Rumor: Nylander like Matthews unextended. Nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If you view Nylander as anything but greedy, selfish, and apathetic, then you're probably his dad.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. And just like his old man, Nylander is clearly not a leader or franchise player either. In fact, just the opposite.

He doesn't actually care about the game.

He's just in it because it's all he's ever known. Like the kid in school whose parents were scientists. Born gifted so they never had to study.

But still passed with a solid B.

God, I can only imagine the player Nylander could be if he actually gave a shit. He's uber-talented but EXTREMELY lazy. Even worse is his desire to avoid contact at all costs.

Nylander is a good player who sets a bad example.

A little more effort and he actually could be a superstar. If he really wanted he could be a leader too. Nylander just doesn't have those qualities in him I guess.

Even though he wants to get paid like he does.

I don't look at him as greedy. He was the only one of the core who the Leafs hardballed and had him sit out. They have Matthews and Marner what they wanted. He has gotten 2nd fiddle every season, often being the guy who is benched and held accountable but not Matthews - Marner. He get demoted to 2nd lines and 3rd lines, 2nd PP units, never complained.

Entire time he was making almost half as Matthews and Marner. If he really is saying "I will take less to ice a better team, but not take less so you can overpay Matthews by even more" good on him. That is real leadership.

Give me a break with the effort crap. He has improved every year in that regard and when our season was on the line, he played with the most heart of anyone on our team outside of maybe Rielly. The entire back half of this post is laughably out of touch and reads like a facebook boomer writing it in 2018.

Don't blame Nylander for talking straight up about the mercenary culture here. He's been our best playoff forward for 3 seasons at least.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't look at him as greedy. He was the only one of the core who the Leafs hardballed and had him sit out. They have Matthews and Marner what they wanted. He has gotten 2nd fiddle every season, often being the guy who is benched and held accountable but not Matthews - Marner. He get demoted to 2nd lines and 3rd lines, 2nd PP units, never complained.

Entire time he was making almost half as Matthews and Marner. If he really is saying "I will take less to ice a better team, but not take less so you can overpay Matthews by even more" good on him. That is real leadership.

Give me a break with the effort crap. He has improved every year in that regard and when our season was on the line, he played with the most heart of anyone on our team outside of maybe Rielly. The entire back half of this post is laughably out of touch and reads like a facebook boomer writing it in 2018.

Don't blame Nylander for talking straight up about the mercenary culture here. He's been our best playoff forward for 3 seasons at least.
He chose to sit out, he wasn't forced to sit out. He wasn't hardballed, he should have been hardballed.

When did he talk 'straight up about the mercenary culture'?

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
August 1st hot take:

Matthews will be signed before camp $13.? x 5(I think that "?" will be higher than 5). Nylander will not (what anyone who was around when he signed his last contract would have predicted the second he signed that contract).

Treliving, getting more and more visibly frustrated every time he's asked about Nylander's contract status over the course of the season will assure us that a deal "will get done".

It will not get done and Willie walks next July for nothing after the Leafs get bounced in the first round.
These jabronis don't deserve "own rentals."

So in other words, it's a very realistic scenario.

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
He chose to sit out, he wasn't forced to sit out. He wasn't hardballed, he should have been hardballed.

So he should have agreed on less you suggest? Smart thinking.

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
He sat out to get what he thought he was worth. Dubas eventually caved and then he no showed the rest of the season.
Looking at his contract Nylander was the one who "caved in", hardly got what he asked for? And gets treated like shit alot by coaches, media and fans. Especially around that time. Yet he keeps saying Toronto is the only club he wants to play for. Yet he is the one who shows up when it matters. You would think he is the one you'd wanna keep on the roster.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Looking at his contract Nylander was the one who "caved in", hardly got what he asked for? And gets treated like shit alot by coaches, media and fans. Especially around that time. Yet he keeps saying Toronto is the only club he wants to play for. Yet he is the one who shows up when it matters. You would think he is the one you'd wanna keep on the roster.
He deserved the criticism he received by sitting out. Dubas receives criticism for caving and setting a poor precedent.
I have no problem with him on the roster but with the others having NMC's, IF one is to go he is the likeliest.

Reactions: Arzak

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Nylander has publicly commented on the fact that he was the one who phoned last minute to make a deal. I’m not sure how that constitutes Dubas caving.

I would say he caved with Marner
Always found the who called who to be irrelevant.
Do you believe Dubas would have let the deadline pass without talking one last time?

He messed up with all of them.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Looking forward to this drama dragging out into training camp. Nylander is no stranger to that and it looks like Matthews will be right there along for the ride with him.
Other way around. Matthews said he'd sign for a discount. Willy said if Matty did, he would too.

Matthews is leading the (not a) charge, and Willy is along for the ride.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
If you view Nylander as anything but greedy, selfish, and apathetic, then you're probably his dad.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. And just like his old man, Nylander is clearly not a leader or franchise player either. In fact, just the opposite.

He doesn't actually care about the game.

He's just in it because it's all he's ever known. Like the kid in school whose parents were scientists. Born gifted so they never had to study.

But still passed with a solid B.

God, I can only imagine the player Nylander could be if he actually gave a shit. He's uber-talented but EXTREMELY lazy. Even worse is his desire to avoid contact at all costs.

Nylander is a good player who sets a bad example.

A little more effort and he actually could be a superstar. If he really wanted he could be a leader too. Nylander just doesn't have those qualities in him I guess.

Even though he wants to get paid like he does.

I find all these Leafs players are prima donnas, but this post is wild and very targeted for no reason.

Nylander is doing what most players do, which is taking the money that is his right to fight for. He did take a discount previously on his last contract while others didn't. You can argue that he has been a value contract for the last couple of seasons. He was also the one who showed up consistently for the last two playoffs while others didn't.

He doesn't care about the game because he's taking the money that players get into this business for? Do you take a discount at your job so you can help your company out, while others try to take as much as they can?

This is also a poorly run sport by Bettman where player salaries are miniscule compared to the other major sports. In the NBA, what Matthews makes is similar to what average to less than average players make. The previous GM set the stage and put this kind of vibe around the Leafs where players were coddled and they ran the asylum. They need to change the personalities, but no need to finger point at Nylander when he's simply doing what every single other player on the Leafs does. There needs to be a complete overhaul on how players are treated and if the only target is once again Nylander for whatever reason, then nothing has changed from the last few seasons.

Nylander has a very good reason for not letting the Leafs play hardball on him again.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I find all these Leafs players are prima donnas, but this post is wild and very targeted for no reason.

Nylander is doing what most players do, which is taking the money that is his right to fight for. He did take a discount previously on his last contract while others didn't. You can argue that he has been a value contract for the last couple of seasons. He was also the one who showed up consistently for the last two playoffs while others didn't.

He doesn't care about the game because he's taking the money that players get into this business for? Do you take a discount at your job so you can help your company out, while others try to take as much as they can?

This is also a poorly run sport by Bettman where player salaries are miniscule compared to the other major sports. In the NBA, what Matthews makes is similar to what average to less than average players make. The previous GM set the stage and put this kind of vibe around the Leafs where players were coddled and they ran the asylum. They need to change the personalities, but no need to finger point at Nylander when he's simply doing what every single other player on the Leafs does. There needs to be a complete overhaul on how players are treated and if the only target is once again Nylander for whatever reason, then nothing has changed from the last few seasons.

Nylander has a very good reason for not letting the Leafs play hardball on him again.
NBA has the highest average salary, but also the least amount of players.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
NBA has the highest average salary, but also the least amount of players.
This is not taking into account how much the NBA has grown over the last decade. This isn't just a byproduct of how many players play the sport. The two sports aren't even close.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This is not taking into account how much the NBA has grown over the last decade. This isn't just a byproduct of how many players play the sport. The two sports aren't even close.
Yea the NBA, is the highest avg of all 5 NA sports, as they have the least amount of players per team. Yes the revenue has jumped a lot the last 7 years.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nylander u got a chance here to get away from Tavares and play with players at your own pace...

You might even get to play on pp1. And if you are realy lucky you might get past 2nd round.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Hardballed makes me laugh. Dubas actually flew to Europe to make sure his RFA wasn’t butt hurt, THEN went to New York to meet his agent, then gave Willie a verbal guarantee he wouldn’t be traded. If that’s hardball, my lord. Dubas set the table as a softy with Bill and the others exploited that, there’s a reason he was the agents favourite GM.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

I disagree with that conclusion, at the time most pundits believed he was overpaid by 500K. The first three years of the contract he was overpaid. The past 2 he has been underpaid. So he IMO was fairly compensated.

His contract demands purely are based on the internal cap structure of his teammates. Not comparables IMO. He is not worth more than AHO or Thachuk. So range should be 9.25-9.5 x 8. That’s a fair deal.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Being the only guy to leave the team right after eliminatiom

When the season was on the line... where was nylander gm 1-6 against tampa and gm 1-2 vs florida? He didn't get any points gm 5-6 and gm 1-2 vs florida... but oh wow he was so good on key moment and was the only one showing heart...

Nylander wait leafs was in pretty bad situation trailling 1-0 and 3-2 gm #2 to finally showing any kind of intensity because before that moment, the only place we saw nylander for the good reason was with a men advantage because he was awful at 5v5... its not my defenition of playing with heart but definition of being soft.

He scored 1 5v5 goal in his last 21 playoff game and been totally trash defensivly, how can he be considerate like best leafs player?

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Being the only guy to leave the team right after eliminatiom

When the season was on the line... where was nylander gm 1-6 against tampa and gm 1-2 vs florida?

Nylander wait leafs was in pretty bad situation trailling 1-0 and 3-2 gm #2 to finally showing any kind of heart because before that moment, the only place we saw nylander for the good reason was with a men advantage and was awful at 5v5... its not my defenition of playing with heart but definition of being soft.

He scored 1 5v5 goal in his last 21 playoff game and been totally trash defensivly, how can he be considerate like best leafs player?
Your last line is devastating, it’s a tortured myth he shows up playoff time. Recall as well in 2022 against TB, he came alive when we were down 5-0, game over and potted two nothing goals in the third, that matters when shoving stats down our throats, WHEN counts too. Nylander was embarrassing against TB this year, the former players watching all said it, nobody is picking on him, it’s just there to see and they noted the obvious. It constantly amazes me how people elevate his playoffs here, like he’s some juggernaut that always shows, when really he’s spotty at best, terrible at worst. Keefe literally didn’t trust him on the ice, yet he’s a gamer, give me a break.

If he really wants 10, let’s move on now, because it’s also affecting Matthews signing this off season. We will miss him, but if we get some futures we can also load up at the deadline for a run. Get with the program Bill or get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad