Claimed off Waivers: [NYI] Islanders claim D Mike Reilly off waivers from the Panthers

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
as a waver pickup he is not bad at all. You can't count on him to run your PP or defend but as a 6/7 he is just fine with a good game here and there.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Incoming 7 year extension.

Edit, Someone beat me to the joke. That aside this is a good stop gap pickup for NYIs.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I have conspiracy theory head goin on right now. How convenient is it that Reilly was waived just when the Isles are down 2 dmen?

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I have conspiracy theory head goin on right now. How convenient is it that Reilly was waived just when the Isles are down 2 dmen?
What’s your theory?

I think it’s just that Ek and Montour came back fairly quickly and we now have 8 defensemen, Reilly was like the 10th guy with two much better guys and just an empty space ahead of him. We also my have needed an extra spot for Kane, but obviously that’s clear speculation atm.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

Waiver claims are pretty rare because if GMs are doing due diligence, then the team considering waiving a player is first calling around and trying to get some small asset like a late pick for that player … and the player only hits waivers if no team is willing to even give a paltry asset to assure they get the player rather than risk another team making the claim.

So a player waived like this most commonly only gets claimed if a team has a situation change between when they declined or were uninterested in a trade, to when the player was actually on waivers and is suddenly more desirable than they were even 24 hours earlier. Like suffering two injuries that night. Like the Islanders did.

Unless your conspiracy theory involves time travel or the Sens being given marching orders to injure Isles defensemen, this is just plain old everyday timing. They suffered injuries the exact night that a player who nobody was interested in was available and could step in for one of the injured players. When the Panthers waived him, the Islanders did not yet have a need.

Reactions: The Real JT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad