[NYI/WSH] NYI Acquire UFA rights to Halak (4th round pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
The Islanders have three 4th round picks this year, I'm betting one of them goes to WSH.

Discuss.

What do you think about it. I like Halak. Hes not great but hes average at worst and has his great moments. Still a tremendous upgrade from last season. Nabby can be a backup and play his 20 - 25 games.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
What do you think about it. I like Halak. Hes not great but hes average at worst and has his great moments. Still a tremendous upgrade from last season. Nabby can be a backup and play his 20 - 25 games.

If he was our goaltender this season, I think we would have been playoff bound. I agree with your analysis of him though. Not great, but can be great and is at worst average. Also fairly young, only 29 years old to start next season. He'd be a very solid addition.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
I wouldn't expect him to sign here even if they get his negotiation rights. Too many starting opportunities on better franchises.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The Islanders have three 4th round picks this year, I'm betting one of them goes to WSH.

Discuss.

I'd be very happy if they started the offseason by signing Halak.

Invite him to LI. have him tour Barclays Center and meet JT/Okposo, the captain and assistant captain.

JT sold Czuzman(sp) on choosing the isles. Let him work on Halak next.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm very happy to hear this news. Get Halak's rights and start pitching him HAHD. If we can enter the Draft with Halak already in tow, the offseason becomes a lot easier for Snow.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
It's a done deal:

The New York Islanders announced today that goaltender Jaroslav Halak has been acquired from the Washington Capitals in exchange for the team’s fourth-round pick in the 2014 National Hockey League Draft. The Islanders previously acquired the fourth-round pick in a trade with Chicago on February 6, 2014 in exchange for forwards Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Peter Regin.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=717531

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Would be completely good news if they announce a signing within 24 hours. Address our top need well ahead of the draft.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
I think this is a smart move by NYI.

This year behind the amazing St. Louis defence he had a .917 sv% but behind the garbage Washington defence he had a .930 sv%. Guy thrives on lots of shots.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
Has getting negotiating rights up to July 1st worked for anyone?

• Striet NYI - PHA
  • ???

Failures have been:

Hamhuis NAS - PHA
Ehrhoff VAN - NYI

I'm curious as to other examples where it worked or didn't

It worked for PHA on Striet because he was overpaid per year, and on term. Didn't work for Hamhuis because he wanted to go to VAN

Do we really want to overpay and go long on term for a playoff wonder years ago?

I'd rather wait until July 1st, or use two 4th's to move up to the 3rd round.

UPDATE: Well it's now a done deal. Halak for a 4th.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Next year is already looking better. Get him signed!

They need to add a quality backup too. If he gets 5 million I doubt Nabokov is going to take less than what he made next year.

I want Greiss but if it's Halak/Nabby it needs to be pretty much this:

Halak: 50 games
Nabby 30 games

And you need real prospects in the AHL.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

• Striet NYI - PHA
  • ???

Failures have been:

Hamhuis NAS - PHA
Ehrhoff VAN - NYI

It worked for PHA on Striet because he was overpaid per year, and on term. Didn't work for Hamhuis because he wanted to go to VAN

Do we really want to overpay and go long on term for a playoff wonder years ago?

But Ehrhoff from NYI -> BUF was a success.

Let's hope this will be too.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

• Striet NYI - PHA
  • ???

Failures have been:

Hamhuis NAS - PHA
Ehrhoff VAN - NYI

Worked:
- Malone/Roberts - TB
- Ehrhoff - BUF

Didn't work:
- Rolston - TB
- Ehrhoff - NYI
- Hamhuis - PHI and PIT

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Always liked Halak. I think he can be awesome for the Isles. Great trade, even if he doesn't sign, not a huge loss. Low risk HIGH reward trade. Love it ! Also, I had a gentlemen's bet with someone on here that we'd get Halak, do I win that bet now ? Technically he's an Islander !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad