Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Islanders sign Ryan Strome (2 years, $2.5M AAV)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

2x2.5 is not bad. He took a step back last season, but if he rebounds, that's a nice bridge deal.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Seems like a generous contract. Caught a few Isles games last year and he clearly has hands. Never impressed me when he played the Canucks but that was like once a year; he seemed to play smaller than his actual size

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Woof, just checked his stats, did he ever. What's the deal there? 2 years doesn't tell me they think there's much there worth investing in.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Woof, just checked his stats, did he ever. What's the deal there? 2 years doesn't tell me they think there's much there worth investing in.

Standard 2-year bridge deal as a "prove you deserve a long-term deal worth a lot of money"

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey

He's a center, and has to play center. Due to the roster last season, they had him playing out of position and he suffered for it. In July, Snow came out and said (to the effect of) "We're not worried about Strome, but we realize that he's a center and that's where he flourishes, so that's where he'll play from now on".

Capuano was obsessed with Brock Nelson being the big center of that line, with Strome on the wing, but they both do much better with the situation reversed. How our "wonderful" coach couldn't figure that out in 80 games, I have NO idea. The fans saw it immediately.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Strome's biggest strength is that he has a lot of confidence in himself and he's showing it with this contract. He lost some of that confidence last year, but if it comes back, watch out NHL.

I'm interested to see how much he plays at C and RW this year. I think he should be converted to a RW full time, while others believe he should go back to being a C since that's his natural position. I hope he can just play either one and play with that swagger he brought two years ago.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Hmm. I wonder if the 2 year term is because of expansion.

Press reported in Nov and after the playoffs, that the isles received and rebuffed trade offers for Strome.. They have no interest in dumping him at 23 because of inconsistency.

This is a show me contract
If Strome wants the long term, big $ then he needs to show he is worth it.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Press reported in Nov and after the playoffs, that the isles received and rebuffed trade offers for Strome.. They have no interest in dumping him at 23 because of inconsistency.

This is a show me contract
If Strome wants the long term, big $ then he needs to show he is worth it.

Right - I get that. I was just wondering if expansion is an option if this "show me" opportunity doesn't work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad