Nurse in the NHL - 9 Games?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Hunt should be down in the AHL regardless of how good his slapshot is. Klefbom should be in his spot. Nikitin still looks pretty rusty and should probably have some time to heal up while Marincin takes his spot. We all know that Nurse is going back to junior so why waste him up here just sitting in the press box?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think Nurse is fragile. He could develop well with the Pietrangelo path or with a Griffin Reinhart path. If we're going the Pietrangelo path, I see a lot of value in him practicing regularly with the team and for our staff to have full access to his physical development. He would also do well if he moved back to Ontario and played a lot of minutes every night. I like that we stretch out those 9 games and select which ones he plays in, which would be good for him and also the team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't think Nurse is fragile. He could develop well with the Pietrangelo path or with a Griffin Reinhart path. If we're going the Pietrangelo path, I see a lot of value in him practicing regularly with the team and for our staff to have full access to his physical development. He would also do well if he moved back to Ontario and played a lot of minutes every night. I like that we stretch out those 9 games and select which ones he plays in, which would be good for him and also the team.

I agree. Handling Nurse with kid gloves makes infinitely more sense than hurrying to play him ASAP.

Klefbom howver could be handled differently..maybe the Oilers try him instead of Hunt in LA. Hunt has trouble with big forwards and his foot speed is questionable. Too bad his skating wasnt better because he is the best PP option on D this team has.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hunt should be down in the AHL regardless of how good his slapshot is. Klefbom should be in his spot. Nikitin still looks pretty rusty and should probably have some time to heal up while Marincin takes his spot. We all know that Nurse is going back to junior so why waste him up here just sitting in the press box?

I think that everyone on Hfboards needs to read this over 3-5 times.

Hunt has nothing other than a sweet slapshot.
Klefbom should be in the AHL when our d-men area healthy.
Aulie should be out #7 d-man.
Marincin should be up here.

I'm kinda losing my patience with Ference, but we've only played a few games.

If he's still sucking it this bad 10 games into the season I have him play the roll of #7 d-man.

Oh we can't do that to our captain, can we?

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
The NHL is not a babysitting league. If the coaching staff kept Nurse up, they shouldn't feel the need to protect him against certain teams. We're in the toughest division in hockey. If we're looking for ways to ease Nurse in, it will be hard. The California teams are all big and strong. Calgary and Phx always play a blue collar game. There aren't many easy opponents in the West. If the coaching staff feels Nurse is ready, play him. If they feel he needs more developing, send him back. Really the only reason they haven't played him at this point is seniority, because let's face it, all 3 left side defenders (Nikitin, Hunt, Ference) have been hot garbage so far.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Remember how awesome Gagner looked in his first year? Yeah. He played well when we gave him protected minutes.

Yeah, but that was then, this is now. Playing Nurse against the Kings would be just... iditioc beyond words. There's no such thing as protection against that team.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I guess Nurse and Klefbom get to collect NHL paychecks while they are up in the NHL? I suppose that's a reward for good preseasons.

I would actually like to see them ice 7 defensemen against the Kings. With both Klefbom and Nurse coming into the line up. This also provides some leeway to double shift wingers.

Sit Hendricks against the Kings. Sit Hunt as well. Put the bigger D men in for the Kings.

Schultz - Nurse
Fayne - Nikitin
Ference - Petry
Klefbom

Petry, Nikitin and Schultz work the PP. Klefbom, Fayne, Nurse and Nikitin on the PK.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't see an issue with having Nurse with the team. Practice with the team is one thing but I also think that just being around and taking part in everything can be very valuable. Learning the system in training and seeing it from the box in preparation for future games is not a bad thing imo.

(I know I know, the system is crap and eakins should be fired, but still you get my point...)

McOilers4cup

Finally
Jul 14, 2007
High Hopes
@EdmontonJack: Not much you can deduce from today's line combos in El Segundo, but reasonable to think Nurse makes NHL debut (paired w/Schultz) vs Kings.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Sit Hendricks against the Kings. Sit Hunt as well. Put the bigger D men in for the Kings.

Schultz - Nurse
Fayne - Nikitin
Ference - Petry
Klefbom

Almost there. Swap Hunt for Ference and that works.

Ference is doing nothing. Sit him a game. See how he reacts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad