Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
2nd goal Nurse boots skinners paddle. Puck banks in because of that. There’s video evidence. If you can’t admit to your wrong take here then there’s no point in discussing any blame on any of the goals.

Yup. I blame him for goals 4 and 5. I also blamed him for goal 2 along with Nurse Ceci until I watched the replay. So GYB put goals 4 and 5 on Skinner too?
Both things happened. Nurse touched Skinners stick and the puck went in off Skinners stick. I get what you're saying. I did watch the replay you suggested, freeze framed multiple times. You are correct the overhead was the best angle.

I'll be wrong on this one if you want. ;)

Puljulainen

Feb 27, 2023
Tomorrow we will be much better, I dont think the team is done, they will respond. We will go home with a 1-1 split and most people would probably have taken that before the series started. The team played many games with the season on the line at the beginning of the season and if they can find that desperation in their game again this series will be fine. These Canucks aren't beating us three more times if we play like we did most of the season after Knob took over.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Aside from all the Ceci/Nurse/Skinner stuff which I will leave the rest of you to go over...

SHOOT THE PUCK -- I know that Van locked it down pretty well, but I could not believe after that Hyman goal that every puck that crossed the Canucks blueline wasn't immediately on net. Silovs looked horrendous.

It's one game. And it's a game 1, which we never win, but that one stung.

Need a better effort on Friday.

You'd think the Oilers would play more aggressive offensively as Hyman's 2nd goal imo rattled Silov imo. I said it last night that the team can sit back defensively against a 1-3-1 kings that will still not forecheck the puck even if they're down a goal or 2 but the team cannot afford to do that against a nucks team that has plenty of finishers. It felt like any time the nucks forechecked 25/5, those duo just completely panicked and lost the puck and their men multiple times for goals against and scoring chances against.
Having no f***ing shots until the nucks took the lead was just inexcusable of both the team and coaching staff. 25/5/74 were the prime reasons for the loss, but Knoblauch needs to get his shit together too. Can't say you're gonna rotate L1 Janmark but stick him on 97's line the whole game and then throw out 25/5 out there often to get feasted upon again primarily by Lindholm's line.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
For what it worth, over the last 24 minutes of the game, Edmonton had the better of the Expected Goal share (0.423 xGA vs 0.746 xGF 63.8 xG%)

They didn't accomplish much offensively, but the played a very strong stretch of defensive hockey from the last TV timeout of the 2nd period until the end of the game, but Skinner couldn't help himself.
They really didn't though. They turned the puck over numerous times. The spent more time in their end. Their second pairing got absolutely torched.

1715273994963.png

The top pairing had a great game. That's about it as far as positives go. You simply cannot sit back against anyone and allow them to dictate play. If they tried that nonsense against the Avs they'd be relegated.

Reactions: Ibanez and McAsuno

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I’m more angry than anything. I really thought this team would learn from past mistakes. This is playoff hockey, if you have a 4–1 lead you tighten it up and win the game. No one excels more at defeating themselves than the Oilers.

But they did tighten up defensively. Vancouver literally had 1 HD scoring chance in the last 24 minutes and an expected goal total based on shot difficulty of 0.43, yet Skinner allowed 4 goals against over that 24 minutes stretch.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yes...thats correct......
Trifecta of blame last night should be Nurse, Ceci, and Skinner. Makes sense.
Both things happened. Nurse touched Skinners stick and the puck went in off Skinners stick. I get what you're saying. I did watch the replay you suggested, freeze framed multiple times. You are correct the overhead was the best angle.

I'll be wrong on this one if you want. ;)
Lol Well it’s just what happened man. I don’t want you to be wrong, but let’s be accurate.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Of the two goalies I expect skinner has more ability to rebound. Given the team also looked like zombies i don't understand why the sky is falling so hard. Maybe I'm too optimistic but games from the doldrums of trending toward missing the playoffs and 5th in 8 days with no mcdavid doesn't change my mind.

If we come out flat next game maybe I'll revaluate, but I can't see us losing this series.
I think mostly just the frustration of seeing no OIlers games for a week, the bozo NHL scheduling allowing such delay in this game to occur, and then having it be this game. This was the most frustrating game since any of the other 4 times the Canucks beat us. Its all that wrapped in an enigma.

yes I think the Oilers are still winning series. I also tend to think now that our journey stops at Conference final.

One other concern is the Oilers have been flat in playoffs for 3 games in a row now. They were let off the hook by the Kings inability to score.

Reactions: North Cole

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I'm not even gonna analyze this loss, this one just hurt my soul on the deepest level

Game 5 vs Anahiem 2017 kinda loss

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Lol Well it’s just what happened man. I don’t want you to be wrong, but let’s be accurate.
I'm playing. You're more right on the second goal than I am. That said I was taught to have goalie stick to pads/skates, and we used to use it to limit 5 hole. But today I see the kids are doing something else.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not even gonna analyze this loss, this one just hurt my soul on the deepest level

Loss sucked. And yeh it hurts. But one win coming out of Vancouver with the split will fix that right up.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

My only solace is that this one was Game 1 and not Game 5 or 6..... imagine if that game got them eliminated from the playoffs....

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For sure.
Now getting 2-3 shots on goal in the 2nd and 3rd period is ridiculously bad. That IMO played a major role as well.

They Oilers had a Canucks goalie that was clearly struggling and yet they had no killer instinct at all.
The team was way too passive. If they pressure the Canucks goalie like they should have this game would have been over halfway through the 3rd period.

Also...McDavid has zero shots on goal and got killed in the faceoff circle. Might be the worst playoff game he has played in his career. That didnt help either.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm playing. You're more right on the second goal than I am. That said I was taught to have goalie stick to pads, and we used to use it to limit 5 hole. But today I see the kids are doing something else.
I remember stick at 5 hole too and I do agree it’s happening less in todays game for whatever reason. But in that play, you can see Skinner track the puck carrier and track the pass. He knew the pass was coming and had his stick positioned to intercept. He did not realize that Nurse would come in like a moron and boot his stick to bank the puck where it wasn’t supposed to bank. But yeh that’s actually a goal I blamed on Skinner along with Nurse and Ceci on initial look. It’s not easy to see that the Nurse boot happened. It happens so quick and you needed the overhead view to know for sure.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
For sure.
Now getting 2-3 shots on goal in the 2nd and 3rd period is ridiculously bad. That IMO played a major role as well.

They Oilers had a Canucks goalie that was clearly struggling and yet they had no killer instinct at all.
The team was way too passive.

Should've kept playing harder offensively after Hyman's 2nd goal. It was by far a weak goal but it definitely rattled Silov, the canucks, and especially silenced the building. Extremely frustrating to lose that game especially after having a 3 goal lead.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
For sure.

The team was way too passive. If they pressure the Canucks goalie like they should have this game would have been over halfway through the 3rd period.
Yeh I don’t know what to make of the lack of shots. Are the Nucks just shutting us down? Or are we playing to protect the lead? In those tight LA games it seems the team was more than happy to sit back and defend a tight lead. So I’m hoping it was just that and not anything the Nucks themselves were doing to us.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Should've kept playing harder offensively after Hyman's 2nd goal. It was by far a weak goal but it definitely rattled Silov, the canucks, and especially silenced the building. Extremely frustrating to lose that game especially after having a 3 goal lead.
Couldnt agree more.

Reactions: McAsuno

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
If one values one's sanity, don't read LeBrun's latest article about the impact Chris Tanev is having on the Stars. Bednar is working hard to get MacKinnon away from that match-up (Tanev was 5-0 in GF-GA against Vegas' top two lines across 93 minutes) and we have Ceci losing his match-ups against everyone.

Dallas might end up wasting him too, but at least it would be out vs a true favourite in the Avs

Little brother Calgary did their part to f*** over the Oilers. Tanev over Ceci could be a Cup

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I’ve suspected all year McDavid is still fighting an injury. He’s probably had more pucks stripped or tipped away from him or flat-out mishandled, and more missed shots on net this year, than in all his previous seasons combined. We’ve all watched his entire career and it’s obvious he’s not at 100% of his full capabilities. I said it a few months ago, healthy McDavid is unquestionably the best player in the game and wins the Art Ross handily.

It’s not his fault and I don’t hold it against him but this team can only go as far as he can carry them. 0 shots on net in a massive playoff game is alarming to me.

he was pretty bad last night. Really needed him to step up with Draisaitl being dinged up and he laid an egg. Him and RNH got absolutely slaughtered in the faceoff circle

1 goal so far these playoffs. Tied with Cody Ceci and Kulak... less goals than Holloway

guy cant shoot the puck at all this season

Reactions: barry halls

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Skinner had 7/12 games last playoffs with a GAA of 4 or higher. He now has 3/6 so far this post season. The latter is even more concerning as the team this year under KK Coffey are givng up much less.

To wit, again Skinner gave up 3 goals in third period on one HDSC. What clutch goaltending...

Skinner converted a win to a loss. That can't happen often from your starter.

Reactions: iCanada

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeh I don’t know what to make of the lack of shots. Are the Nucks just shutting us down? Or are we playing to protect the lead? In those tight LA games it seems the team was more than happy to sit back and defend a tight lead. So I’m hoping it was just that and not anything the Nucks themselves were doing to us.

They played to protect the lead. It was like a kings game all over again. Get the lead and turtle defensively in the 3rd. That can work against a trap system kings that still won't forecheck if they're down a goal or two, but you cannot do the same shit against the nucks. They will make this team pay again if we pull off that crap.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
For sure.
Now getting 2-3 shots on goal in the 2nd and 3rd period is ridiculously bad. That IMo played a major role as well.

The team was way too passive.

They couldn't keep up. The Oilers couldn't be aggressive because they chased practically the whole game. When they did get the puck they made an absolute mess out of it.

And it started with their captain to be perfectly honest. May not be something I'd like to acknowledge but McDavid was really .. bad last night. I'm not blaming the loss on him. The whole team suffered the same affliction as him.

Did they plan or want to lay that egg.. god no. That's the scary part. This team can't deal with success.. it kills their game. They have to have a measure of guilt in their game to find their legs and dial in.

This teams biggest weakness is themselves.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
My only solace is that this one was Game 1 and not Game 5 or 6..... imagine if that game got them eliminated from the playoffs....
I lost a lot of sleep last night, I don't think I completed a single REM cycle

anyway, Im gonna avoid social media and this place until tomorrow. bye yall

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I remember stick at 5 hole too and I do agree it’s happening less in todays game for whatever reason. But in that play, you can see Skinner track the puck carrier and track the pass. He knew the pass was coming and had his stick positioned to intercept. He did not realize that Nurse would come in like a moron and boot his stick to bank the puck where it wasn’t supposed to bank. But yeh that’s actually a goal I blamed on Skinner along with Nurse and Ceci on initial look. It’s not easy to see that the Nurse boot happened. It happens so quick and you needed the overhead view to know for sure.
Yep. The NHL replays didn't have the overhead. Thanks for the exchange and the better view. Good work my friend!

Reactions: TheNumber4

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The difference is that Vancouver actually has players with offensive talent; "bend but don't break" may have worked against LA but it won't work the rest of the playoffs. The Oilers need to approach every shift with the mindset of trying to score a goal, not "don't get scored against".

It’s strange, you’d think something like have a week to coach with video might help them understand this, but I guess not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad