NYI keep the 5th overall pick; Sabres now have three 2015 1st-round picks – Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karate Johnson*

It's the Isles, so I'm guessing Halak says thanks but no thanks and tests the market in July unless they way overpay him. I could see him getting overpaid and getting complacent very quickly.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's the Isles, so I'm guessing Halak says thanks but no thanks and tests the market in July unless they way overpay him. I could see him getting overpaid and getting complacent very quickly.

Look at it this way if you are Halak

1. How many #1 goaltending spots are open?

2. How many goalies are fighting for those spots(including potential trades)?

Given those 2 things, if the Islanders give him a reasonable deal he is basically turning down his chance for a good contract and potentially can become a loser in the UFA goaltending games of musical chairs(which is a buyers market). I honestly don't believe their is many teams out their that will invest as much money(both in years and caphit) as the Islanders into a goaltending position so for any UFA goalie the Islander are potentially one of the few winfalls this summer in terms of getting a contract. Halak is also not Ryan Miller who a team might trade their starter to sign him.

Beyond the contract I think the Islanders can give him the opportunity of not having players looking over his back.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
If I'm Halak I wait*.

Whatever money the Isles offer will be there later (but probably not much later) after FA starts. If someone if willing to offer big money I would want to see the offer.

* That said, if the Isles offer him stupid money now, you probably take it.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Look at it this way if you are Halak

1. How many #1 goaltending spots are open?

2. How many goalies are fighting for those spots(including potential trades)?

Given those 2 things, if the Islanders give him a reasonable deal he is basically turning down his chance for a good contract and potentially can become a loser in the UFA goaltending games of musical chairs(which is a buyers market). I honestly don't believe their is many teams out their that will invest as much money(both in years and caphit) as the Islanders into a goaltending position so for any UFA goalie the Islander are potentially one of the few winfalls this summer in terms of getting a contract. Halak is also not Ryan Miller who a team might trade their starter to sign him.

Beyond the contract I think the Islanders can give him the opportunity of not having players looking over his back.

I agree with this school of thought as well. If I'm a GM, I would guess that Hiller, Miller and Elliot would be ahead of him. There's also a few young backups out there (Stalock, C Johnson, Hutton, and Greiss) that posted good numbers but are stuck behind a #1 elsewhere that might be worth a shot.

He wasn't too happy doing a 50/50 in StL so I don't see why he wouldn't jump on it. Not sure how many other teams are out there what have playoff potential and no great prospects in the wings.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If I'm Halak I wait*.

Whatever money the Isles offer will be there later (but probably not much later) after FA starts. If someone if willing to offer big money I would want to see the offer.

* That said, if the Isles offer him stupid money now, you probably take it.

So if he waits then the Islanders either

1. try trade for a goalie at the draft(Niemi, Reimer, etc)
2. on July 1 offer the same deal to Hiller

Come July 2nd Halak could have much worse options if that Islanders slot is gone.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Ive expected Reimer to end up on the isle. Its in the East so he gets to play Tor, I think he's pissed and wants that. He gets JT and probably the 5th pick this season, a bunch of promising D prospects, and the starting position in net for the foreseeable future. If Halak plays games, I'd bet on a big contract headed his way.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ive expected Reimer to end up on the isle. Its in the East so he gets to play Tor, I think he's pissed and wants that. He gets JT and probably the 5th pick this season, a bunch of promising D prospects, and the starting position in net for the foreseeable future. If Halak plays games, I'd bet on a big contract headed his way.

I am not the biggest fan of trading for for Reimer since it's a very risky move to put your hopes on him in a 1a/1b situation. That being said one advantage to Reimer over another goalie who will probably cost alot on the UFA market would be his contract will be much cheaper leaving the team to spend 3-3.5M elsewhere.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm ready to put this to bed in my mind.

Snow knows he got ****ing fleeced on the Vanek trade; there's no way he adds to the sting of it by passing on a top five selection.

Now we can only hope they're worse next year or somehow win next year's lottery.

ZeroPT*

I'm with you.

At this point, I really dont care which pick we get

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I'm ready to put this to bed in my mind.

Snow knows he got ****ing fleeced on the Vanek trade; there's no way he adds to the sting of it by passing on a top five selection.

Now we can only hope they're worse next year or somehow win next year's lottery.

it has been beaten to death at least a dozen times. as a fan of both Isles and Sabres, i just want it to be over with.

Snow gambled and lost. the only way i see it becoming a decent deal for the Isles, is if they manage to sign Vanek in the summer. he cites that he really liked his time on the Isles, and that is why he went back. chances are slim, i agree, but it could happen. Snow is desperate, IMO, and i can see him overpaying (which he is normally reluctant to do), to save face, and his job.

going to be very interesting to see how this plays out...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
No chance he re-signs with the Isles. I can see the Habs though. First time going past round 1 since 2007 for him. I hope they beat NY and we see Danny boy and Vanek in a cup finals. Vanek has more career playoff goal then all of The Blues forwards combined save for washed up Morrow and Derek Roy :lol::lol: Vanek was **** on constantly when he was here and he goes to not even a great team but just a very good one and he helps them to a conference final.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I hope they defer so we can cheer for the Isles to tank next year, and root for the Sabres to win as many as possible.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The tank is indeed not over. Isles (IF they give us the 2015) need to finish last, and Sabres 2nd to last, or vice-versa. Would be nice if St. Louis tanks as well for 3rd worst.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Sabres should finish last in the league 5 years in a row and suddenly never lose again :0

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Dying for some new information on this topic. All quiet on the western front, huh?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Dying for some new information on this topic. All quiet on the western front, huh?

I think it will be like the Miller not signing in St. Louis news: we won't be surprised (when Snow gives us the 2015 pick).

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The team's obviously going to suck, but what if they surprise and finish outside the top-3? Some posters will be hella bent if that happens, but if the Isles are free falling to a top-3 pick perhaps those posters will cheer for wins if the team does in fact over achieve next year.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The team's obviously going to suck, but what if they surprise and finish outside the top-3? Some posters will be hella bent if that happens, but if the Isles are free falling to a top-3 pick perhaps those posters will cheer for wins if the team does in fact over achieve next year.

I want us to tank hard but top 3 isn't really the hard goal. So long as they're drafting #5 or so, I'm happy about things.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Sabre will finish bottom three. I am hoping the isles regress from this year and St.Louis gives Jake Allen the reigns and he ends up playing as poor as he did in the AHL playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad