Nurse or Klefbom

Would you trade Nurse or Klefbom?

• Total voters

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
FWIW, I would trade Nurse over Klefbom.

However, I do think Holland should try his best to add 1 more defenseman without trading anyone we currently have on the blue line. I think we'd be much better if everyone slotted in one spot lower than where they are right now.

Trade the 2021 first. Trade prospects. Carolina has an excess on D that they probably want to trade off before expansion.

I know it's probably impossible but one can hope. Just get it done Holland.
Carolina won't trade a D who are better than Klef or Nurse though. We could get Skjei, Gardiner, Bean

If you are after Pesce, Slavin, or even Hamilton, you have to help them upgrade at center.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm only moving one of those guys in a trade for a clear upgrade. Whoever that is I don't really care.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As much as I want Nurse gone. He won't be traded, nor Klefbom. We will see Russel like cap dumped with Caleb Jones taking full-time duties. We may see Benning moved and possibly Adam Larsson. If Larsson is moved, then Russel probably staying as we can't move his cap.
I could see that happening. We need to make room for Jones and Bouchard. Also, it looks like Benning is worth keeping. We have to find someone to take Larsson and Russell then. That's not too bad considering they are only signed for next season. They are still effective as well.

Russell might be challenging because of his NTC but on the plus side, if there's a team cutting costs his deal is good for that since it has very low real dollars. COVID likely made him much more tradeable if some owners got torched. Russell is pretty good, too

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Benning or Russell will be the odd one out. I don't see the market where we can get a player better then Nurse or Klef and if we did it would cost too much either through trade or FA

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I could see that happening. We need to make room for Jones and Bouchard. Also, it looks like Benning is worth keeping. We have to find someone to take Larsson and Russell then. That's not too bad considering they are only signed for next season. They are still effective as well.

Russell might be challenging because of his NTC but on the plus side, if there's a team cutting costs his deal is good for that since it has very low real dollars. COVID likely made him much more tradeable if some owners got torched. Russell is pretty good, too
If we manage to dump Russell without taking back cap I wonder if we go after a bigger FA like Hoffman.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
We keep both, unless we can package one for a substantial upgrade.

I think of things a bit differently.
We have 4 "veteran" Dmen.

Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, and Russell.
In terms of ability, there really isn't a ton separating those 4.

The odd men out are likely Larsson and Russell due to Free Agency next season.

They're also not much different than the guys riding shotgun to elite #1Dmen.
They are on par with guys like Ceci, Scandella, Lindell, .

Do people realise a castoff like Bogosian is riding shotgun to Hedman?

Anyways, we keep both until we can upgrade (not likely)
Even then Russell and Larsson are gone next season anyways.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
BTW we are banking on hopes we can develop a #1Dman out of Bear, Bouchard, and Bro.

If Bear can make another "jump" like he did this past season, I could see him becoming a Duncan Keith clone.

We need to start feeding him some special teams time to see what he has.

I wish I could find the old HFChicago thread on Keith when he was starting out. you guys would laugh.
Prone to brainfarts, no physical tools. People talking about how they just didn't see an NHL calibre Dman out of him....

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
We keep both, unless we can package one for a substantial upgrade.

I think of things a bit differently.
We have 4 "veteran" Dmen.

Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, and Russell.
In terms of ability, there really isn't a ton separating those 4.

The odd men out are likely Larsson and Russell due to Free Agency next season.

They're also not much different than the guys riding shotgun to elite #1Dmen.
They are on par with guys like Ceci, Scandella, Lindell, .

Do people realise a castoff like Bogosian is riding shotgun to Hedman?

Anyways, we keep both until we can upgrade (not likely)
Even then Russell and Larsson are gone next season anyways.
Disagree with the above. Nurse and Klefbom are still top 4 defensemen. Ceci doesn't even belong in the NHL.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Be careful. Trade these guys and watch them thrive elsewhere like Petry, Schultz, Marino etc.

Our issue isn't them as much as it is we lack either a true number 1, or strong enough depth around them.

Look at the last 2 cups Pittsburgh won. After Letang I'd argue our 2-7 dmen are just as good if not better. I think they even won one with him injured?

Patience.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
BTW we are banking on hopes we can develop a #1Dman out of Bear, Bouchard, and Bro.

If Bear can make another "jump" like he did this past season, I could see him becoming a Duncan Keith clone.

We need to start feeding him some special teams time to see what he has.

I wish I could find the old HFChicago thread on Keith when he was starting out. you guys would laugh.
Prone to brainfarts, no physical tools. People talking about how they just didn't see an NHL calibre Dman out of him....

What the Oilers are doing with Bear, i.e. saddling him with nightmarish responsibility all season, and in a playoff round no less, is exactly what not to do with young D. I mean I think he's resilient but I already see some of the trauma and the effects on him as a player.

1) A guy that initially was hitting an up ice quick pass almost refuses to do this now and is instead making board rattling passes.

2)Bear used to sidestep forecheckers a lot and had the confidence to do this. It was like watching a mobile QB evade backfield tacklers. This would buy him time, and create openings to exploit.

3)Bear now is often seen stationary with puck, gets clobbered, dispossessed of puck because he's small and getting caught by forecheck. This is happening commonly now

4)Bear is making far less jumps in the offensive zone, and this was a prior strength and he was able to support offense earlier

These are the kind of shifts already happening in Bears game and paralysis, and fear, has set in. I think the playoff series particularly could play with his head in offseason.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One of your worst posts ever, well done.
I don't get Klefboms game, and probably because there isn't all that much to it and there isn't one facet of his game that is all that good. Combine with a ten cent head and I wouldn't have been spending 10yrs time on this guy. He's 27 now and what is he? The Oilers org let better D than this go. Give me Petry in a moment over Klefbom.

Whenever I ask, in terms of on ice attributes what Klef does well people respond with some type of advanced stats rubbish, if they even can put something together. It seems even fans of this player cannot describe in words what they like about his game.

Finally ridding ourselves of Klefbom would remove his next to nothing contribution from our PP, and would stop Nuge from passing it back to him purposely 3 times in a row until the pass is picked off.

We have multiple D coming up that are better PP options.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Be careful. Trade these guys and watch them thrive elsewhere like Petry, Schultz, Marino etc.

Are issue isn't them as much as it is we lack either a true number 1, or strong enough depth around them.

Look at the last 2 cups Pittsburgh won. After Letang I'd argue about 2-7 dmen are just as good if not better. I think they even won one with him injured?

Patience.

Klefbom is 27. I agree as far as Nurse, who is still 25, that there is still hope for more upside. But Klef is a written book at this point and I'd have no trouble shutting it.

Pitssburgh had Letang. Important difference. Similarly Chicago just beat us with Duncan Keith and an assembly of D. One elite D can make a huge difference in a lineup and often does.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Klefbom is 27. I agree as far as Nurse, who is still 25, that there is still hope for more upside. But Klef is a written book at this point and I'd have no trouble shutting it.

Pitssburgh had Letang. Important difference. Similarly Chicago just beat us with Duncan Keith and an assembly of D. One elite D can make a huge difference in a lineup and often does.

Which is why I would give Nurse away practically for free if someone would take Neal with him... On the condition that we can use that space on Pietrangelo.

That said I don't think that will happen. My guess is he either finds a way to stay, or ends up in Toronto after they move Marner.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't get Klefboms game, and probably because there isn't all that much to it and there isn't one facet of his game that is all that good. Combine with a ten cent head and I wouldn't have been spending 10yrs time on this guy. He's 27 now and what is he? The Oilers org let better D than this go. Give me Petry in a moment over Klefbom.

I'm not gonna try and change your mind since it's obviously made up but to say the guy wouldn't even make the lineup of any other team is just beyond stupid.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not gonna try and change your mind since it's obviously made up but to say the guy wouldn't even make the lineup of any other team is just beyond stupid.

Good thing I never stated that.

It could be that misquoting somebody, changing what they stated, and bolding it is a pointless exercise.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Come on man:

Yep. Thanks for confirming you altered what I had stated. What I mean in the statement, perhaps could have worded it better, is that Klef would just be a 3,4,5 on most teams, (I stand by that) and that he wouldn't even fit on some clubs. (I stand by that)

The way you altered my statement changed the meaning to Klef wouldn't be good enough to play on any other squads. I don't know you could even get that from what I stated.

Classic strawman response.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Benning has to go.

2018-2020:
Klefbom: 10th in TOI/GP, 20th in EVTOI/GP
Nurse: 19th in TOI/GP, 6th in EVTOI/GP

A "top4 by committee" doesn't work when you have to shelter your bottom pairing so much that you have both your other pairings playing #1D minutes.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yep. Thanks for confirming you altered what I had stated. What I mean in the statement, perhaps could have worded it better, is that Klef would just be a 3,4,5 on most teams, (I stand by that) and that he wouldn't even fit on some clubs. (I stand by that)

The way you altered my statement changed the meaning to Klef wouldn't be good enough to play on any other squads. I don't know you could even get that from what I stated.

In the context of the whole post which was going on about how terrible you think Klefbom is, it's entirely reasonable to interpret "if he even made their lineup" as about not being good enough, not about "fit".

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad