News Article: Nylander's dad (Michael) now a coach in Mississauga

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
I wonder if it was a condition of Alexander committing to the Steelheads.

If so, I'd find it a bit concerning.

samyy

Apr 14, 2009

Why?
There are a lot of....distractions in the CHL, he probably just wants to keep a closer eye on his sons off-ice behaviour.

Not every parent is going to feel comfortable having their 17-18 year old kids leaving and moving half-way across the world.

Also, its not like he has nothing to offer, he has had a long hockey career, I'm sure he understands the game enough to be an assistant at the junior level.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
Why?
There are a lot of....distractions in the CHL, he probably just wants to keep a closer eye on his sons off-ice behaviour.

Not every parent is going to feel comfortable having their 17-18 year old kids leaving and moving half-way across the world.

Also, its not like he has nothing to offer, he has had a long hockey career, I'm sure he understands the game enough to be an assistant at the junior level.

I'm sure Mr Nylander has enough experience to be an assistant coach in the CHL. I'm also sure that if all he wanted was to keep an eye on his sons off ice activities he could live very comfortably in the Mississauga area without a coaching job.

It would be concerning if it was a condition of his son committing because if so it smells of Mr Lindros syndrome. Trying to control every aspect of their child's development in hockey.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why?

Basically what I was going to say.

It must be a huge adjustment for kids to come here and play if they hardly know the language (assuming that he'll be alright tho) and different traditions.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Interesting to see how the younger Nylander does this year. He has only improved his draft stock over the last year, pushing up the rankings since, if I recall correctly, being viewed as a fringe 1st/2nd round pick earlier on.

LeafsFIO*

Yeah this seems a little off to me. It'd be one thing to join a team with a solid foundation as an advisor, but becoming an assistant right behind James Boyd who's undoubtedly on the hot seat? If the owners can Boyd early in the year (some expecting it happens if they get off to another rough start) does Nylander become head coach?

There was a huge conflict of interest that tore apart the Wolves last year with the Culls, can't see it being any better in Mississauga is an import's father takes over behind the bench.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

It must be a huge adjustment for kids to come here and play if they hardly know the language (assuming that he'll be alright tho) and different traditions.

I don't know, William, and I assume Alex, grew up living the North American life on and off the ice. I imagine it wouldn't be as hard on them as other imports.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Nylander's dad?

I'm pretty sure he's had a successful enough career to be called Michael Nylander in the title lol. He had a fantastic career.

CalgaryLeaf*

Nylander's dad?

I'm pretty sure he's had a successful enough career to be called Michael Nylander in the title lol. He had a fantastic career.

Thanks for sharing...:shakehead

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This just in, Kapanen's dad to help Michael Nylander's son develop on the Marlies.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for sharing...:shakehead

I support X66's comment, he's not coaching William so when most of Leafs' fan base probably doesn't know Alex is in Mississauga this year, you can say "Michael Nylander to coach son (Alex) in Mississauga"

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I had a feeling that the Nylander family might end up back in NA. 2 of their sons will likely have careers here and it is where they have lived for the majority of the last 20 years.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other way around: Alex accepted and the Steelheads knew they had the added incentive of being really close to William, so they decided to offer a pretty well-respected name in Michael a spot on their staff. I would be surprised if Michael had no interest, sons or not, to coach in the CHL anywhere, but those two facts swayed him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Who cares?

Michael Nylander also played with, and coached William in Sweden, which led to the bogus diva, entitlment bs that was a cause of Nylander falling to us.

So, if this causes Alex to fall to our PIT pick, then I'm all for it.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other way around: Alex accepted and the Steelheads knew they had the added incentive of being really close to William, so they decided to offer a pretty well-respected name in Michael a spot on their staff. I would be surprised if Michael had no interest, sons or not, to coach in the CHL anywhere, but those two facts swayed him.

That also could be true.

As I said it could be concerning. The timing seems odd is all.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

For the russian kids it is for sure a big problem (read up on young Dominican's in the minor leagues of baseball, the language barrier combined with the economic difference is stunning for them, even worse for Cubans). In the Nylander's case i'm sure Alex is fluent in english (might know it better than Swedish) both kids were raised in the Chicago and Washington area for a significant portion of their life.

While Michael Nylanders presence as coach might be worrying for some its not uncommon at all, and it doesn't seem like he's tried to play agent and dictate terms to the leafs like some other ex nhl dads have done to other teams.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's not like Nylander has no credentials.

Was a great player himself and has been coaching in Sweden.

Mississauga likely used this opportunity to add someone that can teach these young kids what it takes.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why do people assume that Nylander will be in the AHL the whole season? What is stopping him from being a full time NHLer this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad