GDT: NXT TAKEOVER: DALLAS -- April 1, 2016 (10 PM ET) live on the WWE Network

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yo, that pop when he grabs the rope.

I had Twitter open, so I was spoiled. I was intending not to be, but the buzz was too much. Typically, I don't mind about being spoiled, I find I can still enjoy a match strictly on the match itself and not the result, and NXT is even better for that.

I popped at home when he grabbed the ropes. The match was just booked to perfection IMO. I think it was better than his match with AJ IMO.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I popped at home when he grabbed the ropes. The match was just booked to perfection IMO. I think it was better than his match with AJ IMO.
I dunno. I really really love the Styles match. Gonna have to give them both a re-watch to see. Both top tier all the same. But I do like how they're both two halves of the same story for Nakamura really.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I dunno. I really really love the Styles match. Gonna have to give them both a re-watch to see. Both top tier all the same. But I do like how they're both two halves of the same story for Nakamura really.

Didn't mean to put down the AJ match because it is legit amazing as well. Agreed both are top-tier.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i was too invested on this show.
it didnt disappoint.bailey :( hope they just dont rush her to the main roster, but hard to find an opponent who can beat asuka.
zayn stealing the show with nakamura, one of the best matches of the year for sure.
i was sure balor was gonna lose this one. im okay with this.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
People forget just how incredible Takeover: R-Evolution was in Dec. 2014. That was so good it rocked the WWE locker room right before TLC a few days later, which was then predictably forgettable.

I saw one person griping about the show last night on a different site....said they thought no one sold in the tag match (I guess he/she missed the 7 minute heat sequence on Gable), didn't like Aries-Corbin (defendable) and gave up on Nakamura-Zayn after 3 minutes (which is just hilarious).

I like seeing different opinions so long as it isn't mindless trolling. But whew, that's something else.

My annual annoyance with wrestling media is happening already. Brandon Stroud writes a whole column on the show and doesn't even mention Revival, as if it was some AA squash. And I'm sure he and the other usual suspects will love Mania top to bottom no matter what, just like last year when the show was a near total abomination. I don't mean to single out Stroud, because there's plenty left for the Cheap Heat podcast guys as well... (/endrant)

p.s. I can't get Zayn-Nakamura off my mind and as a stand alone match it is one of the best I ever seen. Lack of a build hurts because that makes it just a match between ships passing in the night. It's like the difference between a classic game between the Bruins and Canadiens and the Bruins vs Lightning, if you catch my drift.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I read this thread and I feel like the Zayn match got overhyped in my head from all the posts as I just watched it earlier. It was fantastic no doubt but I felt like some people were making it it to be the best of all time. I did love it though.

I actually enjoyed the tag team title match more. I thought that match was amazing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
People forget just how incredible Takeover: R-Evolution was in Dec. 2014. That was so good it rocked the WWE locker room right before TLC a few days later, which was then predictably forgettable.

I saw one person griping about the show last night on a different site....said they thought no one sold in the tag match (I guess he/she missed the 7 minute heat sequence on Gable), didn't like Aries-Corbin (defendable) and gave up on Nakamura-Zayn after 3 minutes (which is just hilarious).

I like seeing different opinions so long as it isn't mindless trolling. But whew, that's something else.

My annual annoyance with wrestling media is happening already. Brandon Stroud writes a whole column on the show and doesn't even mention Revival, as if it was some AA squash. And I'm sure he and the other usual suspects will love Mania top to bottom no matter what, just like last year when the show was a near total abomination. I don't mean to single out Stroud, because there's plenty left for the Cheap Heat podcast guys as well... (/endrant)

p.s. I can't get Zayn-Nakamura off my mind and as a stand alone match it is one of the best I ever seen. Lack of a build hurts because that makes it just a match between ships passing in the night. It's like the difference between a classic game between the Bruins and Canadiens and the Bruins vs Lightning, if you catch my drift.

Man that guy is out of touch. The only point I can see is not being satisfied with Corbin/Aries. That match was the only negative on the card.

Tag match really was great, but it just got lost in the shuffle of what came later so it is understandable why people forget it.

I watched Sami/Nakamura again. I can't get enough of this match. Also I've become a full on Joe mark. What an awesome monster he is.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Having not yet seen the match, the lack of build probably sucks, but I consider that everyone's giving it 5-stars regardless. I'm not sure that really even needed a build up, everyone seemed to understand that dream match, which generally means its two guys that have never been in the ring, and it is unlikely they will again any time soon. Zayn now heading off to the main roster, but deserves that world class champion-level opponent before leaving NXT, while Nakamura, in his debut, now sticks around NXT for a while, I'm going to assume his payoff will culminate in Brooklyn. I think what they did in this scenario works, where neither guy sees the other until they're literally in the arena. What were they going to do otherwise to make it feel organic?

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Having not yet seen the match, the lack of build probably sucks, but I consider that everyone's giving it 5-stars regardless. I'm not sure that really even needed a build up, everyone seemed to understand that dream match, which generally means its two guys that have never been in the ring, and it is unlikely they will again any time soon. Zayn now heading off to the main roster, while Nakamura sticks around NXT for a while, I'm going to assume his payoff will culminate in Brooklyn. I think what they did in this scenario works, where neither guy sees the other until they're literally in the arena. What were they going to do otherwise to make it feel organic?

The build is basically just Nakamura's debut with a dash of what seems like Sami's last NXT match ever sprinkled in. Once the match gets going the story is about what is happening in the ring.

It worked because it was Nakamura. Trying to do this with most other guys. Even if the match was good wouldn't of had the same effect.

Also a story of Sami respecting Nakamura as a star but NXT is his house and he won't be a footnote in his debut.

Match delivered on that as while we are all going nuts for Nakamura. Sami was really excellent in this match.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The build is basically just Nakamura's debut with a dash of what seems like Sami's last NXT match ever sprinkled in. Once the match gets going the story is about what is happening in the ring.

It worked because it was Nakamura. Trying to do this with most other guys. Even if the match was good wouldn't of had the same effect.

That's what I'm going for. I didn't need a contract signing, or a staredown, or really anything else. The climate for the match was already provided.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
that zayn/Nakamura match was awesome. back and forth maybe match of the year. probably better than WM 32 already and it hasnt even begun yet

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Just finishing watching Takeover...that was just fun to watch. Still enjoyed it even though I knew who won the matches.

Aries-Corbin was meh but Aries is capable of some entertaining matches.
Joe-Balor was great aside from the momentum-killing checkups on Joe's eye.
Nakamura is fantastic in the ring and such a big presence. The crowd ate that match up.
Asuka was brilliant as well.
The tag match was slow starting out but it was solid.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
so there was a bobby roode apperance in the stands. is he going to leave tna and join wwe? maybe go to nxt first.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Just finished watching it, and hot diggity.... what a fantastic show.

Agreed on all points in terms of match reviews. Aries/Corbin was the low point,but pretty good for a low point.

I'm a bit disappointed Finn didn't drop the belt. Was hoping it would signal his jump to the main roster, but instead I have a feeling we're gonna see Samoa Joe on Monday night.

Call me crazy as well, but I think we see Bayley on Raw Monday night. With a (likely) new champ in Sasha, it's an opportune time to bring her on board. There isn't much depth for women on the main roster.

Overall though, what a heck of a show. NXT getting it done as usual.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Woman who wear their underwear over their trunks tend to scare people easily.

Maybe it is just me...
But I found that really confusing...
And it continues to distract me.
:laugh:

Luckily...
It did not take away from a great match.
It was especially impressive...
Since those two more than held their own...
Even though they had to immediately follow a match of the year candidate.
:clap:

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's what I'm going for. I didn't need a contract signing, or a staredown, or really anything else. The climate for the match was already provided.

And I think it worked perfectly, and Sami started the match with the perfect pace to let Nakamura get his **** in and let the crowd eat it up. He than does something that sets the match into overdrive from there.

Thinking about Joe/Finn. Obviously the stoppages were real because that was a vicious cut, but if you were to book the match with stoppages, cut two of them out and it would of helped the match. As people said both guys upped the intensity because of it and went into pure savage mode.

I do wonder if the finish was an audible to end it quicker because of the cut.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Having seen the whole card now, it took me roughly 4 hours because I kept rewinding :laugh:

-American Alpha has all the tools. Storyline wise, not sure right now who they drop the titles to, but it's still strange seeing effective tag teams operate and be over.

-Wasn't a big fan of the Corbin/Aries match, they make it look like Aries got a fluke win when Corbin was getting the better of him. Maybe is Corbin wins a #1 contenders re-match.

-Zayn/Nakamura almost didn't feel real. It is truly surreal to see someone who many consider the best wrestler in the world on a stage like this. I lost count of how many times I had to rewind to see some of Nakamura's moves. I marked for the flip into the armbar. I had to stop to dissect just how exactly the human anatomy bends in a way so that one can execute a Kinsasha. Kick to the head to block the DDT was insane. That's without stating all the theatrics. This is news to no one, but that was a match unlike I've ever seen in WWE and he is a person who is unlike anyone on any roster. I bet Vince's heart was in his mouth when he saw Nakamura lick his own blood.

-As a mark, I was completely heartbroken when Bayley's arm hit the mat and she went to sleep, I even wished her sweet dreams. The crowd was stunned, which is awesome, but the more I thought about it, the more I don't think the match could have ended any other way. Re-match could main event the next Takeover. Bayley and Asuka are so far ahead the rest of the other girls, though. I'm still cool on Bayley rushing up to the main roster, I bet she sticks around NXT through the summer. Another incredible match considering what they had to follow up. Please give me Sasha vs. Asuka one day.

-Bobby Roode looked awfully pissed off.

-Finn bringing out the chainsaw was absolutely amazing. While the stoppages sucked, I think they made the match work, especially when it finally had better flow, to the point where I think I'd say it was better than the match in London. Finn seemed to be selling his demon side more than he had in the past, but it's another strange ending. I figured after renaming Bloody Sunday, that it would be used. Finn kicks out of the muscle buster and then gets what amounts to a roll-up pin after the Coup de Grace was countered. It was an interesting way to end, but strange. Joe seemed well enough that he didn't need an audible. I'm fine with Finn Balor not debuting with Bullet Club and coming out later, I standby that he shouldn't be called up unless he's being put directly into the title picture, although someone can sell me on a Bullet Club IC Title-Tag Title run. I'm guessing Corbin gets fed to Finn Balor next, there still needs to be a build up this summer for someone to take the belt off of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad