McKenzie: "Nurse negotiations are not going well at all" (Oilers offer 2 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Might want to re-read my post. 5-on-5 and Even Strength are two different things. I said Nurse had one less point at 5-on-5 than Hamilton (it was actually 3 fewer points), and one less than Giordano at even strength.

5-on-5
Hamilton: 27 points
Nurse: 24
Giordano: 22

Even Strength
Hamilton: 32
Giordano: 27
Nurse: 26

Quit while you're not too far behind. Nothing you've posted on this page has been remotely accurate and you've also been talking out both sides of your mouth as shown earlier.

I did miss that, my mistake. So I guess we're just going to ignore a huge facet of the game like special teams production then because Darnell doesn't get any. Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth :laugh:

Who gives two craps what the Oilers blue line looked like five years ago? Completely irrelevant.

You say so. The fact it really hasn't improved all that much seems to be relevant.

A player benefits from playing on the same team as the best player in the world. Cutting-edge analysis.

So you agree then? Some people need the obvious pointed out for them.

If you're going to use points to make an argument you should make sure it will actually help what you are trying to say. Nurse was 20th overall in the league at 5-on-5 and 34th at EV, and you're trying to downplay that after you compared him to Deryk Engelland for points-per-game.

Well, I mean he had right around the same points-per-game as Deryk Engelland. So I don't understand how they wouldn't be comparable. He's also had only 1 year of +20pts.

Sure, it's clear what your intentions are. Same with about five other Flames fans who entered in here to post garbage. Nurse was worthy of $5M+ earlier in the thread but now is suddenly only a mediocre #3 or #4. Those players don't get $5M/season. I'm guessing you were just taking Nurse's side when it was reported talks weren't going well and now that the Oilers might sign him after the Morrissey contract you've decided he's actually a poorer player.

On a long term deal? Maybe he would be. It'd probably be close and both long term and short term would carry some risk. Not many contracts in this league don't. I've said many many times I'm not enamored with Nurse, don't really think I'm the only one in Alberta at this point regardless of fandom. But sure, everybody who has a different opinion than you do is garbage and is trolling. Welcome to the internet.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I did miss that, my mistake. So I guess we're just going to ignore a huge facet of the game like special teams production then because Darnell doesn't get any. Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth :laugh:
You brought up points as a reason why he's a mediocre middle pairing dman, completely ignoring that he doesn't play on the PP or play in an offensive role. That's important.

You say so. The fact it really hasn't improved all that much seems to be relevant.
So this regime has had one great season and one bad season in the past two years. But let's bring up Andrew Ference and Justin Schultz because those two will have any bearing on how the Oilers will do next season.

"But he has McDavid on his team" is used for every Oiler player on here. It was used for Maroon, it's constantly used for Draisaitl. McDavid will be on the team for the next eight years, so get used to it. Nurse suddenly isn't going to stop playing with him once he signs his contract, especially if he keeps progessing and is on the top pairing.

Well, I mean he had right around the same points-per-game as Deryk Engelland. So I don't understand how they wouldn't be comparable. He's also had only 1 year of +20pts
Nurse has not been used in an offensive role in his career. I don't know many times I need to point it out but he had a strong showing at 5-on-5 and even strength last season for points.

On a long term deal? Maybe he would be. It'd probably be close and both long term and short term would carry some risk. Not many contracts in this league don't. I've said many many times I'm not enamored with Nurse, don't really think I'm the only one in Alberta at this point regardless of fandom. But sure, everybody who has a different opinion than you do is garbage and is trolling. Welcome to the internet.
It's garbage and trolling when you're on two different sides of an argument in the exact same thread.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

Well, I mean he had right around the same points-per-game as Deryk Engelland. So I don't understand how they wouldn't be comparable. He's also had only 1 year of +20pts.

I haven't met an Oilers fan in real life who doesn't like Nurse. I constantly see Nurse jerseys around the city

Aug 10, 2015
would you swap Nurse&Pulju to Trouba?

Short answer....No.

Longer answer, I wouldn't swap Nurse straight up for 1 year of Trouba (Trouba will not resign in Edmonton any more than he will resign in Winnipeg), let alone throwing in Jesse. Nurse is happy playing in Edmonton, and will be an Oiler for a long time....Trouba has been reportedly asking out of Winnipeg and wants to play in the US for several years.

Reactions: Homesick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Instead of reading the shit show I'm sure this thread has become, is there any "updates" since it was rumored things were going poorly and the Oilers offered a two-year deal?

Reactions: Las Llamas

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Instead of reading the **** show I'm sure this thread has become, is there any "updates" since it was rumored things were going poorly and the Oilers offered a two-year deal?
Aparrently there "is a gap" and Nurse wants closer to 3.75 or 4 and mgmnt are closer to 3. However, with JoMo signing I think he'll come in at 2 years x 3.2 million.

Reactions: Walk with Elias

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You brought up points as a reason why he's a mediocre middle pairing dman, completely ignoring that he doesn't play on the PP or play in an offensive role. That's important.

Don't see how that makes points scored irrelevant. You've still yet to provide me an argument a player that has averaged 20 points/82 games in his career should be considered a top pairing dman. Or even a good/great 2nd pairing dman. Ekholm, Petry, Krug, Braun, Manson, are all examples of great 2nd pairing dmen. Darnell Nurse isn't there yet. It's about where the player would be playing under ideal circumstances.

So this regime has had one great season and one bad season in the past two years. But let's bring up Andrew Ference and Justin Schultz because those two will have any bearing on how the Oilers will do next season.

Well you brought up how since he played top pairing minutes, he must be top pairing quality. Those guys are an illustration of how that's not always the case, especially in Edmonton. There's a multitude of examples around the league of players playing out of their depth because their team lacks what would be ideal personnel. Is Ty Rattie really a 1st line winger?

"But he has McDavid on his team" is used for every Oiler player on here. It was used for Maroon, it's constantly used for Draisaitl. McDavid will be on the team for the next eight years, so get used to it. Nurse suddenly isn't going to stop playing with him once he signs his contract, especially if he keeps progessing and is on the top pairing.

It's used because playing with the best player in the world elevates these players and makes them appear better than they are. See: Draisaitl and his 68 million dollar contract.

Nurse has not been used in an offensive role in his career. I don't know many times I need to point it out but he had a strong showing at 5-on-5 and even strength last season for points.

Fine. Conceded. He has had exactly one relatively speaking strong showing production wise at even strength. As I'm sure Chiarelli is trying to convey to him and his agent, that simply doesn't mean that much.

It's garbage and trolling when you're on two different sides of an argument in the exact same thread.

What two sides? I originally stated that the DeKeyser and Skjei contracts could be used as decent comparables if Darnell were to receive a long term deal. Looks like he won't be, so I agreed with another poster 4 million would be too much on a shorter bridge deal. Really don't know where you're coming from with this playing both angles thing.

But I digress, that's more than enough of my time spent talking about the paragon of adequacy that is Darnell Nurse. Hope he sticks it to Chiarelli for all he's worth. Which is not really that much.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Aparrently there "is a gap" and Nurse wants closer to 3.75 or 4 and mgmnt are closer to 3. However, with JoMo signing I think he'll come in at 2 years x 3.2 million.
So, Nurse is willing to take a bridge then? Often the term can be a more difficult thing to negotiate than the AAV itself on these RFA contracts.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
So, Nurse is willing to take a bridge then? Often the term can be a more difficult thing to negotiate than the AAV itself on these RFA contracts.
Seems like the 2 years have been agreed upon, the AAV is the hold up. Nurse and his camp believe that he can earn a lot more on a long term deal after a 2 year bridge and its easier on our cap situation to go 2 years lower AAV and see what we have in him before locking him up for big bucks.

Reactions: Walk with Elias

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Nurse is my hero
But its Chiarelli that I love
So torn I am
As the Flames look down from above

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Don't see how that makes points scored irrelevant. You've still yet to provide me an argument a player that has averaged 20 points/82 games in his career should be considered a top pairing dman. Or even a good/great 2nd pairing dman. Ekholm, Petry, Krug, Braun, Manson, are all examples of great 2nd pairing dmen. Darnell Nurse isn't there yet. It's about where the player would be playing under ideal circumstances.
I don't think you're even reading my posts at this point. You claimed he was nothing more than a mediocre second pairing defenseman. I pointed out that he played on the top pair last year and had a good season. Why does this need to be explained further? Points aren't everything when evaluating players, particularly defensemen and particularly players who aren't put in offensive roles. The fact is he was one of the higher scoring defensemen in hockey last season at 5-on-5 and even strength.

He is not going to put up a ton of points if he's not given opportunities to play in offensive situations like the power play. That hasn't been his game up to this point. But 26 points, all that were even strength, is good as shown by where it ranked with every other dman in the league last season.

But since you keep harping on the point argument, look at who you brought up:

Mattias Ekholm - Five years older, only twice in his career has he put up more points than Nurse just did. At 23-years-old he had 9 points in 62 games

Jeff Petry - Seven years older, only once had more than 28 points in a season and over half of them were on the PP. At 23-years-old he had 25 points

Josh Manson - You're going on about Nurse only exceeding 20 points once in his career and you bring up a player who has only also done it once? He's also three years older. When he was Nurse's age he had 3 points in 28 games.

Justin Braun - never had more than Nurse's career high until this past season. Eight years older than Nurse. Only had 9 points when he was 23-years-old before turning 24 in his rookie season.

Give me a break. Do some research before you post next time. Krug is the only one to consistently put up more points and that's because he racks up a good amount on the PP every season.

Well you brought up how since he played top pairing minutes, he must be top pairing quality. Those guys are an illustration of how that's not always the case, especially in Edmonton. There's a multitude of examples around the league of players playing out of their depth because their team lacks what would be ideal personnel. Is Ty Rattie really a 1st line winger?
I brought up that he played top pairing last season and had a good year. Ference or Schultz have absolutely nothing to do with the argument. If he played top pairing and was bad like they were, you'd have a point but you don't.

No idea what you're getting at with Rattie. He's a cheap winger playing with McDavid. Not comparable in the least to a young defenseman playing top minutes and excelling.

It's used because playing with the best player in the world elevates these players and makes them appear better than they are. See: Draisaitl and his 68 million dollar contract.
Every player in the league who plays with elite teammates sees an increase in points. Look at the with/without numbers for literally any player in the league.

What two sides? I originally stated that the DeKeyser and Skjei contracts could be used as decent comparables if Darnell were to receive a long term deal. Looks like he won't be, so I agreed with another poster 4 million would be too much on a shorter bridge deal. Really don't know where you're coming from with this playing both angles thing.
You brought up two players, who've played top pairing and make over $5M, as "decent" comparables for Nurse earlier in the thread. Now you've changed your mind and he's nothing more than a mediocre second pairing defenseman for an unexplained reason.

But I digress, that's more than enough of my time spent talking about the paragon of adequacy that is Darnell Nurse. Hope he sticks it to Chiarelli for all he's worth. Which is not really that much.
Very big of you. I'm sure we'll see you in the signing thread posting about what an overpay the contract is regardless of what he gets.

For someone who doesn't understand why people are concerned with such an average player you have managed to write up a bunch of posts in here. You're incapable of keeping an argument straight.

Last edited:

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
It looks like the Oilers have a problem child on our hands. Funny, so do the Devils with Miles Wood. Perhaps there is a way for both teams to walk away from these situations happy and improve respective areas of need. :sarcasm:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I don't think you're even reading my posts at this point. You claimed he was nothing more than a mediocre second pairing defenseman. I pointed out that he played on the top pair last year and had a good season. Why does this need to be explained further? Points aren't everything when evaluating players, particularly defensemen and particularly players who aren't put in offensive roles. The fact is he was one of the higher scoring defensemen in hockey last season at 5-on-5 and even strength.

He is not going to put up a ton of points if he's not given opportunities to play in offensive situations like the power play. That hasn't been his game up to this point. But 26 points, all that were even strength, is good as shown by where it ranked with every other dman in the league last season.

But since you keep harping on the point argument, look at who you brought up:

Mattias Ekholm - Five years older, only twice in his career has he put up more points than Nurse just did. At 23-years-old he had 9 points in 62 games

Jeff Petry - Seven years older, only once had more than 28 points in a season and over half of them were on the PP. At 23-years-old he had 25 points

Josh Manson - You're going on about Nurse only exceeding 20 points once in his career and you bring up a player who has only also done it once? He's also three years older. When he was Nurse's age he had 3 points in 28 games.

Justin Braun - never had more than Nurse's career high until this past season. Eight years older than Nurse. Only had 9 points when he was 23-years-old before turning 24 in his rookie season.

Give me a break. Do some research before you post next time. Krug is the only one to consistently put up more points and that's because he racks up a good amount on the PP every season.

Did I say he's a mediocre second pairing defenseman and that's all he ever would be? No I did not, so don't put words in my mouth. Players who get bridge deals are usually signed for what they are right now, that's why it's considered a bridge deal, to "bridge" them to their next stage of development. All these players are better than Darnell right now and are examples of above average second pairing D. Nurse is simply not there yet.

I brought up that he played top pairing last season and had a good year. Ference or Schultz have absolutely nothing to do with the argument. If he played top pairing and was bad like they were, you'd have a point but you don't.

Just because he didn't fall on his face in that role doesn't mean it's the one he's most suited to. There aren't many true top pairing players that have sub 30 point production, in fact I would say there are none. Just because the Oilers have three that could fit that category doesn't mean he's ascended. Context matters.

You brought up two players, who've played top pairing and make over $5M, as "decent" comparables for Nurse earlier in the thread. Now you've changed your mind and he's nothing more than a mediocre second pairing defenseman for an unexplained reason.

Again they are top pairing by necessity on two of the shallowest blue lines in the leauge. They would be second pairing on any of the stronger blue lines throughout the league, and probably middle of the pack ones at that. Two players with similar experience and similar usage that had similar results at the times they signed their long term deals. Skjei actually had a season much better than any of Darnell's so maybe he's not the greatest example but that was with a better team around him and more OZS. Never changed my mind at all, what you seem to be ignoring is that in one post I'm talking about a long term contract, and in another I'm talking about short term. I've explained my reasons, it's not that Nurse is bad, it's that there are a whole lot of players better than him.

Very big of you. I'm sure we'll see you in the signing thread posting about what an overpay the contract is regardless of what he gets.

For someone who doesn't understand why people are concerned with such an average player you have managed to write up a bunch of posts in here. You're incapable of keeping an argument straight.

See ya there :thumbu: try sticking to arguing the content of the post rather than all the personal attacks. Just comes across petty and ignorant.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Short answer....No.

Longer answer, I wouldn't swap Nurse straight up for 1 year of Trouba (Trouba will not resign in Edmonton any more than he will resign in Winnipeg), let alone throwing in Jesse. Nurse is happy playing in Edmonton, and will be an Oiler for a long time....Trouba has been reportedly asking out of Winnipeg and wants to play in the US for several years.

but...hypothetically, if Trouba did agree to an extension in Edm, would you make this trade?

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Always interesting to poke and see what the oilers want. There is a solid trend about players doing so much better once they leave edmonton.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Always interesting to poke and see what the oilers want. There is a solid trend about players doing so much better once they leave edmonton.
it's a tough place to play. If the team is losing the players cannot go anywhere without getting chirped. Would take its toll on anybody. That said when the team is good players are treated as godlike.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
but...hypothetically, if Trouba did agree to an extension in Edm, would you make this trade?

That hypothetical contract would very likely be more expensive than the long term contract for Nurse that we can't afford.

On top of that you take our top prospect that is still on his ELC and likely to be signing a bridge deal himself next summer that will still be relatively cost contained.

In a non-cap vacuum, I'd still have to think long and hard about Trouba for Nurse straight up... I view Trouba as a great #2 and Nurse with that same potential, but currently a #3. Accepting/rejecting would have a lot to do with how I viewed Bouchard. (Trouba gives more offense than Nurse and is more established, but if Nurse fills potential & Bouchard does as well, you'd regret the deal)

The add of Pulju is a complete non-starter. He's still a lottery ticket, but I wouldn't get the value for that ticket to part with it... the upside is just too great vs the realistic return one would get. Even in this deal, he's a throw in for two good young defensemen that (considering cap) one could have a legit preference for one or the other... on that basis, he'll boom or bust with Edmonton, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad