NWHL's Kendall Coyne Skates with the Big Boys

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Some well deserved recognition, both for Kendall and for women's hockey ...

And the back story from SB Nation's The Ice Garden blog ...
Kendall Coyne Schofield speeds through NHL Skills Competition
Olympian and NWHL player begins NHL Skills Competition with big numbers

By Leighannstrollo Jan 25, 2019, 10:52pm ES

Minnesota Whitecaps forward and USA gold medalist Kendall Coyne Schofield made history tonight, as the first female to ever compete in the NHL All-Star Skills competition. She replaced Colorado Avalanche All-Star Nathan MacKinnon in the Bridgestone NHL Fastest Skater™ event

Going first, Coyne Schofield put up a time of 14.346 seconds around the rink in one shot, only a day after putting up 14.226 seconds in practice. ...

Friday afternoon, the NHL announced she would take Colorado Avalanche All-Star Nathan MacKinnon’s place after he dropped out because of an injured foot. It turns out that he advocated for Coyne Schofield to take his place. ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Coyne Schofield’s NHL All-Star Skills participation makes big statement
By Sean Leahy
Jan 26, 2019, 2:05 AM EST

SAN JOSE — It was Kendall Coyne Schofield’s test loop on Thursday that got the idea rolling.

The U.S. women’s national team player was in San Jose, along teammate Brianna Decker, and Rebecca Johnston and Renata Fast of Canada, to help demonstrate the NHL All-Star Skills events. On Thursday she did a test lap of the Fastest Skater and clocked in at 14.226 seconds. With Colorado Avalanche forward Nathan MacKinnon pulling out of the weekend due to a sore foot, an idea was hatched. ...

Full of nervous energy and adrenaline, Coyne Schofield went first and as the SAP Center crowd showered her with U-S-A! chants she took over and blazed to a time of 14.346, finishing ahead of Clayton Keller (14.526) of the Arizona Coyotes.

“Obviously, I was a little nervous, but I knew it was a moment that was going to break a lot of barriers and a moment that would change the perception of our game and show support to our game,” Coyne Schofield said. “It was so exciting.”

When she finished, she received a well-earned standing ovation. The Olympic gold medalist and five-time World Champion helped opened a door that could see the NHL include women in the actual All-Star Skills events in the future.

“I think today the NHL made that statement and I was fortunate enough to be a part of a lot of people pushing for it, a lot of hard conversations that have been had,” she said “I’m thankful for the opportunity and I think it went pretty well.” ...

Read more at:
Coyne Schofield’s NHL All-Star Skills participation makes big statement

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
At the NWHL skills comp, she finished in 13.9. Believe that's flat. If so, would've finished 4th at the NHL one. Unreal.
Here's a portion of Kendall's circuit in Nashville. Looks to me like she could've cut that time even lower if she wasn't afraid of spilling on the far end turn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad