Proposal: NYI/OTT

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007
NYI:
12th Overall Pick
NYI 2019 1st Round Pick

OTT:
4th Overall Pick

I was watching NHL Tonight and they were discussing Ottawa's situation where they owe Colorado either this years first or next years first. Obviously, this is a tough decision for them. Either they give up a guaranteed 4th Overall pick or they run the risk of giving away a stronger one in 2019. The show discussed the current state of Ottawa and how a full tear down and rebuild might be in cards, which obviously makes it likely that Ottawa misses the playoffs again next year. If this isn't true, then blame NHL Tonight.

So I thought this trade might help Ottawa with that. The Islanders give up a first next year, which hedges Ottawa's bet if they give up the next year's first. Hopefully they finish higher the fourth, but if they don't, they still fall back on the Islander's first (which could possibly be a lottery pick if JT leaves) so next year's draft isn't a total disaster. However, in order to do that, they downgrade from 4 to 12 this year.

Islanders do it for one simple reason. With Lou coming in and the talk that JT is resigning, we're hoping to improve so that losing next years first isn't a huge loss. Hopefully, Zadina falls to 4 as the third pick is still in the air. And if Mon still takes Zadina, then Isles still get a better prospect than they would at 12 obviously.

Obviously, Ottawa could always say that they'd rather just stay at 4. Or they could give 4 to Colorado. They have a few options, but I wanted to offer another option and see where the thought was on the value.

Reactions: IODCPiper

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
They can't do that deal until they know whether or not JT is coming back, imo. If he doesn't than that deal is attractive but giving up a top 4 pick for what could essentially be 2 mid 1sts when you're about to lose your franchise D man just seems like a bad avenue to go down.

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007
They can't do that deal until they know whether or not JT is coming back, imo. If he doesn't than that deal is attractive but giving up a top 4 pick for what could essentially be 2 mid 1sts when you're about to lose your franchise D man just seems like a bad avenue to go down.

Definitely a little bit of risk in the aspect for Ottawa since theres no guarantee JT will sign before so Ottawa would have to take that into consideration. But I understand and agree with your point

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
NYI:
12th Overall Pick
NYI 2019 1st Round Pick

OTT:
4th Overall Pick

I was watching NHL Tonight and they were discussing Ottawa's situation where they owe Colorado either this years first or next years first. Obviously, this is a tough decision for them. Either they give up a guaranteed 4th Overall pick or they run the risk of giving away a stronger one in 2019. The show discussed the current state of Ottawa and how a full tear down and rebuild might be in cards, which obviously makes it likely that Ottawa misses the playoffs again next year. If this isn't true, then blame NHL Tonight.

So I thought this trade might help Ottawa with that. The Islanders give up a first next year, which hedges Ottawa's bet if they give up the next year's first. Hopefully they finish higher the fourth, but if they don't, they still fall back on the Islander's first (which could possibly be a lottery pick if JT leaves) so next year's draft isn't a total disaster. However, in order to do that, they downgrade from 4 to 12 this year.

Islanders do it for one simple reason. With Lou coming in and the talk that JT is resigning, we're hoping to improve so that losing next years first isn't a huge loss. Hopefully, Zadina falls to 4 as the third pick is still in the air. And if Mon still takes Zadina, then Isles still get a better prospect than they would at 12 obviously.

Obviously, Ottawa could always say that they'd rather just stay at 4. Or they could give 4 to Colorado. They have a few options, but I wanted to offer another option and see where the thought was on the value.
As an isles fan i approve this message

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Don't see why Ottawa would do this, you think if they were giving up the 4th they would at least ask for 11th and 12th

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
NYI:
12th Overall Pick
NYI 2019 1st Round Pick

OTT:
4th Overall Pick

Isles add a 3rd next year as well

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Rangers beat that by offering TBs first to move up from 9

No they don't lol. 12 + 1st to 15th next year vs 9th + 26th I take the islander package.

Now if the Rangers offered this i'd take it: 9th + 2019 1st (Conditional) + 2019 2nd(Conditional) + 2020 1st (Conditional)

Condition is that the 2019 pick is top 5 protected and if it does get protected we get your 2019 2nd and 2020 1st with no conditions.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
this is actually decent value, especially if a big name slides to 12 ( Dobson? Bouchard? Boqvist?)

worst case scenario they get Veleno/Smith/Farabee and a pick that could easily be top 10 next year

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Don't see why Ottawa would do this, you think if they were giving up the 4th they would at least ask for 11th and 12th

isles probably have a heart chuckle at that

there is a clear tier of guys from about 4-13. isles arent giving up two choices to get 1 they like

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
when is the time limit for Sens to inform Col they are keeping or trading them the pick ? Could they make that decision right on the draft floor prior to heading to the podium ?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
No they don't lol. 12 + 1st to 15th next year vs 9th + 26th I take the islander package.

Now if the Rangers offered this i'd take it: 9th + 2019 1st (Conditional) + 2019 2nd(Conditional) + 2020 1st (Conditional)

Condition is that the 2019 pick is top 5 protected and if it does get protected we get your 2019 2nd and 2020 1st with no conditions.

You're getting a better pick at 9 and the Islanders 2019 is an unknown. They could be a playoff team and win a round and you're looking at a pick in the early 20s.

Rangers are in no position to be trading future firsts.

Between the two extra firsts and the extra second we have enough ammo to move up.

Last edited:

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
when is the time limit for Sens to inform Col they are keeping or trading them the pick ? Could they make that decision right on the draft floor prior to heading to the podium ?
Yeah They have until they are on the clock to make the decision so they could see who gets picked third and make up thier mind based on that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad