Speculation: Nylander the odd man out if the leafs sign Tavares?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
LOL. Well they can........easily.

If we pay everyone what you say, and Matt Martin goes bye-bye, either via trade, or maybe buried in the minors(I say traded), and if Johnsson being an RFA, gets a raise to 2 million, for "S's and G's".....

Forwards = 55.1 million
Hyman(2.25) - Matthews(11) - Nylander(7)
Marleau(6.25) - Tavares(11) - Marner(8)
Johnsson(2) - Kadri(4.5) - Brown(2.1)
Leivo(.750) - Gauthier(.750) - who cares?(.750)

Defence = 18.25 million
Reilly(5) - Hainsey(3)
Gardiner(4) - Zaitsev(4.5)
Dermott(1) - Who cares?(.750)

Goalies = 5.85 million
Andersen(5)
McBackup(.850)

Kessel buyout = 1.2 million
Other small contracts = 1.5 million

That's about 83 million. The cap is expected to be 82 million this year. And they are allowed to exceed the cap by 5+ million, due to Nathan Horton's long term injury. Then after this year, both Gardiner and Hainsey come off the books.

So.......what are you on about?

To be fair, 2019/20 is most definitely going to be a very tight year for us cap wise, but I'm sure we'll figure it out...

Horton's cap hit needs to be included in the cap total before we overspend it too. So, in your version here we are technically over our max.

Also, you seem to have a couple years mixed here. 2019/20 salaries for Matthews, Marner & Nylander, but still have counted Hainsey & Gardiner at their current cap hits. Realistically Hainsey is gone, maybe Liljegren is ready, but Gardiner is gonna get a healthy pay increase based on his offensive production. Beyond that, I'd suspect McElhinney will be gone as his contract expires, and will be replaced with Sparks.

There are a lot of moving parts : Kapanen too.

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Well, many posters around here claim Rielly isn't a #1 and a #2 at best, so we'd be fine with a Rielly type defenceman. Fine just fine. But imo managment would rather trade a player like Nylander for picks or a very good prospect + and develop their player then move a guy like Nylander for a player below his value (like Tanev) + extras, which is just disaster waiting to happen.

I proposed a deal on Leafs board, Andreas Johnsson for Brett Pesce. Born 6 days apart, both drafted in 2013. Obviously i belive Pesce has higher value but if Johnsson gets some solid playing time on top 2 lines and PP minutes and lets say scored 50-60 points then i think Carolina would at least consider it.
Management probably doesn't want to trade nylander for things that don't help now and that trade proposal isn't would be easily declined by the hurricanes.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Because Toronto fans think Nylander is worth a drew doughty/p.k subban type of player. More so worth a Tanev/payarko
I was going to be polite about this, but i might as well call it as it is....that's bullshit. Nylander is not worth Doughty/Subban/Karlsson....but to the other extreme, he's worth more than the offers on HF lately like Stralman/Brodin etc.

As far as commenting on your Parayko/Tanev comment....Lol, Nylander for Parayko would actually be a good trade.....Tanev is not at Parayko's value level, not even close.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
At this point I just want to see one of Marner or Nylander traded just for the reactions
Alot of this I guess

giphy.gif

la-rabbia-mi-stanca.gif

tenor.gif

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Nick Kyperios said that he thinks Nylander will go to Vancouver with Tanev as a starting point. I'd imagine another significant piece would be added from Vancouver's side.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Nick Kyperios said that he thinks Nylander will go to Vancouver with Tanev as a starting point. I'd imagine another significant piece would be added from Vancouver's side.
Nick Kypreous also reported earlier last season that Mitch Marner should be moved for Edler....moral of the story? Kypreous is a dolt.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Jets88

Jul 1, 2016
Trouba for Nylander

Imagine for the Jets

Ehlers - Nylander - Laine

And for the Leafs

Reilly - Trouba

Edit, I wouldn’t do this trade as a Jet fan but the thought of Laine - Nylander - Ehlers in intriguing. But the fact the Nylander hasn’t played Centre regularly and the Jets don’t have enough up and coming RHD, would make me not want to do it.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Spurgeon and Nino for Nylander and Liljegren.

Leafs defense gets a heck of a lot better and Nino adds size and goal scoring to the top-6.

Wild get a right-shot skilled player and a RHD prospect to replace the loss of Spurgeon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad