Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's worth noting The pre-post signing scoring comparable gets distorted by the final 10 games when he was definitely in a scoring slump. The 30ish games post signing his rate wasn't that below what he was scoring before.

The end season slump likely down to a few things, bad luck, bad effort some games (especially during low stakes games), finding chemistry with some line experiments.

Ovver the years his focus definitely dips when there's not a lot at stake. Usually either a mid or end of season dip when playoffs have been a lock ect.

Nylander was on a 120 point pace in January. So his rate post contract definitely cratered when you consider he ended up 22 points short of that with about 40% of the season being played after contract.

Missing from practice today. Maybe he’s banged up.

Reactions: arso40

horner

May 22, 2007
Nylander was on a 120 point pace in January. So his rate post contract definitely cratered when you consider he ended up 22 points short of that with about 40% of the season being played after contract.

Missing from practice today. Maybe he’s banged up.
Keefe gave Willy a hall pass on the last 3 games .
We need a new coach , no wonder ORielly didn't want to resign.

horner

May 22, 2007
Willy should be showing the young players on the team how you prepare for the playoffs but unfortunately Willy is still an immature player

Willy should be showing the young players on the team how you prepare for the playoffs but unfortunately Willy is still an imature player

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner’s big problem is Game 6 and 7 production, elimination game moments.
39 points in 32 games 1-4.

8 points in 18 games 5-7.

Had 4 points in games 5-7 in first Boston series, so 4 points in last 13 games 5-7.

Edit: corrected 39 points in 32 games 1-4 (not 40). 47 points in 50 playoff games

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Willy should be showing the young players on the team how you prepare for the playoffs but unfortunately Willy is still an immature player

Willy should be showing the young players on the team how you prepare for the playoffs but unfortunately Willy is still an imature player

I’m a Willie fan but I think he’s one of those guys who needs a dedicated whisperer to really get him going and you’re always going to have to put an effort in to squeeze the most hockey out of him. Even in a season where he’s this close to 100 points there’s a sense he had a lot more in him.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah especially when they’ve never delivered in the playoffs. I’m a big Nylander guy but his reputation for showing up in the playoffs is relative to expectations and other big guns disappearing. He hasn’t been that great.
Nylander has all the tool to become great, but his heart isn't in it, just like his father...........

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Pretty sure Tre regrets handing him $92m. Should have listened to many posters on this board, instead he listened to Shanny. LOL.
Tre, Shanny, or whoever decided they needed to ink him when they did need to be fired, that contract will be a boat anchor for years to come...........

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Matty, Mitch and Willie (points and PPG)

top 3 games 1-4 (32 games), bottom 3 games 5-7 (18 games)

34​
1.06​
40​
1.25​
25​
0.78​
12​
0.67​
8​
0.44​
14​
0.78​
Thanks, am I missing something? what's so special about Nylander? Not seeing where he picks his game up.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’m a Willie fan but I think he’s one of those guys who needs a dedicated whisperer to really get him going and you’re always going to have to put an effort in to squeeze the most hockey out of him. Even in a season where he’s this close to 100 points there’s a sense he had a lot more in him.
you'd think all those zeros on his paycheck would be inspiration enough, but nope you can't expect being overpaid will inspire the entitled to earn their keep...........

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

And u know how he prepares and how? And how is he immature?

I could say that about every player on this team. We dont know how they prepare. And we absolutly dont know the best way for them to prepare. The best preparation for one individual might be the worst for another.

I think Marner cares to much and cant take critique very well. And Nylander feel waaaaaay more pressure then he or the fans/media belives.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It's always funny listening to Clark talk about Nylander being his favourite player.

On Kyper now saying Nylander has been their best player last 3 playoffs.

Everytime he is on he mentions how much he loves him
if you want to stay on the payroll, you push the company narrative............

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
you'd think all those zeros on his paycheck would be inspiration enough, but nope you can't expect being overpaid will inspire the entitled to earn their keep...........
I wonder how the fans that hate the Tavares deal are gonna enjoy years 6-8 of Nylander's new deal. Four years for Willie and 6-8 for Matty was the better play. Hopefully Tre goes short term with Marner.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
if you want to stay on the payroll, you push the company narrative............
Possibly.

But he goes out of his way to compliment Nylander over Matthews and Marner.

There is no reason, payroll or not to do that.

Saying Nylander is his favourite player certainly wouldn't be trying to stay on the payroll, but not criticizing them I could see

Reactions: Menzinger

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It's always funny listening to Clark talk about Nylander being his favourite player.

On Kyper now saying Nylander has been their best player last 3 playoffs.

Everytime he is on he mentions how much he loves him

The 5'11" Clark is listed at on HockeyDB is EXTREMELY generous.

I tower over him at 6'1". I figure at most he's 5'8" or shorter. The only way he's 5'11" is in skates.

Makes it even more impressive what he was doing against guys like Probert.

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The 5'11" Clark is listed at on HockeyDB is EXTREMELY generous.

I tower over him at 6'1". I figure at most he's 5'8" or shorter. The only way he's 5'11" is in skates.

Makes it even more impressive what he was doing against guys like Probert.
The McSorley fight in the playoffs is probably one of my alltime favourite moments in Leafs history

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The McSorley fight in the playoffs is probably one of my alltime favourite moments in Leafs history

I don't know if I have a favourite Clark moment per se.

I just enjoyed watching him whenever he was on the ice. You always knew something was gonna happen. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

But you knew the next 45 seconds or more were gonna be worth watching.

Reactions: Jojalu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad