Nutrigenomics, the next horizon in the NHL?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Is nutrigenomics the next horizon in the NHL?

Athletic (paywall)

Nutrigenomics is a subset within the field of precision nutrition, which studies the dietary and nutritional needs of an individual’s needs based on the fact that there is variability person to person. Each person has a unique metabolism and, within this field, the differences in genes have become the factor easiest to discern and measure.

Testing can determine if drinking a cup of coffee before a game is performance-enhancing, or if it actually can be detrimental to player (e.g., sleep deprivation). How well does a player absorb vitamins? How fast can a player clear out lactate acid?

One US and a couple of Canadian teams are utilizing this.

Have to think that any forward looking team should be considering this (or similar) to improve performance.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd like to have my own DNA test.

Nothing is better than eating healthy and on a right way. Helps a single individual in life, not just a sports professional.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Sounds like just Gary Roberts' training and nutrition taken to the extreme. I can't comment on the science behind this particular thing, but people have already been obsessed with nutrition in the NHL for a while.

Reactions: Morrison

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Gretzky has had the inside scoop on this for years. He knew exactly what powered his friend Olli.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Whenever there are behind the scenes shows like "Road to the Winter Classic," I'm always interested in what teams eat for pre-game meals, and when in relation to the start of the game. It's been a while but I seem to recall Wayne Simmonds favoring pasta and chicken early evening, then a nap.

It's been nearly a decade, but I also recall an epic multiple-OT Finals game in '09 between the Wings and Pens, and the teams were allegedly sending out for pizzas?

I can also recall seeing Sean Thornton showing up the day of games with a giant cup of coffee.

I was also intrigued last year when Zdeno Chara said he had gone to a plant-based diet.

I do see teams and players employing this more, much like teams already do monitoring sleep; especially West Coast teams that log the most flight hours.

I know in my own athletic endeavors, what I eat and when has a definite impact on performance, especially since 9-10 months out of the year I'm also battling excessive heat and humidity.

Not being a professional athlete, it may just be superstition at this point; but I know what I should eat and when, when I'm really pushing myself. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad