Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah at a certain point you need a f***ing save.

Or atleast not to score on yourself.

This after the team rallied to cover a goaltender taking a needless penalty and took a 3 goal lead... But he scores on himself twice?!
They rallied? When? They went more than a period's worth of hockey without recording a shot on goal. They made zero effort to try and stem the tide. Their game plan for two periods was chip the puck out and make soft plays along the wall.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

This after the team rallied to cover a goaltender taking a needless penalty and took a 3 goal lead... But he scores on himself twice?!

I agree that Skinner had a bad game and gave up some bad goals last night. But on goal 2 he didn’t score on himself. Nurse scored on him. He booted Skinners paddle to deflect that puck in. No one seemed to notice on the GDT cause Sportsnet did a shit job with the replays. But it’s apparent with the overhead view in the TNT broadcast that Nurse booted that in.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
1st goal a literal perfect play pulled off by the Nucks. Yeh I’m not blaming skinner for that bang bang play going to a wide open Joshua.

2nd goal Nurse booted the Skinners stick to deflect the puck in. Watch the replay again. If Nurse doesn’t boot the stick that goal doesn’t happen. Period. Besides the 2 breakdowns that happened prior to that chance in the first place.
Exclusively blaming Skinner (you're clearly not doing that) doesnt address the real problems in this game.

I cued up this podcast to start at the point at which the goals are evaluated.
I think that Struds and Brownie are spot on....

Reactions: TheNumber4

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
1st goal a literal perfect play pulled off by the Nucks. Yeh I’m not blaming skinner for that bang bang play going to a wide open Joshua.

2nd goal Nurse booted the Skinners stick to deflect the puck in. Watch the replay again. If Nurse doesn’t boot the stick that goal doesn’t happen. Period. Besides the 2 breakdowns that happened prior to that chance in the first place.
Your take on these goals is simply absolving Skinner.

Goal one is a setplay a team can use anytime that is pretty hard to stop and if your goalie is inept reading the play. Guess where an astute goalie would be positioned on that play ready for the rebound? Nah, we have Skinner not sure whats happening.

2 Simple question. What did the puck bounce off? Why was Skinner leading his stick so far ahead of pads that a player could bank it in off his stick. You seem to ignore if Skinners stick is where its supposed to be Nurse doesn't touch it, even if he did.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I agree that Skinner had a bad game and gave up some bad goals last night. But on goal 2 he didn’t score on himself. Nurse scored on him. He booted Skinners paddle to deflect that puck in. No one seemed to notice on the GDT cause Sportsnet did a shit job with the replays. But it’s apparent with the overhead view in the TNT broadcast that Nurse booted that in.
you just witnessed the biggest goaltender flop in NHL history

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The puck went in directly off Skinners misplaced stick. As many times as you attempt to find a hidden shooter on a grassy mount. ;)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
the 3 worst players last night were in order:

1. Skinner

2. Nurse
3. Ceci

goals #2 and #5 were absolute softies and momentum sappers at the worst time

goal #1 was on Ceci but Cucks got a good bounce off the board
goal #3 was on a typical brain-dead Nurse play where he had the puck on his stick and can't make a simple play out of the zone
goal #4 was on the forwards screening Skinner (although, maybe come out more to try and look bigger)
I thought initially goal 2 was on Skinner too. But Nurse booted Skinners paddle and put that puck into our net. Goal 5 is 100% on Skinner though and he admitted it during the post game presser as the one he’d like back.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
1st goal I can't blame Skinner.
4th goal? There's 4 f***ing Oilers between the shot and Skinner. If you're gonna get in the way, make sure it hits you instead of providing a screen.
But yeah. Skinner wasn't great, Nurse, Ceci... the team as a whole played poor and damn near stole one on the road.
Come out swinging for game two. Need a much better effort.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Fair, so then the team's only option is to give up. Campbell isn't playing and never should and unless you think Pickard can do it, it's over, everything is done.
Giving up is not an option but there's no way they'll be able to beat any other team left in the playoffs except maybe Vancouver, unless Skinner stops this trend immediately.

You are correct on their goaltending options, they've backed themselves into a corner as Pickard is never an option for playoffs (granted he only would have needed to be .875 to win last night) and they didn't try to get Campbell into any games down the stretch making him a non-option as well.

As it currently sits, it appears the team probably needs to get out to a 4-0 lead every game to give Skinner room to breathe if they want any chance to win. Apparently even 4-1 isn't good enough to keep him from shitting his pants.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Exclusively blaming Skinner (you're clearly not doing that) doesnt address the real problems in this game.

I cued up this podcast to start at the point at which the goals are evaluated.
I think that Struds and Brownie are spot on....

Haven’t watched it yet but I will. In almost certain their evaluations will line up with mine anyways. They usually are.

Reactions: guymez

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I’ve suspected all year McDavid is still fighting an injury. He’s probably had more pucks stripped or tipped away from him or flat-out mishandled, and more missed shots on net this year, than in all his previous seasons combined. We’ve all watched his entire career and it’s obvious he’s not at 100% of his full capabilities. I said it a few months ago, healthy McDavid is unquestionably the best player in the game and wins the Art Ross handily.

It’s not his fault and I don’t hold it against him but this team can only go as far as he can carry them. 0 shots on net in a massive playoff game is alarming to me.

Reactions: rec28 and McAsuno

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

That may be the most frustrating part of this. I wasn't upset about the first goal, even if I think he should have read it better to at least get over and attempt a save, but when he took that penalty and the team completely shut it down, he owed them at least one if not two big saves. He didn't deliver any and ultimately allowed his last 4 goals on what was rated as an expected 0.43 goals against.

Reactions: iCanada and Echodek

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Yes there were mistakes that led.up to them but the last 4 Canuck goals were all pretty innocent plays. Skinner imploded. Hopefully he can bounce back.

Reactions: Echodek

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
I’m more angry than anything. I really thought this team would learn from past mistakes. This is playoff hockey, if you have a 4–1 lead you tighten it up and win the game. No one excels more at defeating themselves than the Oilers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The puck went in directly off Skinners misplaced stick. As many times as you attempt to find a hidden shooter on a grassy mount. ;)
Nurse boots Skinners paddle causing Skinners paddle to bank the puck into the net. That’s on Nurse. There’s no shooter in the hidden grass, if anything that’s you blaming every single goal on Skinner. Here watch the replay. Specifically the overhead view on Goal 2.

Where skinners stick is on that play is standard position for goalies. If the puck hits that stick its either stopped or banks into skinners left pad sealed to the ice and it’s a nothing play. But instead Nurses boot catches Skinners paddle and Nurse creates the bank into the net.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Hardly anybody else even mentioned the inane penalty Skinner took. Lets also recap that play that happened just moments after he shit the bed on the first goal. Skinner attempts to stop up puck, but due to having edge skating difficulty that frequently occurs in his game he stumbles and falls down. I mean this is routine, no impedence, nobody around, he falls down. That this happens regularly is a level of inept we shouldn't even be seeing commonly in an NHL starter. The crowd immediately (and rightly) starts jeering Skinner, laughing at him. Perhaps embarassed he's now rattled, shoves the puck a bit, not enough and then shoves it again outside the trapezoid. With Ekholm basically there watching the whole thing. SkinnerL I didn't play the puck outside the trapezoid did I. Yeah you did. Skinner didn't even know. ffs.

Last night I was having visions of Skinners move across where he twirls across spinning in a circle hsi move across is so bad. Trust me you're not seeing this type of poor edges and poor moves across from the Other goalies.

Fact of the matter is on winning goal Garland pump fakes from what should be a harmless angle because he knows it will work on Skinner. I give him credit. He's done his homework. I've said all along more shooters from wing that are moving should pump fake on Skinner. It completely fries him.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I’ve suspected all year McDavid is still fighting an injury. He’s probably had more pucks stripped or tipped away from him or flat-out mishandled, and more missed shots on net this year, than in all his previous seasons combined. We’ve all watched his entire career and it’s obvious he’s not at 100% of his full capabilities. I said it a few months ago, healthy McDavid is unquestionably the best player in the game and wins the Art Ross handily.

It’s not his fault and I don’t hold it against him but this team can only go as far as he can carry them. 0 shots on net in a massive playoff game is alarming to me.

Ya McDavid looks just like a regular star this year. Not the clear cut best player in the world that he is. He normally beats Hronek in space but he got checked so easily.

Reactions: barry halls

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I didn't say that.
Of the two goalies I expect skinner has more ability to rebound. Given the team also looked like zombies i don't understand why the sky is falling so hard. Maybe I'm too optimistic but games from the doldrums of trending toward missing the playoffs and 5th in 8 days with no mcdavid doesn't change my mind.

If we come out flat next game maybe I'll revaluate, but I can't see us losing this series.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Haven’t watched it yet but I will. In almost certain their evaluations will line up with mine anyways. They usually are.
Same for me.
Skinner IMO was to blame (at least in part) for the last 2 goals, The team (most notibly Nurse) played a role in almost every one of them.
Nurse was absolute garbage. He is supposed to be anchoring his pairing and at this point in time he couldnt carry Zedorovs jock. He is playing like he has no brains and he has no desire to hit.

You just cant have you highest paid dman being this bad.
If he isnt at least the 4th best dman on this team then they arent winning much of anything.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Aside from all the Ceci/Nurse/Skinner stuff which I will leave the rest of you to go over...

SHOOT THE PUCK -- I know that Van locked it down pretty well, but I could not believe after that Hyman goal that every puck that crossed the Canucks blueline wasn't immediately on net. Silovs looked horrendous.

It's one game. And it's a game 1, which we never win, but that one stung.

Need a better effort on Friday.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Your take on these goals is simply absolving Skinner.

Goal one is a setplay a team can use anytime that is pretty hard to stop and if your goalie is inept reading the play. Guess where an astute goalie would be positioned on that play ready for the rebound? Nah, we have Skinner not sure whats happening.

2 Simple question. What did the puck bounce off? Why was Skinner leading his stick so far ahead of pads that a player could bank it in off his stick. You seem to ignore if Skinners stick is where it’s supposed to be Nurse doesn't touch it, even if he did.
2nd goal Nurse boots skinners paddle. Puck banks in because of that. There’s video evidence. If you can’t admit to your wrong take here then there’s no point in discussing any blame on any of the goals.

Same for me.
Skinner IMO was to blame (at least in part) for the last 2 goals, The team (most notibly Nurse) played a role in almost every one of them.
Nurse was absolute garbage. He is supposed to be anchoring his pairing and at this point in time he couldnt carry Zedorovs jock. He is playing like he has no brains and he has no desire to hit.
Yup. I blame him for goals 4 and 5. I also blamed him for goal 2 along with Nurse Ceci until I watched the replay. So GYB put goals 4 and 5 on Skinner too?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They rallied? When? They went more than a period's worth of hockey without recording a shot on goal. They made zero effort to try and stem the tide. Their game plan for two periods was chip the puck out and make soft plays along the wall.
For what it worth, over the last 24 minutes of the game, Edmonton had the better of the Expected Goal share (0.423 xGA vs 0.746 xGF 63.8 xG%)

They didn't accomplish much offensively, but the played a very strong stretch of defensive hockey from the last TV timeout of the 2nd period until the end of the game, but Skinner couldn't help himself.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
2nd goal Nurse boots skinners paddle. Puck banks in because of that. There’s video evidence. If you can’t admit to your wrong take here then there’s no point in discussing any blame on any of the goals.

Yup. I blame him for goals 4 and 5. I also blamed him for goal 2 along with Nurse Ceci until I watched the replay. So GYB put goals 4 and 5 on Skinner too?
Yes...thats correct......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad