Post-Game Talk: Nurse Skinned the Oilers

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Looked like a non-contact back injury midway through the 2nd period. Oilers were up 4-1 and him coming up lame 10 seconds in the shift seemed to spook the whole team. They played like crap right after that.
For good measure Zadorov sticks him in the back two times with two handers and Drai didn't even have the puck. Wouldn't even have been called without Drai retaliating.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
I guess one positive is they lost in regular time. I would of been pissed staying up another hours to watch them lose.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
McD hasn't shown up in a single game against the Canucks this season. What is his issue performing against this club? He botched several pass receptions 3 that would have been breakaways. His passing was to the Nucks most of the night. At no point did McDavid really bring much of anything. How do you play a game 1 this lacksadaisical? EV, McD hasn't shown up in playoffs yet. WE only got the one PP.
I'm not expecting the Oilers to get more than one power play per game in this series. Drai gets dragged to the box when there should have only been one penalty called there. If he didn't slash the clown back there would have been zero penalties. The Holland penalty was a joke as was Browns. Vancouver embelleshed on both those calls.

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That 3rd period could not have possibly been worse. All that waiting for the series to start and we get embarrassed in front of entire country tonight when it looked like we had the game in the bag earlier on!

If Draisaitl can't play and we lose the next game, get ready for the most embarrassing playoff elimination in franchise history. We can still salvage this but Nurse and the usual suspects can't keep playing like idiots!
Drai will play. And of course we can salvage this. It’s only 1 game. A 1 goal game at that.

Reactions: TB12 and Macheteops

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Thats fair comment but thats also revisionist. The Oilers got the goals, thats defacto part of how things went. Score effects and all Nucks were playing at home and down 2-3 goals multiple times. Oilers felt they had enough. thats a mistake with Skinner in net.

This kind of underlines my point that Skinner results in Kings series were misleading becasue the only King feeling it, at all, was Kempe.
22 minutes without a shot after this goalie lets in two bad goals was just so frustrating. My son and I said to start the third next goal wins.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
1. I can’t defend Skinner tonight.
2. Nurse and Ceci were as bad as I’ve ever seen them.
3. Team far too passive once we were up a couple goals.
4. Giveaway after giveaway and lots of odd man rushes against.
5. Gaffes on clearing attempts/icing the puck.
6. Should’ve rested Drai in the 3rd. When you’ve got McDavid, RNH, McLoed, Ryan and Holloway all available, wtf are you doing?

Entirely winnable game, thrown onto the camp fire.

Disgusted.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not expecting the Oilers to get more than one power play per game in this series. Drai gets dragged to the box when there should have only been one penalty called there. If he didn't slash the clown back there would have been zero penalties. The Holland penalty was a joke as was Browns. Vancouver embelleshed on both those calls.
Hollland didn't play. He didn't do much all offseason. ;)

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Skinner with another fiver.

Oh btw thanks guys for not shooting from everywhere Vs the echl goalie

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
They are. They're not fluky when they happen on a regularly occurring basis. Teams know he's prone to weak goals against.

Yeah I think it's video. And it seems to happen a bunch with Nurse/Ceci.

Bank it from weird angles, throw it at the d-man skating in front of Skinner. Too many times to be a coincidence, no other NHL goalie lets in that many wacky ones

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The Canucks absolutely owned the Oilers in the 2nd half of the game.
They completely neutralized McDavid in this game. He was a non factor and if you can do that to McDavid then you have a much much better chance of beating the Oilers. Thats exactly what the Canucks did and the refs helped.
Then there was Mr $9.25M...what a joke Darnell Nurse is. He should be the best dman on the ice most of the time instead he is a liability. The Canucks absolutely dominated the Nurse pairing.
The Oilers highest paid pairing.
Nurse should feel ashamed everytime he gets paid.

The Oilers also didnt create enough in this game. The Canucks didnt even get good goaltending in this game. The Oiler had what...one shot in the 3rd period?
That is brutal.
That should have been an automatic win with a 3 goal lead instead the boys choked in the big moment.
They can recover from this but there is no candy coating this loss...it is a devastating loss.

At this point in time I wouldnt be surprised if the Oilers have to be wondering if they can even beat the Canucks.
Now we find out how much instestinal fortitude this team has because the pressure is squarely on them for game 2. Lose that game after choking on this game and the series will be in serious jeopardy.

If the leadership can't get that out of their heads and move on, trade them in the off-season and rebuild

They won't win anything.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
And maybe not slash back in retaliation would help the team too.. it was game over if Zadorov went in the box by himself.
I don't think they were gonna call anything until the retaliation tbh.

Reactions: LTIR

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
A lot of people blaming the D and the goaltending but 7 shots in 40 minutes just isn’t it. They stopped playing at 4-1. This is the playoffs. That can’t happen.

D were a contributor to the lack of shots due to the fact that they couldn’t make a f***ing pass if their lives depended on it. Truly an awful game from the whole group. Kulak and Ekholm are the only two that I would say weren’t a joke, but they weren’t levels above that designation either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad