Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The Avs actually showed up to the game they lost.

The Oilers lost 4 straight to Vancouver and had a chance for some revenge and showed up for a total of 15 minutes and got absolutely creamed for the rest of it and Vancouver didn’t even play that good themselves.

Colorado is a winner with a winners mindset.
I don’t know what the f*** this team even was thinking tonight.
I always said Nashville or Vancouver is highly beatable.

Fully expect Dallas or avs to handle nurse skinner ceci and our bottom 6 easily.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Not panic. We should still be able to beat the Nucks but anybody after will beat us with 5 goal Skinner in net. This is not close to the kind of goaltending that can get you series results against good teams.

The other thing is this is a Tocchet team. He played and preached hard work and momentum and doing anything to get results. its the DNA of anything he's involved with. That DNA just got stronger and the Nucks just owned Skinner again after owning him all season. Skinner hasn't been close to even usable in ANY of the games this season against the Nucks. Thats starting to look like a concern.
Well hopefully the team doesn't care about who is next because they need to focus on this opponent.

That DNA isn't worth anything until I see the Oilers actually show up and lose in the same game.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
I wonder what the Oilers felt to that point knowing they already scored 4 and that Skinner let in two stinkers on really what shouldn't even have been scoring chances.
And therein may lie the reason we had no shots on goal the last half of the game. Hard to press offensively if you feel you have to do everything you can to prevent anything from going anywhere near the net. We’ve seen this before.

Reactions: iCanada

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeh it’s a problem. I had hope in the regular season that Nurse was turning the corner, but the REAL test was always going to be in big games. Big games is where his brain goes to sleep. Whether by lack of intensity or mis plays or both.

I didn’t think we could do anything about the 9.25M Nurse though in way of trade or upgrade. But Ceci could have been replaced with someone that may be a better match for Nurse.
Man...when a team has a $9.25M liability (that hurts hi steam far too often) its so so hard to recover from that.

I mean the Canucks coaching staff deserves credit for focussing on that paring and exploiting them.
I still dont know what the F Nurse was doing (I think it was the tying goal) leaving a Canucks player all alone at the side of the net while he sits in no mans land and watches the puck go right to that player.
I watched that and honestly couldnt figure out WTF he was doing.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If we get only 4 years of "contention" after 13 years of SHEER incompetence and 33 years of non-contention I might just lose my mind.
I mean, with Nurses contract, McDavid and Drai with pending extensions and Bouchard too, this team that struggles to have any depth will only get worse. The window was always till their contract extensions, we haven’t drafted, traded or signed well enough for anything past that.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
In that span, I would've used it. Team turtled and it cost them. They still barely attacked after the canucks got the game leading goal. They were flustered and falling on the ice all over the place. Knoblauch as the head coach should've taken control and got the team's heads back to normal, but he didn't. Just bad coaching tonight.
I think this fanbase often confuses turtling with an inability to generate anything because of getting clamped and/or a lack of speed throughout the lineup.

When a team pressures our D, we can't break out at all. We're forced to chip the puck out or make sloppy breakout, which means we're always chasing the game, and thus never able to generate offense.

This team doesn't try and not generate offense ever. They get shut down because of their transition game under pressure

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well hopefully the team doesn't care about who is next because they need to focus on this opponent.

That DNA isn't worth anything until I see the Oilers actually show up and lose in the same game.
They showed up in our 4th game against Vancouver and still lost. We were missing McDavid they were missing Demko.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You cannot be an Oiler fan and possibly believe the bolded lol
Not the regular season but in the playoffs I do think that has merit.
I have watched a few different series and that has been the case so far.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And therein may lie the reason we had no shots on goal the last half of the game. Hard to press offensively if you feel you have to do everything you can to prevent anything from going anywhere near the net. We’ve seen this before.
This is exactly as I saw it. The Oilers were playing prevent because the players once again started to believe that any shot could find the net behind Skinner. This is exactly what was derailing our season in the first month. Yep, we've seen this before.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Meanwhile the "hold"(embellishment by Hughes), and "trip"(embellishment by Pete) were hilarious calls. Didn't lose us the game, but the NHL choosing to neutralize our most elite part of our game is pretty f***ing lame.

That ugly f***face Tocchet-out-his-ass pre-emptively whined about the reffing, maybe that dipshit Kozari fell for it?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Shoot the f***ing puck, Connor. Also get Janmark off his f***ing line. I don't dislike Janmark, but how the f*** is he on L1? There's been enough games to show evidently enough that Janmark is NOT a top 6 forward. Get that shit out of here, Knoblauch. Play Dylan Holloway if Henrique isn't back next game otherwise GTFO.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
View attachment 867646
Nurse/Ceci. How is this still a pairing?
Everything that told us this pair sucked: Stats. Eye test. Advanced stats. Previous history. Pundits. Fans around the league.

And yet, Holland sits on his hands and doesn’t try to upgrade. Oh wait he did try with Gudas in the offseason, so he f***in knew back then. Then decided to run it back anyways.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I mean, with Nurses contract, McDavid and Drai with pending extensions and Bouchard too, this team that struggles to have any depth will only get worse. The window was always till their contract extensions, we haven’t drafted, traded or signed well enough for anything past that.

Things can always happen though. The cap is going up. We're getting a new GM. Nurse could wake up one morning in August with a career ending injury.

Things happen.

Reactions: Tom Brady

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think this fanbase often confuses turtling with an inability to generate anything because of getting clamped and/or a lack of speed throughout the lineup.

When a team pressures our D, we can't break out at all. We're forced to chip the puck out or make sloppy breakout, which means we're always chasing the game, and thus never able to generate offense.

This team doesn't try and not generate offense ever. They get shut down because of their transition game under pressure

Ceci and Nurse were the prime example of it. I'd rather see Taylor f***ing Chorney and Jason Strudwick out there than watch those 2 pylons together.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Shoot the f***ing puck, Connor. Also get Janmark off his f***ing line. I don't dislike Janmark, but how the f*** is he on L1? There's been enough games to show evidently enough that Janmark is NOT a top 6 forward. Get that shit out of here, Knoblauch. Play Dylan Holloway if Henrique isn't back next game otherwise GTFO.

Janmark had a good game. He wasnt the problem.
I honestly thought that McDavid looked injured. He was a non factor and this team cant afford that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Things can always happen though. The cap is going up. We're getting a new GM. Nurse could wake up one morning in August with a career ending injury.

Things happen.
We aren’t going to be better when McDrai are out of their primes.
We have zero prospects with a damn on their way.
We aren’t Colorado. We aren’t Dallas.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Know it will never happen but draw in stretcher instead of ceci. I mean nurse sucks but maybe improves things slightly.

Also we need someone to call out the refs the way that degenerate gambler tocchet did. Isnt Holland mr connected in the league? Not a single f***ing penalty all game? Really? Shameful.

Last suggestion Gagner in for someone in the bottom six. Don't know who but honeslty he can't be worse.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

To be fair, McDavid nor Janmark aren't even in the top 10 of things that went wrong tonight.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Everything that told us this pair sucked: Stats. Eye test. Advanced stats. Previous history. Pundits. Fans around the league.

And yet, Holland sits on his hands and doesn’t try to upgrade. Oh wait he did try with Gudas in the offseason, so he f***in knew back then. Then decided to run it back anyways.

Holland needed to get a legitimate upgrade on Ceci, yes

However, the coach has a better option in Stecher, and if he refuses to use him, that's on him.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Did anyone see the Drai injury? He was favouring a leg in the 3rd and missed some shifts.
Hoping it’s only minor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad