GDT: nyicar 7:30pm

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I saw Rod and Gleason going bonkers in OT, over an Islanders line change. Far as I could tell, one Isles player had the puck, and one other player came on while one went off. It was pretty standard. Again, from what I saw. After a whistle the ref went over and they chatted and Rod seemed to wave and say “yeah ok you’re right.”

I’m still wondering what they thought they saw.
They had 4 on the ice with the puck. Rod just gave up the argument there at the end

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Quick was available but youre right, not much else.

Orlov-Chatfield are playing terrific together

Right now more concerned with first pair (burns rmeh and slavin lookin human) and Pesce
I'd be willing to let TDA try Burns spot. Rod wouldn't.

Let Slavin babysit tda again and we hopefully get our pp back.

Quick was f***ing awful last year for the most part and probably only wanted to play where he's playing even if you could somehow predict his, thus far, small sample size Renaissance.
You're right ain't nothing Canes can do just gotta live with .800 sv %. No use thinking of ways to improve the team.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Burns and Slavin are just BAD on the PP. Sorry you don't have to like it. At this point I'm willing to try anything. Even Orlov. as long as you don't play him on his off side, which our scheme will do.

IDK. We need a way to get TDA in for the PP without having him see the ice with Orlov. Burns is looking kind of rough and personality wise he's may favorite guy on the team. He seems to have had a pretty solid drop from last year and is not 1st pair quality right now.

Since benching TDA, the PP is like 1/15, with the only goal being a faceoff set play. and we have given up more SH goals than we have scored. It's pathetic.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Burns and Slavin are just BAD on the PP. Sorry you don't have to like it. At this point I'm willing to try anything. Even Orlov. as long as you don't play him on his off side, which our scheme will do.

Someone said it a few years ago. Slavin looks too "clunky" on the PP. Just doesn't seem to come natural to him, maybe because he's so defensive minded.

Burns can be effective on the PP, but IMO, it's not the PP QB role. He plays more like a forward, is more of a shooter, and he bobbles the puck too often.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd be willing to let TDA try Burns spot. Rod wouldn't.

Let Slavin babysit tda again and we hopefully get our pp back.

You're right ain't nothing Canes can do just gotta live with .800 sv %. No use thinking of ways to improve the team.
I've said a few times now it's not good enough right now. I'm not sure how not living in the past where we can't acquire a different goalie and pointing out Quick was terrible makes me not think the goaltending has been bad.

But I do stand by we're not likely to find a huge upgrade at this moment. Edmonton already found that out while their season was actually spiraling unlike ours.

I think they'll look and make a move if they can find one at some point. But other than maybe reconsidering Halak, I think they roll with what they have right now figuring the goalies will return to better play and punt this to the deadline otherwise.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
At this point I'm even willign to try halak. PK was just bad last night.

We really need to find a way to rotate 77 in on the PP. Or something. Anything. 1/15 and more SHG given away on the PP than we have scored is unacceptable.

Shockingly 5/7 have been our best D pair the last 2 or 3 games. You can't sit chatty but at the same time can't keep 77 off the PP if you want it to succeed, unless you reverse the scheme wnd try Orlov on the other side. And Skjei

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011

We really need to find a way to rotate 77 in on the PP. Or something. Anything. 1/15 and more SHG given away on the PP than we have scored is unacceptable.

Shockingly 5/7 have been our best D pair the last 2 or 3 games. You can't sit chatty but at the same time can't keep 77 off the PP if you want it to succeed, unless you reverse the scheme wnd try Orlov on the other side. And Skjei
It's been 1-20 since he's been out.
And Pesce gets shifts in OT while Orlov doesn't? Got it Rod!

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

At the very least put him there over Slavin. I think Burns’s reputation will get him a lot more leeway on PP1 to figure it out, but at the very least you can just plug Orlov in for Slavin on PP2 and try it out. Can’t be worse… and for better or worse Orlov does seem to have a knack for jumping into the play and making things happen, something our static PP could desperately use more of.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I saw Rod and Gleason going bonkers in OT, over an Islanders line change. Far as I could tell, one Isles player had the puck, and one other player came on while one went off. It was pretty standard. Again, from what I saw. After a whistle the ref went over and they chatted and Rod seemed to wave and say “yeah ok you’re right.”

I’m still wondering what they thought they saw.
I thought the Islander player coming off the bench took a pass before the guy he replaced got fully off the ice which set off the bench. It was close enough that I'm not stunned the refs didn't call it though.
But given how annoying I find the too many men call when the puck simply hits the skates of a player with no attempt to play it I'm irked that they didn't call it in OT.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I've said a few times now it's not good enough right now. I'm not sure how not living in the past where we can't acquire a different goalie and pointing out Quick was terrible makes me not think the goaltending has been bad.

But I do stand by we're not likely to find a huge upgrade at this moment. Edmonton already found that out while their season was actually spiraling unlike ours.

I think they'll look and make a move if they can find one at some point. But other than maybe reconsidering Halak, I think they roll with what they have right now figuring the goalies will return to better play and punt this to the deadline otherwise.
Wasn't Edmonton's issue that the goalie they targeted didn't want to waive to go there? I'd think Carolina should be a much more attractive spot for a goalie.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Goaltending is voodoo and odds are it will swing back the other way for us later in the season. The fact that we are solidly in the playoffs with bottom of the league goaltending is actually encouraging. Come playoff time pretty much every team has the exact same goalie concerns because plenty of great regular season goalies can suck in a playoff series and plenty of normally average/below average goalies can get hot and make a playoff run. A few exceptions with very elite goalies like Vasi but there are so few guys like that and they don't really get moved. I'd be open to exploring a trade at the deadline but I don't think it's necessary right now. And realistically any goalie we trade for could wind up sucking here. Even a highly regarded guy like Askarov

At what point do we cut his minutes to help preserve what wheels he has left?
should've started game 1

Yea we can. Especially guys who haven’t had a history of being very good. Trading for a mediocre goalie who is just slightly improving our product is just an overreaction
I'm not an advocate of trading for Binnington but one thing he has that many others don't is legit playoff success. And not just their cup run, he had another really good stretch in the playoffs coming off a poor regular season. His contract will make it impossible though.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

I'd go back to running 7 D and rotate TDA in with Slavin 5v5 to keep Burns' minutes down and play TDA on the top PP. Worth a shot at this point. But I'm not breaking up Orlov/Chatfield or Skjei/Pesce. Nor am I scratching Slavin or Burns...

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
So the canes having no options to change the goal tending issue this off-season means they won’t do anything at all?

The sky is falling the sky is falling

There is a place between "the sky is falling" and "stay the course" it just requires a little nuance.

People can watch the team and recognize patterns that they fall into. The team is supposed to be a cup contender and as constructed I'm not sure it gives a lot of confidence of making it past a conference final if it can get there. The main reasons being goaltending and the pp.

An aside is the team still isn't doing a great job getting to the interior vs teams that like to clog up the middle and block shots. I'll admit this is a harder problem to fix.

The likely easiest pattern of poor play to fix is goaltending....examples in the past would be McBackup off waivers. They just need a league average guy. Maybe Vegas would send us Logan Thompson for a mid pick.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
We know based on the interest in Halak that they think there's some level of possible need for another goalie. I'm sure they'll keep their ears to the ground. But they aren't likely going to want to make a potentially catastrophic mistake with someone who's overpaid, has huge term, and in the cases of guys like Binnington and Gibson a track record of being pretty bad recently too. If they can shake loose a mediocre goalie that might play better for cheap, they probably will. Maybe they'll explore someone like Hart since the Flyers seem to be willing to listen on most players. But for now, we likely have what we have and will need to hope they return to former levels of play.

Reactions: DaveG

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
A league average goalie is bound to shake loose at some point. It may even be one of the goalies we already have. I do think it’s becoming clear though that kochetkov may not be the starter in waiting we all hoped he would be. That’s not a knock on him either- a solid backup is a great thing to be. You just can’t pencil one in to be more than that

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
There is a place between "the sky is falling" and "stay the course" it just requires a little nuance.

People can watch the team and recognize patterns that they fall into. The team is supposed to be a cup contender and as constructed I'm not sure it gives a lot of confidence of making it past a conference final if it can get there. The main reasons being goaltending and the pp.

An aside is the team still isn't doing a great job getting to the interior vs teams that like to clog up the middle and block shots. I'll admit this is a harder problem to fix.

The likely easiest pattern of poor play to fix is goaltending....examples in the past would be McBackup off waivers. They just need a league average guy. Maybe Vegas would send us Logan Thompson for a mid pick.
there is also a place between what the team successfully completes and its goals.

they have chased anyone and everyone they thought could fix to their problems.

Sometimes teams either arent interested in trading inter-division, are more interested in what another team has to offer, willing to give more term to older players, or have better pieces to offer.

The goalie market has been scant for some time now. So we get guys who can perform league average and then go make our defense stronger to bridge the gap. What else are we supposed to do?

Since DW and Co have taken over the big UFA goalie signings are:

Bob at 7 years 70 mil
Markstrom 6 yrs 36 mil
Grubauer 6 years 35.4 million (after being their exp draft choice)
Kuemper 5 years 26.25 million
Lehner 5 yrs 25 million
Campbell 5 years 25 million
Korpisalo 5 years 20 million
Ullmark 4 years 20 million
Husso 3 years 14.245 million (after the trade)
Mrazek 3 years, 11.25 million

Those are the top 10 goalie contracts for goalies that changed hands during an off-season. What, we missed on maybe 2 of those over 6 off-seasons? And we wanted or offered at least 2 of them. The amount of goalies via trade arent very high either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad