NY Times: In Canada, the Cost of Youth Hockey Benches the Next Generation

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No question it is getting harder and harder.

In Canada, the Cost of Youth Hockey Benches the Next Generation

“If I were starting out to play hockey now, my parents wouldn’t have been able to afford to put me in the sport, that’s just the reality of it,” said Joe Thornton, a 23-year N.H.L. veteran who grew up in St. Thomas, Ontario.

“It’s a pricey sport to get into, that’s for sure. I don’t know how my parents did it but I always had new skates every year. We had wood sticks and those would cost $12. Now it’s $100 for a composite stick. It’s just going up,” Thornton said.

Devils forward Wayne Simmonds also knows firsthand how expensive minor hockey can be.

The 31-year-old grew up in Scarborough, a section of Toronto where the median household income was roughly 63,000 Canadian dollars (about $48,000) in 2015, according to city data. His family organized barbecues, among other efforts, to help pay for his hockey dreams.

“The cost is extremely high and it’s not really manageable for most working-class families to afford to put their kids in hockey,” he said. “Never mind if they had two kids or three kids that wanted to play the sport.”

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
There's plenty of affordable ways to get a kid equipment to play hockey. Having worked at a chain hockey store, there are plenty of $100 sticks and $200 skates and relatively much cheaper options. The issue is that vain hockey parents buy the first expensive thing that comes into eyesight, which are usually the $900 skates and $250 sticks. I can't tell you how many kids under the age of 10 who throw a fit when their parents didn't buy them a ridiculously priced item. Their kid cannot even elevate the puck but they're obsessing over getting the same flex and curve as Kovalev. Get rid of that mentality in the parents or else it will just get worse.

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
Like it was cheap back in the 90s?
There's plenty of affordable ways to get a kid equipment to play hockey. Having worked at a chain hockey store, there are plenty of $100 sticks and $200 skates and relatively much cheaper options. The issue is that vain hockey parents buy the first expensive thing that comes into eyesight, which are usually the $900 skates and $250 sticks. I can't tell you how many kids under the age of 10 who throw a fit when their parents didn't buy them a ridiculously priced item. Their kid cannot even elevate the puck but they're obsessing over getting the same flex and curve as Kovalev. Get rid of that mentality in the parents or else it will just get worse.

100% agree with this. Little kids don't shoot the puck 90mph, they don't need $260 shoulder pads and $300 skates. Hell I would buy half the stuff used as they're just going to outgrow it in a year or two. When I turned 16 if I wanted to play I had to buy my own equipment, work a job saving my own money and upgrading my stuff on my own as I could afford it. Same way I bought my first car- my own money. Too many parents spoil their kids these days.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Like it was cheap back in the 90s?

100% agree with this. Little kids don't shoot the puck 90mph, they don't need $260 shoulder pads and $300 skates. Hell I would buy half the stuff used as they're just going to outgrow it in a year or two. When I turned 16 if I wanted to play I had to buy my own equipment, work a job saving my own money and upgrading my stuff on my own as I could afford it. Same way I bought my first car- my own money. Too many parents spoil their kids these days.

The parents spoil the kids and then the kids grow up to think that they won't be able to play hockey without the most expensive thing on the rack.

I always told parents the only thing they should be buying for their kids that's top of the line, brand new is a helmet. Other than that, the kid will be growing too much to use it for very long anyways or isn't good enough to actually have a P88 curve affect how they play.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm the father of 3 playing minor hockey.

The problem isn't hockey itself. You can buy used equipment, buy cheaper sticks, there are options that reduce hockey fees. The problem isn't that hockey is too expensive.

The problem is the competitiveness. Your child shows a tiny bit of promise - so maybe you need to enroll them in powerskating. Maybe expensive new skates, or expensive stick will help. What about spring hockey. Throw in some private lessons. Now here comes the team asking for a cash call for extra ice time. Maybe you start going to out of town tournaments. What about a summer hockey camp? Then you start looking at hockey academies that will have them on the ice every day.

If you just want your kid out on the ice to learn the value of hard work and teamwork then it's manageable on a middle to upper class income (if you're of a lwoer class income then even that can be a struggle, but it's doable). But forget even dreams of NHL - if you want your kid to be playing for the rep team it does get crazy expensive.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The problem is the competitiveness. Your child shows a tiny bit of promise - so maybe you need to enroll them in powerskating. Maybe expensive new skates, or expensive stick will help. What about spring hockey. Throw in some private lessons. Now here comes the team asking for a cash call for extra ice time. Maybe you start going to out of town tournaments. What about a summer hockey camp? Then you start looking at hockey academies that will have them on the ice every day.

The major costs aren't the equipment, it's the registration, tournament fees and most especially the hockey academies and lessons.

My view... if the child is truly talented enough to take a run at the pros (or at least a scholarship), then the thousands of dollars on hockey academies, schools, etc. isn't going to make a heck of a difference. I think those schools prey on the "what if" mind set of parents and kids... "what if I'm close." I think that in reality, the parents will spend tens of thousands of dollars and the kid still won't get a sniff of the big prize.

I think lessons are important at a very early age... 12 and under. Then they'll have several seasons to develop and either be a prospect, or one of several thousand kids whose parents line the pockets of every pop-up academy and school looking to capitalize.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Pretty much all North American sports other than football are moving to expensive travel leagues, academies, etc if your kid wants to play competitively past high school age. Hockey equipment is pretty cheap in comparison. Not sure how it gets solved.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Pretty much all North American sports other than football are moving to expensive travel leagues, academies, etc if your kid wants to play competitively past high school age. Hockey equipment is pretty cheap in comparison. Not sure how it gets solved.
Good point. I was going to ask about other sports. To me, football is the only sport that a kid from a single mom family or lower middle class family has a chance of progressing to the highest level in (and that's the one team sport I wouldn't let my kid play... hockey is dangerous enough).

Soccer seems inexpensive, but to progress to the scholarship level, don't you need to spend thousands on lessons? Same with golf, and you may have to relocate to get in enough golf to have a sniff at a pro tour. Tennis has always been infamous regarding how expensive it is to become upper tier. What about baseball? I'm unaware of that one.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Good point. I was going to ask about other sports. To me, football is the only sport that a kid from a single mom family or lower middle class family has a chance of progressing to the highest level in (and that's the one team sport I wouldn't let my kid play... hockey is dangerous enough).

Soccer seems inexpensive, but to progress to the scholarship level, don't you need to spend thousands on lessons? Same with golf, and you may have to relocate to get in enough golf to have a sniff at a pro tour. Tennis has always been infamous regarding how expensive it is to become upper tier. What about baseball? I'm unaware of that one.
Baseball has expensive schools/camps and travel leagues as well.

Even basketball has travel leagues now that are arguably more important than high school basketball in being able to showcase your talent. But I think it's easier for promising players to get financial help/reduced costs than in most other sports.

Reactions: 17 others

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
The major costs aren't the equipment, it's the registration, tournament fees and most especially the hockey academies and lessons.

My view... if the child is truly talented enough to take a run at the pros (or at least a scholarship), then the thousands of dollars on hockey academies, schools, etc. isn't going to make a heck of a difference. I think those schools prey on the "what if" mind set of parents and kids... "what if I'm close." I think that in reality, the parents will spend tens of thousands of dollars and the kid still won't get a sniff of the big prize.

I think lessons are important at a very early age... 12 and under. Then they'll have several seasons to develop and either be a prospect, or one of several thousand kids whose parents line the pockets of every pop-up academy and school looking to capitalize.

I think power skating lessons after I played my first year of hockey at age 7 did amazing things for me. To my knowledge though, I only ever participated in a sweat camp before tryouts and a few summer hockey leagues for fun until I was 15. At that point they put me in a program called Edge of Excellence which did off ice and on ice training focusing on skating technique. I came out of that two week camp in great shape and had improved my skating and puck handling, and then I got sick as a dog during AAA tryouts for the second year straight and got cut. It killed me :(

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
Youth sports is a business. House league... Remember that? I did not travel till I was 12, I played house league. My kids, played travel Hockey and Lacrosse. I am middle class which means I was broke. I have a customer who runs Baseball scouting showcases, $2500 a weekend. Kids going outside and playing on their own... LOL. Will there be a correction? This is our new normal.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think power skating lessons after I played my first year of hockey at age 7 did amazing things for me. To my knowledge though, I only ever participated in a sweat camp before tryouts and a few summer hockey leagues for fun until I was 15. At that point they put me in a program called Edge of Excellence which did off ice and on ice training focusing on skating technique. I came out of that two week camp in great shape and had improved my skating and puck handling, and then I got sick as a dog during AAA tryouts for the second year straight and got cut. It killed me :(
The research I've done mentions that the most important years of development for a hockey player is between the ages of 9 and 12. That's not to say that the ages after that aren't important, but this is the stage where parents may want to concentrate their dollars on private skating and development lessons.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Youth sports is a business. House league... Remember that? I did not travel till I was 12, I played house league. My kids, played travel Hockey and Lacrosse. I am middle class which means I was broke. I have a customer who runs Baseball scouting showcases, $2500 a weekend. Kids going outside and playing on their own... LOL. Will there be a correction? This is our new normal.
This! This! This!

I think there is no other way. Eventually, the well will run dry (or parents will realize that the money they spend isn't likely going to result in the end goal).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Yep, soccer has been trending that way for decades now. I was part of the last generation in the US to really have a shot at a scholarship or pro career in the sport without having to go through one of the IMG type academies without just flat out being an exceptional talent. And even still I was doing 1 or 2 skills camps each summer from age 8 up. But the skills camps and travel teams (which at the time weren't too bad) are nothing cost wise compared to some of these academies which cost more per year than you could hope to make a season in minor pro soccer. Hell IMG costs more than the damn MLS league minimum per year.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I grew up with cheap parents when I was playing hockey in elementary, middle and high school. While all the other kids had the new Easton Synergys that came out, or that new Bauer Vapor XXX Lite, I was ‘stuck’ with sticks like (remember these??) Mission M-1, Koho Revolution, or the TPS response-line (greatest sticks ever made). And they all worked fine for me!

it’s been touched upon on this thread, but it’s not the stick or the skate that makes the player, but the player themselves. I can’t see spending 800 dollar CCM skates when you can literally buy another model of CCM for 150 bucks.

LOL seriously. At my local shop the 'SALE" sticks are around 180. Most sticks go for around 225-275.

That’s why I’m happy places like Facebook Marketplace and SidelineSwap exist.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I think its like this with everything now, and of course it is more pronounced with the cost of hockey equipment.

When I played little league and high school base ball- my only expenditure was for a $30 glove. They provided the bats and helmets.

This past week my daughter tried out for the softball team and made it. Now the glove is $100+, they require you to bring your own bat ($700 are you f***ing kidding me?) helmet ($200), face mask ($30) and you have to buy the uniforms too.

Yet every asshole can buy a high resolution screen from China that takes up half the wall and makes the movie theatre look like dogshit for $300.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Why aren't kids using the basic $10 wooden sticks?

I agree hockey at the competitive level is getting to expensive for most families...but there is no reason at all for any kid playing below the junior level to use anything but plain wooden sticks.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does this really pertain to only Canada? Is it that much cheaper to play minor hockey in the US or Europe?
Europe absolutely. Locally supported sporting academies, more government support (look at tax-rates in the Nordic countries). Much more willingness and acceptance to use handy-me down equipment that is part of the culture.

Culture around high-end hockey in the GTA is insane. I've heard quotes that McDavid and Marner's youth development cost between 250k and 500k. From, private skills coach at a young age, AAA hockey, going to completely sports-focused academies, summer hockey, etc. That's before equipment and the chase to use the best. Look, it clearly paid off for Mitch and Connor. But, there are a lot of kids who it won't and gives false elusions. It also creates a predatory environment of AAA teams, private sports academies (and not respected well-established private schools) and private skills coaches misleading completely delusional parents with absurd expectations being placed on kids.

Reactions: Rob

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Europe absolutely. Locally supported sporting academies, more government support (look at tax-rates in the Nordic countries). Much more willingness and acceptance to use handy-me down equipment that is part of the culture.

Culture around high-end hockey in the GTA is insane. I've heard quotes that McDavid and Marner's youth development cost between 250k and 500k. From, private skills coach at a young age, AAA hockey, going to completely sports-focused academies, summer hockey, etc. That's before equipment and the chase to use the best. Look, it clearly paid off for Mitch and Connor. But, there are a lot of kids who it won't and gives false elusions. It also creates a predatory environment of AAA teams, private sports academies (and not respected well-established private schools) and private skills coaches misleading completely delusional parents with absurd expectations being placed on kids.

But what about the US?

And not to get political, but the high taxes in Europe clearly seem to benefit its citizens a heck of a lot more than here in Canada, where we have high taxes and STILL seem to be getting gouged!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
But what about the US?

And not to get political, but the high taxes in Europe clearly seem to benefit its citizens a heck of a lot more than here in Canada, where we have high taxes and STILL seem to be getting gouged!
Travel hockey in the United States is insanely expensive, and battles the same issues as Canada. Maybe even larger due to the travel budget. Although, there are more sports-related scholarships to prep-schools and community involvement on things like Minnesota high school hockey.

I'm not sure covering more sports-related things is really a use of taxes. And, its not just taxes in certain European countries, its nationalization of certain industries and sovereign wealth funds (for example, Canada could never successfully replicate Norway's model).

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
When I saw this post, I thought of soccer and these kinds of things came to mind:

Yep, soccer has been trending that way for decades now. I was part of the last generation in the US to really have a shot at a scholarship or pro career in the sport without having to go through one of the IMG type academies without just flat out being an exceptional talent. And even still I was doing 1 or 2 skills camps each summer from age 8 up. But the skills camps and travel teams (which at the time weren't too bad) are nothing cost wise compared to some of these academies which cost more per year than you could hope to make a season in minor pro soccer. Hell IMG costs more than the damn MLS league minimum per year.
Soccer - the sport considered the world's sport, the sport that even people who are dirt-poor in dirt-poor countries can play - is nutty expensive in the U.S. for the reasons cited above. It's all about traveling teams, elite teams, private lessons, academies, camps, and on and on. It's not just U18 or U16, either; it's U12, U10, even U8. Not doing any of that? Pfft, screw off, good luck at the public high school with the rest of the plebians.

And then the U.S. Soccer can't figure out how it hasn't created a team capable of consistently beating teams 1/10th, 1/20th, 1/50th, 1/100th the population of the U.S. Probably because it's engineered and encouraged a system that prices out a huge swath of the population up front, meaning there's a huge swath of potential talent that's never getting attracted. (And no one here has even scratched the surface of hyper-competitive adults masquerading as coaches thinking every game is win-or-die and their job is to accumulate championships instead of develop talent for the next level.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad