Post-Game Talk: Nylander and Shootouts get Leafs 2 points Vs Flames

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I am done going back and forth... if you can't tell that the defensive effort was better tonight, I don't know how you can be helped.

Yes, stylistically these 4 goals against tonight were much better compared to past 4 goal against efforts.

The way McCabe slotted into Klingberg's spot next to Giordano and was on the ice for 2 goals against was the much needed breathe of fresh air.

We took the long way but I think we finally agree.

Reactions: egd27 and arso40

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
And now we have to pay a premium for a 4-5 D on an expiring deal because he’s big. Every single D man who’s big gets an at least 33% perk on their earnings.

There’s exactly one elite ‘big guy’ and we know him very well, and about 5-6 very good ones - that’s it. There are way more Gudbransons than Hamiltons.

I’d make an offer but not a big one and money will need to go back. I’d do one of the 2024 5ths, a 2025 3rd, a guy like Hirvonen who might make it but not with this group and Murray’s cap hit for him with at least 25% retained.

I do like him though - hits like a truck and can make a pass.

Where are we on Bert vs Domi btw? For me Bert has had a few more excellent games but doesn’t really compliment anyones play, and Domi makes at least one bad very bad mistake a game but is an A, borderline A+ passer, only Mitch, Willy and Mo are better. Keep him with Robertson.

Advantage Domi.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If you expect Zadorov to fix the team's defensive issues I have a bridge to sell you.

Happy with the win, it was fun.

But it was 4-1 ... and they had to squeak by to get 2 points. Nice to see the depth come up. Hopefully Domi getting that winner gets him going more offensively. That line keeps doing well.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
If you expect Zadorov to fix the team's defensive issues I have a bridge to sell you.
I don't think any single defencemen outside of Hedman could fix our defensive issues, but hard to imagine him hurting the situation with a Benoit/Lag third pairing.

Reactions: CincoHolio

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
And Keefe will continue to do that once both the #3/4 defencemen are back on the team but with the added bonus of no longer having to play Klingberg head-to-head against other top-six players.

Rather than freaking out about the player not being able to handle 2nd pairing assignments above his slot, why don't you take a breather and wait for the full group to come back before coming to hasty conclusions.

What you're proposing is to liquidate $4.5M in capspace from the team, replacing him with an AHL player after 13 games in the season.

Seems very reactionary, and emotional. I don't think you've quite come to terms with Kyle being gone and a new guy calling the shots. It's ok to still be hurt about it but you need to sort that out quick. :laugh:
He was signed to bring offence from the bacc end and play in the top 4 with the hope lily took someone’s job through the season but no way we gave him 4 mill to play on a top 5 power play and not play top 4 minutes

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
And now we have to pay a premium for a 4-5 D on an expiring deal because he’s big. Every single D man who’s big gets an at least 33% perk on their earnings.

There’s exactly one elite ‘big guy’ and we know him very well, and about 5-6 very good ones - that’s it. There are way more Gudbransons than Hamiltons.

I’d make an offer but not a big one and money will need to go back. I’d do one of the 2024 5ths, a 2025 3rd, a guy like Hirvonen who might make it but not with this group and Murray’s cap hit for him with at least 25% retained.

I do like him though - hits like a truck and can make a pass.

Where are we on Bert vs Domi btw? For me Bert has had a few more excellent games but doesn’t really compliment anyones play, and Domi makes at least one bad very bad mistake a game but is an A, borderline A+ passer, only Mitch, Willy and Mo are better. Keep him with Robertson.

Advantage Domi.
Him and jt complement each other and him and Willy work Juss give it time

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Him and jt complement each other and him and Willy work Juss give it time

Can you really say that though? I think he’s been playing well lately, going to the net but he’s got 4 points.

He spent the first half of the season so far with Mitch and Matthews. Mitch hasn’t looked too good, and Matthews leads in goals and could easily have 5-6 more.

Then Willy and JT, where Willy is now god and JT has rediscovered his game and looks fast and hungry. All of them are over ppg - and he has 4 points.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

But it was 4-1 ... and they had to squeak by to get 2 points. Nice to see the depth come up. Hopefully Domi getting that winner gets him going more offensively. That line keeps doing well.

I don't mind adding Zadorov, but we have to be smart with that investment in the next blueliner and Zadorov probably won't be the most cost effective solution. Like essentially paying premium on an Ilya Lyubushkin.

Instead I'd point at Hampus Lindholm and the way he has rejuvenated the Bruins on defense or even the Ekholm trade to Edmonton, which was great for them last year. Didn't really cost the Bruins or Oilers too dearly compared to the McCabe trade. If you're going to shell out a 1st, maybe a 2nd, a prospect and a cap dump you might as well get something heavy duty that solves the blueline picture for a number of years.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
When Reaves is out there, the other 4 guys are essentially killing of a Ryan Reaves penalty. But he's serving the penalty on the ice. If that makes sense.
People, as well as the media (cough Overdrive) keep saying, well he's on the ice, but it isn't always his fault. Well it is hard to blame him because like you said, he can't get in the play quick enough to look like it is his fault.

He is literally unplayable. The puck just continues to go in their net with him out there.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
giphy.gif

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Mostly watched highlights, long night it has been. Whats the Coles notes?

Woll bad coughing up 4-1 or was it the D in front?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nylander had more shots on net then the first line together. Not ok.

Put Klingberg on 4rth line instead of Reaves.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

No one player would fix the defense but Zadorov would be a start, and a good one.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Mostly watched highlights, long night it has been. Whats the Coles notes?

Woll bad coughing up 4-1 or was it the D in front?
From what i saw it was 1 bad goal, 1 shot where our dman screened him. One tip and one weird ass bouncing puck through him

In an ideal world, he has the 1st one and one of the 3 back.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
From what i saw it was 1 bad goal, 1 shot where our dman screened him. One tip and one weird ass bouncing puck through him

In an ideal world, he has the 1st one and one of the 3 back.

I mean wouldn't that be 2 bad goals? I'd argue the weird ass bouncing puck counts as a bad goal, because the reason it's bouncing is because Woll is a rebound machine.

That man has NO rebound control to speak of.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad