Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
I think he falls into a Kovalev-talent-artiste type personality.
He’s a kovalev/mogilny type. Talented, skilled, productive but very moody, mercurial, unpredictable and capricious. He’s hard-working and competitive but only on his terms. You never know what you will get from him on a daily basis.

Definitely an enjoying but ultimately frustrating player to watch.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Marner has more playoff points against the Bruins than anyone on the team. More likely people who dont know what they are talking about get exposed through hot takes like this.
No, I notice players play better when openly criticized. Your hot take on my hot take is void. Marner doesnt scare Boston. If he is so great, how many times have we beat them?

$100 says that Marner leads the Leafs in scoring in this series.
Goals? You are on! Marner wont be the hero. P.S I will gladly pay if we win. ;)

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Pretty sure Tre regrets handing him $92m. Should have listened to many posters on this board, instead he listened to Shanny. LOL.
The part we hate is it becomes an excuse to overpay Marner. Instead of Pasta he will point to Nylander.

I wonder how the fans that hate the Tavares deal are gonna enjoy years 6-8 of Nylander's new deal. Four years for Willie and 6-8 for Matty was the better play. Hopefully Tre goes short term with Marner.
And no NMC this time.

Reactions: ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
No, I notice players play better when openly criticized. Your hot take on my hot take is void. Marner doesnt scare Boston. If he is so great, how many times have we beat them?

Not goals, points.

Reactions: authentic

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's always funny listening to Clark talk about Nylander being his favourite player.

On Kyper now saying Nylander has been their best player last 3 playoffs.

Everytime he is on he mentions how much he loves him
No idea why this was quoted
He is consistently .78 ppg. Matty and Mitch dip in performance in those elimination games. Mitch falls into sub 2nd liner performance territory with an abysmal .44ppg.
yes consistently ok.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
An interesting take on a Leaf legend talking about a polarizing player on the team.

In a Nylander discussion thread.
lol. No I meant that was quoted by mistake, not sure how that happened.

Reactions: Jojalu

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
So not worth the money…….

Yup, 88 will be the next 91……
As a winger 88 will probably last longer. And 11mill now will not be the same in 5-6 years., and was way more when Tavares and Marner got signed. In the Toronto bubble, Nylander has been better then Tavares and maby 2 mill away from Marner overall in his performance, during his 7mill contract. He is not being paid to produce 98-100p seasons in 8 years as little as Tavares has been paid that for his years. Everybody knows players decline with age. The difference is that Tavares was paid for what he had done on another team. And Nylander for what he had done on this team.

That said, outside the leafbubble they are all overpaid to begin with. But to expect a Calgary born Swede to take a paycut when the homeboy or frontman dont, is naive.

Nylander will and always has been hated. He need to outproduce himself every season and playoff, and that wont happen.

Reactions: arso40

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
What i can remember i never hated on a leaf player. I belive every player do the best they can, with what they got at the moment. I can hate what they do in somr situations, but no sane player will try there worst during playoffs. If they do, they are insane and need treatment.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks, am I missing something? what's so special about Nylander? Not seeing where he picks his game up.
It's not that he "picks it up" but that he doesn't fade.

Matty goes from 1.06 to 0.67. Drop of .39.
Mitch goes from 1.22 to 0.44. Drop of .78.
Willy goes from 0.81 to 0.79. Drop of .02.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Asking dumb questions is easy like... if he is so bad, why haven't they lost already?
Doesnt add much....right?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
As a winger 88 will probably last longer. And 11mill now will not be the same in 5-6 years., and was way more when Tavares and Marner got signed. In the Toronto bubble, Nylander has been better then Tavares and maby 2 mill away from Marner overall in his performance, during his 7mill contract. He is not being paid to produce 98-100p seasons in 8 years as little as Tavares has been paid that for his years. Everybody knows players decline with age. The difference is that Tavares was paid for what he had done on another team. And Nylander for what he had done on this team.

That said, outside the leafbubble they are all overpaid to begin with. But to expect a Calgary born Swede to take a paycut when the homeboy or frontman dont, is naive.

Nylander will and always has been hated. He need to outproduce himself every season and playoff, and that wont happen.
Many believe Willie was overpaid let alone gave a discount. He was never taking a paycut.

Willie may have been hated after he returned from his "holdout" for being out of shape. I don't think he is hated. How can anybody hate the guy on the TTC commercial talking to his mom and sister?

These days, because of the cap, fans hate the contracts, not the players unless the player is a total asshole.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I never thought Nylander would be a top 10 scorer in the NHL.

Can you imagine if he continues to improve upon his previous season? All players have a peak, perhaps Top 10 in 2024 is it for Nylander? Averaged 1:00 Sh TOI/GP on the PK, first year doing that.

What a great pick by Nonis. Glad Burke was gone by then or it might have been another truculence pick.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I never thought Nylander would be a top 10 scorer in the NHL.

Can you imagine if he continues to improve upon his previous season? All players have a peak, perhaps Top 10 in 2024 is it for Nylander? Averaged 1:00 Sh TOI/GP on the PK, first year doing that.

What a great pick by Nonis. Glad Burke was gone by then or it might have been another truculence pick.
Should have traded down and taken Pastrnak. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad