Nylander to be recalled after WJHC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I hope we bring him over, we need him. If he ends up in a situation where his development is being stalled then we will send him down to the marlies.

Jun 27, 2005
Could someone explain the team that Nylander plays for. Wikipedia says that it's a tier 2 team. Does that mean he doesn't play in a top league?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Could someone explain the team that Nylander plays for. Wikipedia says that it's a tier 2 team. Does that mean he doesn't play in a top league?

He's plays for Modo in the top Swedish league, the SHL.

What you read may just be out of date. Last year he played some SHL games but was mostly in the tier-2 division, which is called Allsvenskan.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I thought players were only allowed to move in the transfer window unless they have an expired contract?

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I don't think you can just recall a player from the SHL?

He's under contract for Modo. It's not a league affiliated with the NHL.

Jun 27, 2005
what? he plays for modo in the SHL. im sure wikipedia doesn't say anything different.

He's plays for Modo in the top Swedish league, the SHL.

What you read may just be out of date. Last year he played some SHL games but was mostly in the tier-2 division, which is called Allsvenskan.

Oops, thanks guys. It was last year I guess.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
People don't want him here because of the state of the team, but MODO isn't much better. They just fired their coach I believe as well and they are dead last.

If there's a way we can recall him on an emergency basis from his loan while he's in North America, I would easily do it. He'll be able to get in a couple games before going back.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think the situation is absolutely perfect if the Marlies make the playoffs. Once Modo wraps up the season Nylander will come over to play with the Marlies in the playoffs!

Why bring him over now?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I think the situation is absolutely perfect if the Marlies make the playoffs. Once Modo wraps up the season Nylander will come over to play with the Marlies in the playoffs!

Why bring him over now?

So he can enjoy getting picked apart by the media and fans a like at such a young vibrant age. Just like we did to Kadri, Schenn.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Yes bring him in already.

Great mentors in Kessel and Phaneuf to learn from.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Nylander is another Phil Kessel.

No commitment to defence, a lot of flyby's in all zones and a ton of skill.

Watch him play. I've seen 2 Swedish Elite League games and watched him in the World Junior tournament and his style is the same.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I just saw Nylander get hammered in order to make sure he got the puck into the offensive zone -- I've never seen Kessel do that.

I don't think he's going to be a defensive star but he's certainly far more willing than Kessel and he's only about 170 and 18. Give the guy some time.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I just saw Nylander get hammered in order to make sure he got the puck into the offensive zone -- I've never seen Kessel do that.

I don't think he's going to be a defensive star but he's certainly far more willing than Kessel and he's only about 170 and 18. Give the guy some time.

I would say that's the difference between the 2 right now.

But lets say that player coming to make the hit is Chara or Weber. I think he'll learn to avoid those hits.

I'm not writing the guy off, but it's really hard to change bad habits from when you're young.

The Leafs need a much better system to bring him into that's for sure.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Nylander is another Phil Kessel.

No commitment to defence, a lot of flyby's in all zones and a ton of skill.

Watch him play. I've seen 2 Swedish Elite League games and watched him in the World Junior tournament and his style is the same.

If you think he's playing the same style as he was in Modo you didn't really watch him enough. Even with the Leafs in rookie camp, he was going hard on the forecheck. Its been mentioned a few times now but hasn't stuck, that his coach for SWE told him to focus entirely on offence.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I would say that's the difference between the 2 right now.

But lets say that player coming to make the hit is Chara or Weber. I think he'll learn to avoid those hits.

I'm not writing the guy off, but it's really hard to change bad habits from when you're young.

The Leafs need a much better system to bring him into that's for sure.

I agree. I've not been impressed with a few plays I've seen from Nylander but he at least shows a willingness to defense and taking hits. Look at Kadri, however, he's now our best forward; before he was just another dangling-********* who turned the puck over and couldn't play D.

I don't want Nylander on the same team as Kessel though. I think Nylander can be Patrick Kane. He's one reason I want to dump Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad