Nylander vs Dzingel

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don’t see much of a legitimate argument being made by anyone who voted Dzingel?

Re; the second part - it’s important to remember Marner was above PPG over the back half of last season when he was eventually put with Kadri. Bozak and JVR aren’t really high IQ players so you really saw his game take off when put with another guy who can make plays and see/think the game at a high level. He was kind of being held back at times, especially early in the year when demoted for to the 4th line despite being the least responsible for the lines struggles. Babcock rode him hard before ever putting him with one of their top two centres... He eventually forced his hand and you’d have to look it up but I know he’s put together a pretty impressive stretch ever since. Well over a point per game while being satisfactory to good in the neutral and d zone, even killing penalties this year.

... I’d even argue Tavares actually benefits more from Mitch Marner. The duo certainly drive each others numbers up, but the same can be said of most elite players who play on a top line.

Tavares definitely benefits as much or more from having Marner on his line. MM is the driver there to be sure, and Marner was already taking strides to becoming a 70+ point player on his own (53p in his last 53gp, though I think only 31 of those were at ES - he was riding a bit on the PP to close it out).

Marner is one of the those guys who is all about confidence. When he's feeling it I'm not sure there's anyone more dangerous with the puck on their stick. The one thing that is holding him back from competing for scoring titles is his timing around the net without the puck - its not a "weakness" but he doesn't really have the shot to consistently score from distance, so he's gotta continue to figure out ways to get scoring chances closer to the net. His average shot length is >31 feet, he ranks 183rd out of 261 forwards who have played >40gp. He's not going to be generating a very high sh% from that distance with his shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparxx87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad