Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
One thing I've noticed is that oilers management is 100% asleep during this series.

Canucks have been waging psychological warfare and where is the pushback?

In the past week we've had

1. Tocchet mess with the Refs heads we get zero penalties no one says nothing. Step up Mr Ken Holland or are you already talking to hr about your exit package?

2. Paul coffey is apparently aracist because he pointed at his head and said wacko to a guy who was bang on the glass all night.

3. Oh evander kane yelled at some players and left the dressing room early after the collapse.

Spare me the "oh we don't want to sink to their level" "you think they care what the media says" "refs we're not influenced" nonsense.

Everyone wants their management to back them and the radio silence is deafening.
Where did you hear this about Kane?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For sure. I don't believe in Pickard whatsoever, but even he might have won that game.
Like I said Pickard doesn't get fooled on the first goal and 5th goal. He might even get the Zadorov goal from point. Possible as well that pIckard has pads tight on 2nd goal.

I'm damn convinced that on the 5th goal particularly that is a routine move across for Pickard who just has such superior to Skinner form moving across. What Skinner does there can't even be called form at this level.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think we could all probably feel it a bit at 4-3 - they killed off that penalty and there were about 7 minutes left, which seemed like it would be the longest 7 minutes ever - and it was !
Just complete panic hockey for the remainder of the game. Seen it so many times with this team and they just never learn.

Yep, I 100% agree with you. 25/5/74 were shit, but Knob should've shown some assertiveness in the 3rd. Team gets scored on twice to make it a tied game? Call a timeout and wake your team up since they got rattled. Him not switching up the lines was awful too. I get that he wanted the nucks players not to get as much rest when the team had a faceoff in the nucks end after pulling 74, but with the way they were playing offensively in the 3rd, a timeout could've AT LEAST cooked some sort of plan up to tie the game. Knoblauch took part in the loss last night.
I'm honestly not seeing that much of a difference between Knoblauch and Woodcroft. Neither Nurse nor Ceci should've been seeing that much ice time in the third and yet they continued to get caved in.

I know watching them with a 4-1 lead I was worried. We didn't deserve it... we weren't even close to deserving it. It was a gift of fortune. My wife was laughing because of me saying this with a 4-1 lead.

I think If I know they don't "have it" that night. They damn well know/knew it as well.

I don't think they changed their game at all. The reality of the game just set in.
Yup, fortunate to be up by three due to subpar goaltending by the opposition and the Oilers just absolutely refused to take advantage of it. They gave the Canucks confidence after it looked like they might wilt.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Just complete panic hockey for the remainder of the game. Seen it so many times with this team and they just never learn.

I'm honestly not seeing that much of a difference between Knoblauch and Woodcroft. Neither Nurse nor Ceci should've been seeing that much ice time in the third and yet they continued to get caved in.

Yup, fortunate to be up by three due to subpar goaltending by the opposition and the Oilers just absolutely refused to take advantage of it. They gave the Canucks confidence after it looked like they might wilt.

It's astounding, isn't it?
Ekholm Bouchard = Excellent
Kulak Desharnais = Adequate and do their job at a level you want your bottom pair to play at.
Nurse Ceci = makes Taylor Chorney and Jason Strudwick pairing look better to watch defensively.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kulak Desharnais = Adequate and do their job at a level you want your bottom pair to play at.
Nurse Ceci = makes Taylor Chorney and Jason Strudwick pairing look better to watch defensively.
There needs to be a federal investigation into this pairing and why it keeps being a thing after being repeatedly exposed. It's also only a matter of time before they get exposed on the PK too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know watching them with a 4-1 lead I was worried. We didn't deserve it... we weren't even close to deserving it. It was a gift of fortune. My wife was laughing because of me saying this with a 4-1 lead.

I think If I know they don't "have it" that night. They damn well know/knew it as well.

I don't think they changed their game at all. The reality of the game just set in.
I was shaking my head muttering at 4-2 with the wife saying "whats wrong" I get you, haha.

But I knew as well Skinner was shaky in the first when he let a post shot get by him from range and another that just went off his stick. All kinds of net on both of them. Nucks had only 4SOG and almost two goals. That was my first notion Skinner having another one of his shaky games.

Reactions: iCanada

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I used to get annoyed at what was formerly hyperbole about Nurse. "He's a bottom pair D man, he's a $2M d man, etc."

It might legitimately be true. Would Philip Broberg have honestly put up a worse game than that last night? That was so bad that if a rookie player played that game he would almost certainly be scratched for Game 2.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Every twitter post I saw linked back to that account that tries to make itself out to look like a news outlet, but looking at their content they are just another fan account that likes to troll by looking official.
Even the coffey shit goes back to 2 Twitter guys but now it's been blown up and on a lot of social media. Canucks are the worst f***ing fans the absolute worst. I've never seen a more toxic fan base. Out right making up fake stories.

Reactions: Oilhawks and K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
There needs to be a federal investigation into this pairing and why it keeps being a thing after being repeatedly exposed. It's also only a matter of time before they get exposed on the PK too.

They should in theory, be a defensive option in a lock down game.

They aren't, but coaches keep falling into the trap. They're a 15 minute pair that needs to be heavily sheltered. Play them like it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I used to get annoyed at what was formerly hyperbole about Nurse. "He's a bottom pair D man, he's a $2M d man, etc."

It might legitimately be true. Would Philip Broberg have honestly put up a worse game than that last night? That was so bad that if a rookie player played that game he would almost certainly be scratched for Game 2.

I think even Stecher would've been fine too. Ceci is just the definition of garbage on defense.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The thing about Nurse too is he doesn't elevate during the playoffs. I said before these playoffs began that he was the player I was going to look at the most after two pretty bad playoffs prior. He just doesn't have another gear. The most notable things he's done is get suspended for being an idiot. I don't care if he's good friends with McDavid, he should be gone if he doesn't dummy up.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

The unfortunate reality is that I trust Desharnais (a player making less than $1M) more than I trust Nurse.
Its been that way for a while now. Nurse is just not a reliabe player and for $9.25M he absolutely should be.

Thats why I cut Ceci (who is paid like a 4/5 dman) a little slack...I cant imagine how difficult it is to play with a dman like Nurse who thinks the game so poorly.

Reactions: McAsuno and K1984

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Knoblauch, much like Woodcroft, is almost completely reluctant to use a timeout for anything but a coach's challenge. Not sure if that's the new NHL, but it definitely hampers a coach's ability to change momentum in a game.
Maybe this has already been covered, so apologies if so.

IIRC coaches challenges don’t impact timeouts anymore. When they changed it to teams getting a penalty when they lose a coaching challenge, that became the only punishment for a failed challenge. Its not both. Pretty sure its been that way since before Woodcroft was hired.

Last edited:
Reactions: OfCorsiDid

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Nurse was much better though in the Kings series. The Kings though as mentioned before this series started were playing the 1-3-1 which only limits their forecheck and makes it easier for all our defenders to get pucks out.

This is not at all what you face playing the Canucks who will pressure more and seek ownzone turnovers. Nucks live off this stuff. AS I mentioned earlier wasn't just Ceci-Nurse doing this with less time. Kulak and Desharnais were doing it too. The Only Oilers D that looked better composed with the faster action were Ekholm and Booch.

Desharnais as well was predictably having difficulty with less time and more opponent pace, and was also screening Skinner for no reason on Zadorov goal.

Reactions: K1984

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
One thing I've noticed is that oilers management is 100% asleep during this series.

Canucks have been waging psychological warfare and where is the pushback?

In the past week we've had

1. Tocchet mess with the Refs heads we get zero penalties no one says nothing. Step up Mr Ken Holland or are you already talking to hr about your exit package?

2. Paul coffey is apparently aracist because he pointed at his head and said wacko to a guy who was bang on the glass all night.

3. Oh evander kane yelled at some players and left the dressing room early after the collapse.

Spare me the "oh we don't want to sink to their level" "you think they care what the media says" "refs we're not influenced" nonsense.

Everyone wants their management to back them and the radio silence is deafening.

Don’t forget the “grown-ass man” that wears a green spandex full body gimp suit is back to rub his ass on the penalty box. It probably gets under the skin of the players, or makes them want to vomit, not sure

Reactions: Pavel10

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The thing about Nurse too is he doesn't elevate during the playoffs. I said before these playoffs began that he was the player I was going to look at the most after two pretty bad playoffs prior. He just doesn't have another gear. The most notable things he's done is get suspended for being an idiot. I don't care if he's good friends with McDavid, he should be gone if he doesn't dummy up.

He doesn't elevate, he de-elevates.

Goes from an inconsistent, but generally reliable D man that can play a lot of minutes to and absolute joke of a player that needs to be sheltered so he doesn't single handedly throw games away.

You could argue that all of Game 1 and 2 against eh Avalanche in 2022, Game 3 against the Knights last year, and the Game last night were nearly single handedly lost by him. There was some shitty goaltending in there too, but it wasn't the other D men on the team digging pucks out of their net, it was him, every time. After a while that stops becoming an unfortunate coincidence.

You can't have a guy on your team making that kind of money throwing away that many playoff games. That is unacceptable for a $750k bottom pair guy, never mind him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He doesn't elevate, he de-elevates.

Goes from an inconsistent, but generally reliable D man that can play a lot of minutes to and absolute joke of a player that needs to be sheltered so he doesn't single handedly throw games away.

You could argue that all of Game 1 and 2 against eh Avalanche in 2022, Game 3 against the Knights last year, and the Game last night were nearly single handedly lost by him. There was some shitty goaltending in there too, but it wasn't the other D men on the team digging pucks out of their net, it was him, every time. After a while that stops becoming an unfortunate coincidence.

You can't have a guy on your team making that kind of money throwing away that many playoff games. That is unacceptable for a $750k bottom pair guy, never mind him.
When he lost his mind in Game 4 against the Knights after McDavid and Draisatl specifically told him not to engage, that's the moment I was done with this player. Completely idiotic and selfish shit that he got goaded into by some plug on the Knights. Pretty sure he got suspended before a crucial game 6 against the Kings in 2022 as well. Brainless player.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Even the coffey shit goes back to 2 Twitter guys but now it's been blown up and on a lot of social media. Canucks are the worst f***ing fans the absolute worst. I've never seen a more toxic fan base. Out right making up fake stories.

Yeah, I've been trying to do some digging on it, and it all seems to come down one guy posting it on Twitter claiming to have witnessed it himself, then using screenshots of a text message from someone who agrees that they saw it as well and screenshot of reddit post as his evidence. This isn't even evidence of a 2nd person as the reddit user could be the same person, and all you need is access to a 2nd phone to create a text message.

I want to see something a little more definitive before I crucify someone.

You mention two guys. Who's the other one than the very anonymous hockey stats man.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Honeslty if drai leaves I don't blame him. 9 years and his wingers are likely to be Mcleod and Foegele next game.

We never got him and ehlers or gutnzel to play with.

9 years of dragging guys like Yamamoto around.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

No, I think Broberg would have been better, easily.

It’s too late because they didn’t give him (or Stecher) much time in the regular season, and they won’t have the balls to do it, but they should really try subbing those two out for those two and elevate Kulak - Desharnais

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, I've been trying to do some digging on it, and it all seems to come down one guy posting it on Twitter claiming to have witnessed it himself, then using screenshots of a text message from someone who agrees that they saw it as well and screenshot of reddit post as his evidence. This isn't even evidence of a 2nd person as the reddit user could be the same person, and all you need is access to a 2nd phone to create a text message.

I want to see something a little more definitive before I crucify someone.

You mention two guys. Who's the other one than the very anonymous hockey stats man.
The world we live in now.
All it takes is an accusation and for a few social media accounts to give the accusation traction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad