GDT: Nurse vs Polak - Round II

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I've already said before I'm going for the Sharks in the playoffs. I love Joe and want him to win a cup, he's a great player and I really hope he wins one. Burns and Marleau are beauties too.

But this is regular season. Let Nurse and Polak settle it early and move on with the hockey game. Beat his ass Darnell.

I just want to see us battle and play a hard 60 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Polak has to step up and fight Nurse 1 on 1. Broken/bruised nose or not. Come on Roman! man up.

No one wants to see the stars fight. I mean Joe is probably the toughest guy on both teams. But really, who wants to see a freak injury/broken hand happen this close to the playoffs? I know I don't, and can likely guarantee Sharks fans don't either.

Polak's a big boy, he can handle himself. It's not like Nurse went after Couture or Pavelski. I stand by what Nurse did, Polak had ample time to take his gloves off and skated right into him after previously tripping (real or perceived) Hendo.

Nurse has nothing to lose. If he loses a good tilt, whatever. Polak is a grown man at 29 and has give or take 25 pounds on Nurse. He's also been around the block. If Darnell loses a good battle, it doesn't really matter. He stepped up and answered the bell with honour like a man.

If Darnell wins, his reputation explodes. Especially if it's another beat down. A full beating and Polak's reputation takes a massive loss. Furthermore, Nurse did to Polak exactly what Polak has done to other players in the past.

Beat his ass Darnell.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If he has a broken nose he isn't fighting, especially if there is some sort of cage. He has playoffs to worry about.

And while Joe might be strong he sure as hell isn't a fighter. When's the last time he fought?

Really not sure why Oiler fans would be the ones wanting a rematch in the first place.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Polak has to step up and fight Nurse 1 on 1. Broken/bruised nose or not. Come on Roman! man up.

No one wants to see the stars fight. I mean Joe is probably the toughest guy on both teams. But really, who wants to see a freak injury/broken hand happen this close to the playoffs? I know I don't, and can likely guarantee Sharks fans don't either.

Polak's a big boy, he can handle himself. It's not like Nurse went after Couture or Pavelski. I stand by what Nurse did, Polak had ample time to take his gloves off and skated right into him after previously tripping (real or perceived) Hendo.

Nurse has nothing to lose. If he loses a good tilt, whatever. Polak is a grown man at 29 and has give or take 25 pounds on Nurse. He's also been around the block. If Darnell loses a good battle, it doesn't really matter. He stepped up and answered the bell with honour like a man.

If Darnell wins, his reputation explodes. Especially if it's another beat down. A full beating and Polak's reputation takes a massive loss. Furthermore, Nurse did to Polak exactly what Polak has done to other players in the past.

Beat his ass Darnell.

Wouldn't exactly say honour. Totally attacked him.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I wonder if Nurse doesn't fight this year how many people would be tagging him as a potential bust. He's not very good at the whole playing hockey thing.

Avenger*

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Really not sure why Oiler fans would be the ones wanting a rematch in the first place.
Because so many people whined and cried that it "wasn't fair" the first time?

We've already seen this play out once this season. Someone from the Sharks will step up to seek retribution for what happened. Nurse won't have to go looking.

Avenger*

I wonder if Nurse doesn't fight this year how many people would be tagging him as a potential bust. He's not very good at the whole playing hockey thing.

21 year olds playing above their head on the second pairing during their rookie season are definitely always busts...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wouldn't exactly say honour. Totally attacked him.

I think you misunderstood what I said. Read the context it is in. I'm talking about if he fights Polak tonight and loses, who cares he answered the bell against a bigger and older player.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Well, it's in the Sharks best interest to have Nurse on the ice as much as possible against them.

Our entire defense is still a weakness guy, it's not like Nurse is the achilles heal out there to this great team.

Does it feel good singling out a 21 year old rookie who has been forced to step up despite struggling?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Our entire defense is still a weakness guy, it's not like Nurse is the achilles heal out there to this great team.

Does it feel good singling out a 21 year old rookie who has been forced to step up despite struggling?

Nurse's struggles and the fact he continues to play in the NHL despite obviously being years away from being able to contribute gives me no pleasure. Quite the opposite, I'm rather annoyed to see the mistakes of the past repeated.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I don't agree with this at all. He's had ups and downs like any rookie and on a defence corps that wasn't 90% rookies and spare parts I think he'd look a lot better.

I think Nurse's struggles have less to do with Nurse and more to do with the Oilers not putting him in a situation to succeed.

Fun fact: 5 of the top 16 rookies in TOI/GP are Oilers.

1) Oesterle, 21:27
3) Nurse, 20:26
8) Davidson, 19:11
13) McDavid, 18:38
16) Reinhart, 17:43

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

so i've been one of the most vocal nurse critics on the boards, but this is a ridiculous statement

people were saying similar things about hedman in his first two years... not saying nurse will become hedman, but the concept is the same.... for dmen in particular, it is beyond ridiculous to call players "busts" in their rookie NHL season... lets have this same conversation in a year (or two) from now and see where we stand

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Is Polak wearing a cage? IIRC Darnell broke his nose.

He played the next game without a cage. I never heard anything that confirmed that he even had a broken nose, so I really doubt that it was if he was able to play 2 days later without a cage.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
so i've been one of the most vocal nurse critics on the boards, but this is a ridiculous statement

people were saying similar things about hedman in his first two years... not saying nurse will become hedman, but the concept is the same.... for dmen in particular, it is beyond ridiculous to call players "busts" in their rookie NHL season... lets have this same conversation in a year (or two) from now and see where we stand

I was trying to calm the Nurse crowd down last spring. I think hes done rather well this year.

I actually dont know why people think hes struggling out there so bad? Whats he struggling at? Putting points up?

My Nurse ceiling right now is higher than it was last spring when he was in Junior

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I was trying to calm the Nurse crowd down last spring. I think hes done rather well this year.

I actually dont know why people think hes struggling out there so bad? Whats he struggling at? Putting points up?

My Nurse ceiling right now is higher than it was last spring when he was in Junior

I think some people saw the way he gave McDavid his greatest challenge to date at the time during the OHL playoffs last year and expected him to be able to steo into the NHL and dominate like he did at the OHL level. So pretty much it boils down to people having a lack of knowledge when it comes to the transition and adjustment for CHL players to the NHL, that and some are just trolls on the main boards.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm expecting the Sharks to get their revenge, but not by trying to break Nurse's nose or anything.

They're going to bring their best tonight and we're going to get destroyed.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Not sure how you can say what i wrote was a "ridiculous statement"in the first sentence and then validate my point literally one sentence later.

Rightly or wrongly, people would be asking a lot more questions about Nurse if he wasn't beating people up. That's all.

I don't agree with this at all. He's had ups and downs like any rookie and on a defence corps that wasn't 90% rookies and spare parts I think he'd look a lot better.

I think Nurse's struggles have less to do with Nurse and more to do with the Oilers not putting him in a situation to succeed.

They are doing the same thing to Nurse they've done to other prospects at the expense of their development, yet people are still projecting Nurse to not just pan out, but develop into a top pairing guy. I'm having a hard time squaring these two ideas is all.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not sure how you can say what i wrote was a "ridiculous statement"in the first sentence and then validate my point literally one sentence later.

Rightly or wrongly, people would be asking a lot more questions about Nurse if he wasn't beating people up. That's all.

They are doing the same thing to Nurse they've done to other prospects at the expense of their development, yet people are still projecting Nurse to not just pan out, but develop into a top pairing guy. I'm having a hard time squaring these two ideas is all.

People would also be asking a lot less questions if his main partners were not Justin Schultz and Adam Clenndening on the second pairing almost all season.

Witch other Dmen with his natural abilities and pedigree would compare to the guys you claim were ruined?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

lol, and people wonder why we are in last place again... i almost couldn't think of a better example of how you would build a team to NOT succeed

if you want to fail in the NHL, make sure to play a lot of rookies in important roles.... 3 of the top 8 ROI rookies in the ENTIRE NHL are dmen for the oilers, that is beyond hilarious to be honest... this would be funny if they were all forwards, but the fact that its the exact position where you need veterans the most, is comical beyond belief

of COURSE we are near the bottom in the league, how is this surprising to anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad