Prospect Info: Nurse

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I was wondering what everyone thought about Nurse. I haven't seen much of him play but from what I've seen of him and been able to dig up on him I think he'd be great to target in this years draft. He looks to be just a small step behind Jones in this years draft and the only other dman in the draft with #1 potential. IIRC CharlieGirl has season tickets to an OHL team and would have seen a lot of him this year so her input would be invaluable (she's always had very good insight to players from the OHL in the past).

Also, what would everyone be willing to give up in order to move up to be able to draft him (say up to the 6th OA)? Would something like Cousins + 11th + 2nd or 11th + Laughton be something that everyone feels would be a) reasonable, b) something they would do and c) something Calg would do?

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
What you are offering is WAY too much to move up to a pick not in the top 5.

Usually when trading up, it should just involve draft picks if anything (usually a 3rd +). Giving up a prospect, especially Laughton I would never do.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
What you are offering is WAY too much to move up to a pick not in the top 5.

Usually when trading up, it should just involve draft picks if anything (usually a 3rd +). Giving up a prospect, especially Laughton I would never do.

I agree that's an overpayment typically. Laughton may be too much but there is no way I believe that simply adding a 3rd to our 11th is enough to get us to #6. I doubt our 2nd would be enough either. Maybe Cousins + our 2nd is too much (so maybe a 3rd instead).

Maybe something like Laughton + our 11th for the #6 and #36 picks??? Is that something that Calg would entertain?

Also, Is Nurse THAT good, THAT much better than say Risto, Radolov or Pulock that it would be worth giving up the necessary assets to move up and get him???

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I like Ristolainen more than Nurse.

I think both have a similar ceiling, but Nurse has a lower floor.

Wouldn't mind either though. Whoever falls to 11th is the guy you take. There's no need to get fancy. Both of these guys are fantastic players.

You certainly don't give up assets to go up and grab one of them unless you can't get either. Then you have to decide whether it's better to move back and grab from tier 2 or spend something extra to assure yourself a guy from tier 1.

member 30781

I agree that's an overpayment typically. Laughton may be too much but there is no way I believe that simply adding a 3rd to our 11th is enough to get us to #6. I doubt our 2nd would be enough either. Maybe Cousins + our 2nd is too much (so maybe a 3rd instead).

Maybe something like Laughton + our 11th for the #6 and #36 picks??? Is that something that Calg would entertain?

Also, Is Nurse THAT good, THAT much better than say Risto, Radolov or Pulock that it would be worth giving up the necessary assets to move up and get him???

Ristolainen is better than Nurse. I'd take him over Nurse everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. After Jones I rank the defensemen:

1. Ristolainen
2. Morrissey
3. Nurse
4. Zadorov
5. Pulock

Ristolainen has already been playing pros in Finland for two years since he was 16. He's everything you want in a defenseman and has all the tools necessary to be another great Finnish blueliner like Kimmo Timonen. He's got size, strength, poise, speed, creativity, defensive awareness, the total package.

If he's available at 11 and the Flyers choose another defenseman instead, I think they will be making a HUGE mistake.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Ristolainen is better than Nurse. I'd take him over Nurse everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. After Jones I rank the defensemen:

1. Ristolainen
2. Morrissey
3. Nurse
4. Zadorov
5. Pulock

Ristolainen has already been playing pros in Finland for two years since he was 16. He's everything you want in a defenseman and has all the tools necessary to be another great Finnish blueliner like Kimmo Timonen. He's got size, strength, poise, speed, creativity, defensive awareness, the total package.

If he's available at 11 and the Flyers choose another defenseman instead, I think they will be making a HUGE mistake.

Nurse is better than Morrissey.

I like Morrissey 4th, but Nurse is better than Morrissey.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I have said it before and will say it again. If there is one defenseman in this draft that has the ability to become the closest thing to Shea Weber in the NHL it's Nurse. He needs to grow into his body, which in return will help develop his slapper more as well. He can skate, hit, great defensively, great outlet pass, lateral movement is great, poke check is great, positioning is amazing. He still needs to learn the game more but has good hockey sense. He really has the tools to become something special. Next year is critical for his development. If the Flyers do draft him, you hope for a successful season in juniors for him. Something around 15 goals and 35 assists. Maybe even a little more. People are worried about his offense, but he can jump into the play with his skating and contribute. I believe when that slapper gets stronger from him filling out, he will/can run a Power play.

IMO I go like this with defenseman

Jones
Nurse
Ris
Zad/Pulock
Morrissey
Morin

SilkyMitts

Apr 29, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

why do you keep trying to get rid of laughton?
if we move up, it better be for jones

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Not really interested in moving up unless its to a position where we can get Jones, which would most likely be 2nd or 3rd if Florida opts for Drouin, which I doubt.

I don't think Nurse is much better than the rest of the d options going after jones, because after him there's a bit of a dropoff in talent.

1.Jones

2. Nurse
3. Ristolainen

4. Pulock
5. Morrissey

I think Nurse has a higher ceiling than Ristolainen, which is why I think he'll go before him, but Ristolainens floor is higher. I don't see anyway Ristolainen isn't a solid top 4 guy at least, with the potential to be a top pairing guy. Nurse, IMO, has the potential to be a #1 defenseman if he hits his ceiling, but he also has a higher chance of busting than Ristolainen does IMO. Tough choice between them. On one hand, Nurse is a tremendous athlete with a lot of raw talent and skill. He's fast, he's big, he's strong and he has a nasty shot. On the other hand, while not as physically impressive as Nurse in the athletic sense, Ristolainen has solid awareness and great hockey iq at a young age...

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Yeah I'd trade Laughton for a chance at getting Jones but that's it. There's a chance that one of Ristolainen or Nurse falls to us anyway. I don't think it's worth giving up Laughton just to get a guarantee unless we're getting a late first in return too.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Not really interested in moving up unless its to a position where we can get Jones, which would most likely be 2nd or 3rd if Florida opts for Drouin, which I doubt.

I don't think Nurse is much better than the rest of the d options going after jones, because after him there's a bit of a dropoff in talent.

1.Jones

2. Nurse
3. Ristolainen

4. Pulock
5. Morrissey

I think Nurse has a higher ceiling than Ristolainen, which is why I think he'll go before him, but Ristolainens floor is higher. I don't see anyway Ristolainen isn't a solid top 4 guy at least, with the potential to be a top pairing guy. Nurse, IMO, has the potential to be a #1 defenseman if he hits his ceiling, but he also has a higher chance of busting than Ristolainen does IMO. Tough choice between them.

I think it's closer to...

1. Jones
-
-
2. Ristolainen
3. Nurse
-
-
-
4. Morrissey
5. Zadorov
6. Pulock

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

1. Jones
-
-
2. Ristolainen
3. Nurse
-
-
-
4. Morrissey
5. Zadorov
6. Pulock

Yeah I mean, a lot of the guys are pretty interchangeable. People will rank Ristolainen over nurse and vice versa. IMO, nurse has the higher ceiling but Ristolainen is the safer pick.

Zadorov though, I don't like personally. I just don't think his offensive game with come at the NHL level, I see bust written all over him.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005

1. Jones
-
-
2. Ristolainen
3. Nurse
-
-
-
4. Morrissey
5. Zadorov
6. Pulock

I'd say it's more Jones and then a huge gap down to the next group, with everyone else's ranking being tied to how much you prioritize particular traits (size, speed, puck skills, demonstrated hockey sense, physical play, etc).

Example: THN and some NHL scouts have Ristolainen ranked in the 20s overall. While he's considered one of the lower-risk defensemen, his potential as a "home run" pick down the line may be lower than the others. There's actually a wide range of projections on how much offensive upside he has and whether there are better prospects in terms of playing top-pairing caliber defense. There's a fair share of scouts who think he'll be a solid number three or four defenseman who isn't deficient in a particular area but is unlikely to do any one thing well enough to become an NHL star.

You can do the same thing for all the others. They all have their question marks and some inherent risks, as well as a case to be made for why they are the "best after Jones" in this Draft.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I'd say it's more Jones and then a huge gap down to the next group, with everyone else's ranking being tied to how much you prioritize particular traits (size, speed, puck skills, demonstrated hockey sense, physical play, etc).

Example: THN and some NHL scouts have Ristolainen ranked in the 20s overall. While he's considered one of the lower-risk defensemen, his potential as a "home run" pick down the line may be lower than the others. There's actually a wide range of projections on how much offensive upside he has and whether there are better prospects in terms of playing top-pairing caliber defense. There's a fair share of scouts who think he'll be a solid number three or four defenseman who isn't deficient in a particular area but is unlikely to do any one thing well enough to become an NHL star.

You can do the same thing for all the others. They all have their question marks and some inherent risks, as well as a case to be made for why they are the "best after Jones" in this Draft.

I hope those scouts work for Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, New Jersey, Buffalo, and Dallas...

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Nurse isn't a guy I don't want, but he's also a guy I don't think is worth moving up to select. His upside is pretty high, but like others I would prefer Ristolainen. I would take Nurse every day of the week over Morin or Zadarov though, so tired of every D man over 6'6" being compared to Chara.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Nurse has the connection with the city through his uncle so he may have an easier time transitioning to the big city and all the media etc. if nurse and risto are both gone I suspect they take a forward as Morrison strikes me as a bit of a reach at 11

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I think Nurse has to be the pick over Risto if they're both available.

I don't see us picking Ristolainen. If nurse is off the board by 11, I can see them picking either Pulock or a forward.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
If I'm Holmgren (which I'm not) I realize that I should just scrap every opinion I have about drafting defensemen and do exactly what central scouting or even respected writers say I should do.

Often if you just know what you don't know - you'll be all right. Unfortunately, we have seen no evidence that Holmgren appreciates his lack of ability in drafting defensemen.

Honestly - how do you f up the 11th pick when you badly need a defenseman and there are about 5 that are very solid choices? I know he's going to reach for Morin at 11 when in reality - nobody else would until about 25. Always reaching... Laughton was a reach that may work out but if he reaches for a defenseman at 11 that should be going 30 - I will be angry.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I think Nurse has to be the pick over Risto if they're both available.

I don't see us picking Ristolainen. If nurse is off the board by 11, I can see them picking either Pulock or a forward.

By 11 I believe that Jones and Nurse will be gone and one or two more of the following as well. Probably just 1 of them - so strike out 1 of the following and who does Homer take?

Ristolainen
Pulock
Zadarov
Morrisey
Morin

My money says it's a toss-up between Morin... and Domi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad