots in the rotation. It'll be interesting to see if the Bucs will give Alen Hanson a chance at the job (who, somewhat ironically, made Dilson Herrera expendable a couple years back).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Neil Walker is basically the same player as Daniel Murphy except without the playoff HR streak and maybe slightly more consistent.

Huntington's offseason moves are basically like clockwork. Nothing to be thrilled about on either side, but I am a bit surprised we turned Walker into a decent, controllable asset. A few days ago I figured bullpen depth or middling prospects might be what we're looking at.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
The rare "Baseball trade".

Pleased with it. No money spent here, its a wash with Neise/Walker's salaries.

They were prepared to give 55-60 mill to Zobrist. Make it 100 or a little more and offer it to Cespedes on a 4 year deal. Probably won't be enough, but maybe its possible.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The rare "Baseball trade".

Pleased with it. No money spent here, its a wash with Neise/Walker's salaries.

They were prepared to give 55-60 mill to Zobrist. Make it 100 or a little more and offer it to Cespedes on a 4 year deal. Probably won't be enough, but maybe its possible.

Ummm... That would put Cespedes as the third highest paid position player by AAV in all of baseball behind Miggy and A-Rod. That's probably not a good idea.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Ummm... That would put Cespedes as the third highest paid position player by AAV in all of baseball behind Miggy and A-Rod. That's probably not a good idea.

Its a short term deal. The concern for Cespedes isn't that he won't be good in 3-4 years, but that he won't be good for a long term 6-8 deal like he is rumored to want.

I'm just hoping that the market for him isn't as high as he and Roc Nation have hoped and we can get him on a short term deal with maybe a little more AAV than hes worth.

I think no matter what, he's going to get 20-25 mill per year.

He's going to be overpaid, that is free agency. But he is a perfect fit for the Mets with the roster they have. They can't upgrade anywhere else unless they trade a Duda, or D'narud or something. The roster is pretty much locked in, the only place they can get a bat is CF. He was a perfect fit last season and he is a perfect fit now, even as a player with tons of flaws, as we know.

I mean, would you rather pay him 25 a year for 4 or 21 a year for 7 or 8? No contest for me. Who cares about the AAV, its about the risk of it blowing up and hurting you long-term.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This is the move the Mets should have made along. With a guy like Herrera waiting to come up I had no idea why they wanted Zobrist for 4 years unless they are convinced Herrera won't be a ML caliber 2B for some reason.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
This is the move the Mets should have made along. With a guy like Herrera waiting to come up I had no idea why they wanted Zobrist for 4 years unless they are convinced Herrera won't be a ML caliber 2B for some reason.

Positional flexibility since Walker is much more of a pure 2B...but that's about it.

FWIW moving Walker back to 3B is something that could probably be done easily enough, there was just no reason for the Pirates to ever consider him there once he was moved away. Of course most of Walker's value is based on having that bat at a traditionally anemic offensive position (the move Walker to 1B crowd was driving me crazy).

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI

His swing sucks.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
What I don't understand is why they would have rather signed Zobrist than make this trade.

Its not even a contest for me, I make the trade in a second over that signing.

Unless they had plans to get something else for Niese.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Its a short term deal. The concern for Cespedes isn't that he won't be good in 3-4 years, but that he won't be good for a long term 6-8 deal like he is rumored to want.

I'm just hoping that the market for him isn't as high as he and Roc Nation have hoped and we can get him on a short term deal with maybe a little more AAV than hes worth.

He's going to be overpaid, that is free agency. But he is a perfect fit for the Mets with the roster they have. They can't upgrade anywhere else unless they trade a Duda, or D'narud or something. The roster is pretty much locked in, the only place they can get a bat is CF. He was a perfect fit last season and he is a perfect fit now, even as a player with tons of flaws, as we know.

I mean, would you rather pay him 25 a year for 4 or 21 a year for 7 or 8? No contest for me. Who cares about the AAV, its about the risk of it blowing up and hurting you long-term.

I'd just rather go after Heyward. This is like the Porcello thing all over again. A bad contract is a bad contract no matter how short it is. Anyway, I just don't see Cespedes signing a 3-4 year deal. This is his big money contract and he's gonna try to get the most out of it.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

The longer Cespedes remains out there the more likely he's going to end up back here. Detroit and San Fran were considered 2 of his likeliest landing spots and both have announced in the last few days they are not interested anymore or never were. I think it was maybe Juan Gonzalez years back everyone thought would be a hot UFA commodity and come late January he was still out there and either had to return to his former team or settle for some surprise bottom feeder team.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Funny thing on WFAN one of the hosts mentioned this trade about a week ago and Jon Heyman said he doubts the Pirates would accept it :laugh:

Good fair trade, I guess Mets resign Colon or simply have Montero as the 5th starter until Wheeler recovers from Tommy John

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
damn weird thing we were talking about this early in the afternoon and I find out about it after i got to work.
good baseball trade for both sides. Pirates needed a back of the rotation guy and the Mets obviously needed a every day second baseman.
Wish Niese the best of luck.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What are we looking at for PIT rotation next year? Something like Cole - Liriano and then a combination of Morton - Locke - Niese - Taillon?

That still needs some work to be a real contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad