News Article: Nylander's dad (Michael) now a coach in Mississauga

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
It's good to keep an eye on your sons when they are just 17/19 years old. It gives him an opportunity to coach in CHL and also gives his sons a parent they can rely on till they are at least 21. Not a bad idea actually. I would do the same if I were a hockey player and I got a coaching opportunity.

On top of everything Mississauga has really bad coaches so it's not like Michael is just there for his son. When did you ever hear a good to great player coming out of Mississauga? I don't hear nothing.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
You know that 9 or 10 game rule or whatever? Can those games be at any point during the season? Could he play the last 10 games of the season for example without burning a year off the ELC?

And how does playoffs factor into this? I assume he couldn't play the last 10 + playoffs without burning an ELC year right?

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Only on hfboards could they turn hiring one of the finest Swedish centres in history as assistant coach of his son's OHL team a bad thing.

This is obviously a great and accomplished family. A lot of you guys have daddy issues...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I doubt we'll ever know but I figure i'll ask anyway - is William living with Michael and Alex this year?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I doubt we'll ever know but I figure i'll ask anyway - is William living with Michael and Alex this year?
Would be a bit surprised as they have to get to opposite ends of the city. William probably lives in the lake shore condo's (in New Toronto) between Ricoh Coliseum and Mastercard Center like most Marlies, but I guess Michael is rich enough to rent a compound mansion on Mississauga Rd if William is gonna live with him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've found absolutely nothing to dislike about Nylander's development so far.

I wasn't implying it was going to be a problem, it was just a statement.
He certainly wasn't as intrusive as Domi for example.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Would be a bit surprised as they have to get to opposite ends of the city. William probably lives in the lake shore condo's (in New Toronto) between Ricoh Coliseum and Mastercard Center like most Marlies, but I guess Michael is rich enough to rent a compound mansion on Mississauga Rd if William is gonna live with him.

It would be better for his transition I think to have live with a veteran or have Michael around, my opinion of course but just like the idea of not leaving an 18-20 year old kid on their own as they get into the NHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It would be better for his transition I think to have live with a veteran or have Michael around, my opinion of course but just like the idea of not leaving an 18-20 year old kid on their own as they get into the NHL.
He most likely lives with some veteran already. Doubt he's by himself, even if he is its probably in a building with either other Marlies and/or Leafs. The team has probably done/recommended other things to make his every day life easier such as cleaning services, car service and grocery delivery. There's no way they put him by himself and tell him to figure it out.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He most likely lives with some veteran already. Doubt he's by himself, even if he is its probably in a building with either other Marlies and/or Leafs. The team has probably done/recommended other things to make his every day life easier such as cleaning services, car service and grocery delivery. There's no way they put him by himself and tell him to figure it out.

I remember Pierre McGuire on the radio talked about Carey Price's first 3 years in the league, and how his body fat and weight increased a lot in that time, and that they should have never left him alone.

Whereas you look at Giroux and Coots getting to live with Briere, and Ekblad living with Wille Mitchell, I see having that vet who's been around and living with them as a positive.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I remember Pierre McGuire on the radio talked about Carey Price's first 3 years in the league, and how his body fat and weight increased a lot in that time, and that they should have never left him alone.

Whereas you look at Giroux and Coots getting to live with Briere, and Ekblad living with Wille Mitchell, I see having that vet who's been around and living with them as a positive.
Pretty sure this is the standard now. For example McDavid is living with Hall this year and Eichel with Moulson. I'm sure there is a strong support system set up. Shanahan doesn't seem like the type to invest what he has in scouting without a strong plan for player development.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Pretty sure this is the standard now. For example McDavid is living with Hall this year and Eichel with Moulson. I'm sure there is a strong support system set up. Shanahan doesn't seem like the type to invest what he has in scouting without a strong plan for player development.

I think Hall and Gazdic live together, so he may have a couple of vets.

I hope they are smart and do that for our young guns (support system) - Was just thinking/wondering out loud if William would stay with his dad this year with him being close by....grab a condo/house in between Sauga and Toronto and deal with the commute..

Pholus

May 23, 2014
You know that 9 or 10 game rule or whatever? Can those games be at any point during the season? Could he play the last 10 games of the season for example without burning a year off the ELC?

And how does playoffs factor into this? I assume he couldn't play the last 10 + playoffs without burning an ELC year right?

Upon playing in his 10th NHL game at any point in the year (including playoffs), the 1st year of his ELC will be burned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad