CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
100% cant wait till WJC so we can cheer for a winning team

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The right move. There's lots to look forward to with Nurse. He's just not there yet.

Hopefully Draisaitl will follow in a week or so.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
First smart move that they have made in weeks.

He should have never been up here in the first place IMO. Clearly not ready for the big show, but I'm confident that he will be next season.

Now, they need to call up Marincin and end this Hunt experiment. I wish that they could end the Nikitin and Ference experiments also, but that's not realistic so Hunt will do in the meantime.

Ideally, they send Draisaitl down too but i'm not so sure that Prince Albert is the best place for his development or Europe on the big ice for that matter so even though he looks a bit out of place at the NHL level, i don't think there's much of a choice in the matter but to keep him the whole season. Plus Yak finally has some chemistry with somebody so no need to disrupt that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No doubt, IMO Nurse is more ready than Draisaitl

I disagree solely in the fact that Draisaitl can be hidden a little easier than Nurse could be.

But yeah. Draisaitl just doesn't look ready to compete at this level.

Eirhead*

u0WyNAO.gif

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
the only sensible the organization has done so far. now they need to get marincin up and ference gone

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Excellent. He should be as far away from this nightmare as possible. Let him go destroy the OHL

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Good.

Is Eakins going with him? Learn to coach from a coach in the OHL that is probably 10 times better than he is?

Gambl0r83*

I'm going to go against the tide, I don't like this move. At least give him until the max amount of games allowed before sending him down. They put him on a back to back starting with S. Champs where he gets demolished, then they say oh, he needs another year. Oh my god, he wasn't given a fair chance at all.
A longer look and a couple more games of NHL experience would've been more beneficial imo.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Good move. It was nice seeing him get a couple of games in, but he's not ready for the team, and the team isn't ready for him. I'm actually glad they didn't wait the full 9 games too.

Oct 15, 2008
I'm going to go against the tide, I don't like this move. At least give him until the max amount of games allowed before sending him down. They put him on a back to back starting with S. Champs where he gets demolished, then they say oh, he needs another year. Oh my god, he wasn't given a fair chance at all.
A longer look and a couple more games of NHL experience would've been more beneficial imo.

mock-surprise-gif.gif

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Not on this team with no lineup insulation.
He was getting worse in the Phoenix game and it was only a matter of time until his confidence was shattered.

Better to keep his confidence up and keep him away from this sinking ship as long as possible. There's still hope for him.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
While I would've liked to have seen how Nurse would look in a home environment where he could've had more favorable line matchups, ultimately I can understand it and it should be the best for him long term...and for this year, the Oilers aren't as desperate for him to succeed at this level as they are for Draisaitl since at D they at least have a modicum of depth.

Next year though, I think they'll absolutely have to make room for him. I think this will be a guy that won't need much AHL seasoning, if any at all.

Given the current depth chart:

Schultz
Marincin
Ference
Fayne
Nikitin
Petry
Klefbom

At least one of those guys will have to go.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Honestly, I would of kept him up, as I am not sure what more he has to learn at the OHL level. Draisaitl though, MUST be sent down. He is too slow and unsure of himself at this level; he will learn nothing up here except how to digress as a player with his 8 minutes a night.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I would've given him the full 9 as it's sadly clear that this is going to be a 'development year' in which we continue to gain rebuild assets and have our young players mature (in theory, if that actually happens that'd be great too).

It's better that he goes down now as opposed to not at all though. He got experience practicing with an NHL team, played exhibitions and even got into 2 actual NHL games, one against a tough opponent. That'll do, I suppose. I think Draisaitl should get the full 9 if he's going down though.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It was about damn time, he clearly wasn't ready for the show I don't know why our coach needed regular season games to figure that out. 1 more year of OHL and 1 WJC will do Darnell a world of good; next year I expect him to be a real contender to stick on this team permanently.

Draisaitl should be following him pretty quickly, MacT should tell his agent to find him a nice landing spot in the Swedish hockey league, and get busy working the phones for any reasonably decent defensive center with a smidge of untapped offensive potential. Hopefully MacT can get that done after about 2 more games and we can get a little more serious about winning hockey games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad